E-TRON issues and fixes so far - Audi E-Tron EV Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation E-TRON issues and fixes so far

Hi all,

I like to summarise a list of all the issues I have so far with the etron limited edition one and which once have been fixed by audi.
Also I will try to provide a list of all error codes encountered on the car and what has been done to it to solve them.

As of the 27.11.2019 I should get the car back and then I will summarize what is what, hopefully this will help and ensure you can contact you garage to get fixes or updates for the car..

End of the day we paid a lot of money for faulty goods.... (nice goods but never the less faulty)
GMTRB5 likes this.

S4 Cabrio, ABT SQ7, e-tron Limited Edition one
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Here is the initial list of issues what I see on my E-Tron Limited Edition One in Switzerland:

1.) Error msg on child safety
The system displays an error msg regarding the child safety
Fix Status: Open

2.) Parking sensors - Issue 1
Depending on parking condition the sensor react often without something near the parking zone.

3.) Parking sensors - Issue 2
Depending on location condition the sensor do not react to a wall or object within the set alarm zone of the sensors.

4.) Lane change assist
With the virtuell mirrors the lane change assistants does not warn for traffic. The yellow frame around the mirror is not shown.

5.) Boot lid - Issue 1
The sensors of the boot lid are to sensitive, it can happen that the lid closes while you are loading the car

6.) Boot lid - Issue 2
When cleaning the car with a pressure hose and washing above the number plate (where the camera is) it can happen that the lid opens suddenly.

7.) When driving certain speeds, car jerks
When driving off with the car in certain temperatures the car feels as it is jerking. This happens when driving e.g. at 50 to 80 and whereby the petal is hardly pressed
Fix Staus: Open

8.) Mirror - Issue 1
The right hand mirror (left hand drive) fails. This happens unter the following conditions:
a.) When a passenger gets in the car and door is closed
b.) When road is uneven and a small bump happens

9.) Mirror - Issue 2
The right hand mirror is much brighter then the left hand mirror

10.) Mirror - Issue 3
The left hand mirror darkens suddenly. This is mostly seen in wet conditions

11.) Mirror - Issue 4
Total failure of left hand mirror whereby the mirror freezes and it is not possible to change position using the touch screen of the mirror, both mirrors can then not be adjusted.

12.) Mirror - Issue 5
On rainy days the mirror seem to fog up / show moister on the lens

13.) Mirror - Issue 6
On rainy days at night the right hand mirror shows only a spider web on the display when a car passes (driver side, night, rain) which makes it impossible to see anything.

14.) MMI Favourites lost
On starting the car it happens that the Favourites are not shown (note they are still there but not shown)
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved this issue, at the moment I keep an eye on it for the next 30 days.

15.) Opening Doors - Issue 1
When the door is not fully shut, just on semi lock, then it is nearly impossible to open the driver door. It takes several attempts to open the door then.
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved it, so far I can not reproduce this issue

16. ) Opening Doors - Issue 2
When the doors are fully closed and after a drive it sometimes take 2 pulls to open the door of driver side

17.) Brake disk noise - Issue 1
On low speed breaking without the e-brake a grinding noise is there.

18.) Brake disk rust - Issue 2
The brake clean function seems not to work correctly as brakes still set rust on the disk and causing the grinding noise

19.) Error msg on adaptive cruise control
Ever so often a error msg is shown that the adaptive cruise control is not function correctly.

20.) Warning about holding the steering
The yellow and red warning light is displayed that the driver should hold the steering wheel. This is very intermittent and happens even if you hold the steering wheel (not even on bendy roads).
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have fix the sensitivity of it, I am watching this at the moment if it really has solved it

21.) Sudden Breaking
The car in certain condition brakes hard without warning or reason for it.
Fix Status: Workaround - Garage has set sensitivity to sport until fix is available

22.) Instand Windows fog up
In cold condition driving in a tunnel the front and side windows fog up instantly
Fix Status: Unknown if there will be something for it. But I think there should be a heat flow on the outside over the front window to mimic the engine heat to prevent the sudden fog up.
Workaround: Before driving in a tunnel in winter condition switch on MAX defrost and switch on wipers if needed (helps me to keep the windows clear). I think as on the electric car the heat flow from the engine bay is missing the window fog up on the out side and inside on quick temperature change extrem fast.

