Using an extension lead for charging - Audi E-Tron EV Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Using an extension lead for charging

I live in the UK and am considering buying an e-tron but I have some concerns about how I will charge the car when staying at relatives' houses or when staying in a holiday cottage. I would be in areas where there are no public charging stations so would therefore need to plug in to a domestic 3-pin socket using a heavy duty extension lead (fully unwound of course) with an RCD. However, I am concerned that Audi say that an extension lead should not be used. I do know that people are using extension leads to charge their i-pace and Tesla but have not heard of anyone doing this with the e-tron. Have any of you successfully done this?
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
I live in the UK and am considering buying an e-tron but I have some concerns about how I will charge the car when staying at relatives' houses or when staying in a holiday cottage. I would be in areas where there are no public charging stations so would therefore need to plug in to a domestic 3-pin socket using a heavy duty extension lead (fully unwound of course) with an RCD. However, I am concerned that Audi say that an extension lead should not be used. I do know that people are using extension leads to charge their i-pace and Tesla but have not heard of anyone doing this with the e-tron. Have any of you successfully done this?
Hi,

I tried all option on charging and even used a normal 3 pin with a normal extension lead. Charging is however only 1.4KW so slow but works. Also you can set the charge box to 50% load so far I see on the manual.
The 5 pin cable charges at 4.8KW so faster, I used a 20m cable here again on 50% load (I see this on the charge box). Both worked fine. In Austria I even had to use a pin converter for charging as the 3 pin sockets are different from swiss to Austria.

I think if you use a normal extension lead (not the once on a roll) and the better quality (heavy duty once) should be fine, I had no issue with it.

S4 Cabrio, ABT SQ7, e-tron Limited Edition one
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info peter, that is reassuring.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalesman View Post
Thanks for the info peter, that is reassuring.
Welcome

S4 Cabrio, ABT SQ7, e-tron Limited Edition one

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page