Audi e-tron Forum banner

Window camera issues

49K views 148 replies 29 participants last post by  JamieMac 
#1 ·
While driving in the rain yesterday, the driver side window camera display suddenly became so dull as to be unreadable. The touchscreen functionality disappeared. Passenger side screen as bright as before. Checked and cleaned the camera, no dirt obstructing it.
Today on starting the car, back to normal brightness and touchscreen working.
Wonder if it is a water leakage issue, or wiring getting trapped as I am manually folding the rear view at my work car park due to narrow spaces. Or could be a display problem. Got in touch with the dealership, who have not heard of this issue.
Will update.

#4 · (Edited)
Update, the wing camera problem has returned!
On starting the car with driver side wing camera folded in when parked ( limited parking space width at work), screen goes completely dull, and touchscreen sensitivity lost. Passenger side camera bright as usual. No amount of fiddling with the folding arm makes any difference.
Dangerous trying to change lanes and no warning if a car in drivers blind spot, flashing yellow warning lights not working either.
Contacted Poole Audi, blasé response that Audi UK are aware of the software issue and working on a solution.
For now: “find a safe parking space, turn off engine for at least 15 minutes and the MMI software will reset itself”.
No idea when the issue will be resolved, senior management have promised to contact Audi UK today.

#105 ·
Update, the wing camera problem has returned!
On starting the car with driver side wing camera folded in when parked ( limited parking space width at work), screen goes completely dull, and touchscreen sensitivity lost. Passenger side camera bright as usual. No amount of fiddling with the folding arm makes any difference.
Dangerous trying to change lanes and no warning if a car in drivers blind spot, flashing yellow warning lights not working either.
Contacted Poole Audi, blasé response that Audi UK are aware of the software issue and working on a solution.
For now: “find a safe parking space, turn off engine for at least 15 minutes and the MMI software will reset itself”.
No idea when the issue will be resolved, senior management have promised to contact Audi UK today.
same issue although not folding the side camera. I was told that condensation (water) behind lens is normal and you have to click the rear window Demister which demists the side mirrors as well. However after this I have water marks on back of lens which dulls the video image.

#5 · (Edited)
Update on recall.
Car went in on 19th for resealing charging socket.( the original recall)
In the process, the whole module got warped and unresponsive ( apparently a common problem).
Was informed that driver side charging would not work, but could still use AC charging on passenger side! Not possible for me as home charger on driver side and cord won’t extend to other side.
Replacement ordered, would take 2 weeks.
At same time, Audi UK have asked for front and rear tow hooks to be checked, as may need replacement, due to not enough depth to fix properly; on mine , rear ok but front needs replacing, part needs to be ordered, front bumper needs to be removed.
Car staying in dealership for 5 days, not sure if I want it back anymore.
Official complaint put in to Audi as car not fit for purpose.
By the way, camera screen software update due on 7th October.

#8 ·
Delivery of New Car Blocked by Audi UK

I've had two calls from my Audi dealer saying that Audi UK have put a block on delivering all new etrons to all UK dealers due to the drivers side camera issue. They mentioned this is something to do with only right hand drive vehicles. They cannot tell me when my car is going to be delivered. Is anyone else getting the same story ?

#9 ·
delivery issues?

I should have received my new Audi e Tron 55 with virtual mirrors 2 weeks ago but a day before delivery I received a message from Audi that there is an immediate block on the delivery of any new e Tron 55 with virtual mirrors. Since then I have not received any further information from Audi, thus I do not know when I will receive my new car nor what the problem is on which they cannot stand up to their delivery promises? By the way, I am in The Netherlands so it doesn't seem to be a UK problem? Does anybody know what is going on?

#10 ·
Virtual Mirrors - Delivery Delay

I received this message today from the WhatsApp Audi Concierge:

Thank you. We're yet to announce when we expect this issue to be resolved and also when the Audi e-tron will be open for ordering again. We hope you don't have to wait too long for the announcement. Thank you for your patience.

It seems you can’t even order an Etron let alone get an idea when current orders maybe delivered. This must be one **** of an issue.

Attachments

#11 ·
My order also overdue because of Virtual Mirrors. I sincerely hope it is not a right hand drive problem as this inevitably slows things down. (I recall the Mercedes GLC Crabbing issue!) My dealer has been very good about it and guaranteed trade in offer but it is incredibly frustrating. I suspect Audi would have made a more concrete announcement by now if they had a fix!

#12 ·
Hi everyone. I ordered my launch edition etron in June (in the UK) and was given a delivery date of December/Jan. Being in no rush to receive the car (I had a nice F-Pace on a PCP), I received a phone call out of the blue in late September from my salesman telling me the car was due for delivery at the end of September and would I be happy to collect. I changed a few plans at short notice and was set for a collection date of 30th Sept. However on the big day, was told (only hours before heading to the dealership) of the aforementioned door mirror issue and Audi UK's embargo on deliveries.

So my car is sat at the dealership waiting for this fix. The Audi dealership has been excellent however; they have been very apologetic and have lent me a nice Q7 to drive in the meantime. Not my personal taste, but a very nice gesture nonetheless. But there is an odd lack of info coming through from HQ about this. I'm a little concerned that the door mirror malfunction has been picked up by the DVSA and that might be the end of the virtual door mirrors on etrons!

#14 ·
Ditto - My car is sitting at dealers awaiting resolution of Virtual Mirror issue. I read on another forum that it is a hardware problem and that parts (new control units) had been sent out to dealers, however, my dealer made no mention of this. A bit of information and honesty from Audi would prevent this issue growing arms and legs!

#18 ·
I’ve encountered the same problem with my drivers side camera and can never be sure when it’s going to go wrong. I returned the car to my Audi dealer and understand from them that Audi aware of the problem but have yet to issue a ‘fix’ for the problem. I would have hoped they would deal with this urgently as we’re being asked to embrace the new camera technology and the intermittent fault is quite dangerous. Have been waiting for a few weeks now for an update.

#20 ·
I have the same issue, had it for the entire time the car is now 5months. Audi Changed som boxes inside but it didn’t help. Still waiting for another box, but Audi cancelled the shipment without a notice to my dealer, don’t know why. I have a left side steering one in Sweden, and the problem is only on the left side.

Also had a couple of other errors like the flickering backlight. total collapse of all of the sensors (the car prompted for like 3minutes with all sorts of errors, like missing wheels, broken headlights...) currently the worst thing is that the cruise control doesn’t work at all.

#22 ·
Further to my previous post I have now received the promise from Audi that the parts that need to be replaced to the virtual mirror in order to get allowance to deliver the car are ordered and on its way. I have received the written promise that everything will be done and my car will be released and delivered latest upcoming Thursday (14/11). I will keep you posted.

#25 ·
I'm in the same position here, my launch edition has been sat in the dealership for 7 weeks now, I was about to cancel the car on Friday when the dealer emailed and said his MD had been to a meeting with Audi and they had discussed the camera issue, quote" the fix will be issued by the end of November, although this is not a promise".

I haven't cancelled yet but will defiantly do so if my car is not on the road by November 30th.

Out of interest Robaloth, what country are you in that you will receive a fix by 14th November.

#30 ·
Picked up Friday, love the colour and the quality of materials......
However, my ‘fixed’ virtual mirrors didn’t last long!
First trip after pick up from dealer they both failed after less than a mile! It seemed to be the screens that were misting up obscuring view. When they work they are brilliant but it is clear that no fix has been found as yet.

#32 ·
That’s sad to hear, though congratulations on getting your new car!
Seems to have made things worse, because all previous reports have only involved the driver side screen, which has the touchscreen functionality.
So what is Audi doing about it?