23.) Tip charging
Should you be unable to remove the charging cable use the key to lock / unlock the car and press again, Once the light above the socket is seen unplugging is OK. I seen this 2 times only and I think it has to do with the security lock so no one can pull of the charging cable when u are not in the car (lock feature). However I will dig after this with the garage.... and see what is the feedback

This sums up the issues I have on my car. If you see or have the same issues would be great to let all know which ones you have. If you have a issue not on this list let me know I will add it.
Hopefully the more people putting on pressure the faster the fixes are coming....
Thanks...
rrao56 and ex-expats like this.

Last edited by peter; 11-23-2019 at 05:58 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Also the following has a fix on the etron

A.) On front doors and back doors there will be apparently new release cables / mechanism change - This has also to do with the door issues on the etron so far I know.
B.) The rear motor power cable (or one power cable on the rear) will receive a shield to prevent rubbing on the cable to prevent shortening should the cable be rubbed blank. Not sure which one but so far I know is on the fix list from Audi.

The 2 above are listed for fix on my car next week. Will let you know later next week what exactly has been done to it on point A & B.

Thanks

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

a few more things to the list above (sorry cant edit the original post.

24.) Heating during charging period
When the car is on charge it is not possible to heat the car. The air-condition unit is then not working for heating or cooling during the charging period. During the winter month when you are at a charging point and wait in the car it becomes very cold and there is no way to heat the car.

25.) Brake Pads – Become sticky on handbrake mode
The car has 5000km on it and I start to notice that the brake pads become sticky when handbrake is engaged. After a drive and when the car is then parked over night next day the pads are sticky and cause a clunk and jerk on release / drive off next day. This is a brake pad issue…

26.) Hand brake – not breaking fully when pulled in parking mode
OBSERVATION:
Not sure but I need to test this a little more. But I think the hand brake when pulled when the car is parked on a decline/hill is not fully stopping the car. I will investigate this some more, if this is the case or not. I noticed last time going in the garage that the car had a slight movement forward.
Will keep you posted on this one if it is a problem or not, inclusive the rate of decline when it happens.

Thanks

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the detailed list! Will be interesting to see how Audi respond to these!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 03:16 PM

Peter I feel your pain. I could not possibly want to experience your issues. Not an EV owner yet but sure looking forward to it and a better experience.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Tron View Post
Peter I feel your pain. I could not possibly want to experience your issues. Not an EV owner yet but sure looking forward to it and a better experience.
Hi,
Like a Monday car lol, but I think these are issues most will have and hopefully they solve it. I will see by tomorrow as the car is in since yesterday for fixes and so far what I can see there is a lot of fixes and updates to be done in the garage.
It is a pain but even with all this the car is a good car, very comfy and great to drive otherwise. Bets part is over 5000km now and no fuel cost as I have several free 22-50KW free charge ports here. So at least some bonus...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTRB5 View Post
Thanks for the detailed list! Will be interesting to see how Audi respond to these!
Yes will be interesting to see, hopefully this will help others in respect to fixes and issues they may have...

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

1.) Error msg on child safety
The system displays an error msg regarding the child safety
Fix Status: Closed
Fix Type: Software Update

2.) Parking sensors - Issue 1
Depending on parking condition the sensor react often without something near the parking zone.

3.) Parking sensors - Issue 2
Depending on location condition the sensor do not react to a wall or object within the set alarm zone of the sensors.

4.) Lane change assist
With the virtuell mirrors the lane change assistants does not warn for traffic. The yellow frame around the mirror is not shown.

5.) Boot lid - Issue 1
The sensors of the boot lid are to sensitive, it can happen that the lid closes while you are loading the car
Fix Status: Recall Open

6.) Boot lid - Issue 2
When cleaning the car with a pressure hose and washing above the number plate (where the camera is) it can happen that the lid opens suddenly.

7.) When driving certain speeds, car jerks
When driving off with the car in certain temperatures the car feels as it is jerking. This happens when driving e.g. at 50 to 80 and whereby the petal is hardly pressed

8.) Mirror - Issue 1
The right hand mirror (left hand drive) fails. This happens unter the following conditions:
a.) When a passenger gets in the car and door is closed
b.) When road is uneven and a small bump happens
Recall: 66L1
Fix Type: Software Update, Display Change, ECU Change, Shielding ECU

9.) Mirror - Issue 2
The right hand mirror is much brighter then the left hand mirror
Like Point 8 Above

10.) Mirror - Issue 3
The left hand mirror darkens suddenly. This is mostly seen in wet conditions
Like Point 8 Above

11.) Mirror - Issue 4
Total failure of left hand mirror whereby the mirror freezes and it is not possible to change position using the touch screen of the mirror, both mirrors can then not be adjusted.
Like Point 8 Above

12.) Mirror - Issue 5
On rainy days the mirror seem to fog up / show moister on the lens
Like Point 8 Above

13.) Mirror - Issue 6
On rainy days at night the right hand mirror shows only a spider web on the display when a car passes (driver side, night, rain) which makes it impossible to see anything.
Like Point 8 Above

14.) MMI Favourites lost
On starting the car it happens that the Favourites are not shown (note they are still there but not shown)
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved this issue on (my end), at the moment I keep an eye on it for the next 30 days.
Fix Status: Recall Open however

15.) Opening Doors - Issue 1
When the door is not fully shut, just on semi lock, then it is nearly impossible to open the driver door. It takes several attempts to open the door then.
Fix Status: Closed - Recall: 57H3 - A software & HW update seems to have solved it, so far I can not reproduce this issue

16. ) Opening Doors - Issue 2
When the doors are fully closed and after a drive it sometimes take 2 pulls to open the door of driver side
Fix Status: Closed - As Point 15 above

17.) Brake disk noise - Issue 1
On low speed breaking without the e-brake a grinding noise is there.
Fix Status: Observation, they cleaned and check that all is correct on pad and disk, so will keep an eye on it

18.) Brake disk rust - Issue 2
The brake clean function seems not to work correctly as brakes still set rust on the disk and causing the grinding noise
Fix Status: As point 17 above

19.) Error msg on adaptive cruise control
Ever so often a error msg is shown that the adaptive cruise control is not function correctly.
Fix Status: Closed - Recall on it, I don't have the number for it, but was software update.

20.) Warning about holding the steering
The yellow and red warning light is displayed that the driver should hold the steering wheel. This is very intermittent and happens even if you hold the steering wheel (not even on bendy roads).
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have fix the sensitivity of it, I am watching this at the moment if it really has solved it

21.) Sudden Breaking
The car in certain condition brakes hard without warning or reason for it.
Fix Status: Workaround - Garage has set sensitivity to sport until fix is available

Thanks...
rrao56 and Rowanlaw like this.

Last edited by peter; 11-26-2019 at 01:34 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 08:28 PM

Unhappy Experiencing many of the same issues

Peter, thank you for this thorough list. I am especially thankful because I am experiencing almost all of the same issues and now I know I'm not alone.

(There are two major exceptions to the problems I'm experiencing: Nothing related to virtual mirrors, because they're not allowed in the USA, and nothing related to very cold weather, because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.)

The most concerning for me is your item #5, namely the boot lid (tailgate on this side of the Atlantic) closing while loading the boot (trunk). This has happened multiple times to me and to others while loading my e-tron; the first time the lid actually hit me, because I didn't realize what was happening. I find it ridiculous that if I have my cellphone in the same pocket as my e-tron key my tailgate opens only about 50% of the time (almost 100% when my key is in a different pocket), but it sometimes closes on its own. It seems the sensors suffer from both false negatives when it's closed and false positives when it's open. Such a poor design!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page