Audi e-tron Forum banner

E-TRON issues and fixes so far

56K views 39 replies 22 participants last post by  wolflead6 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

I like to summarise a list of all the issues I have so far with the E-Tron limited edition one and which once have been fixed by Audi.
Also, I will try to provide a list of all error codes encountered on the car and what has been done to it to solve them.

As of 27.11.2019 I should get the car back and then I will summarize what is what, hopefully, this will help and ensure you can contact your garage to get fixes or updates for the car.. 😄

End of the day we paid a lot of money for faulty goods.... (nice goods but never less faulty)

#2 · (Edited)
Here is the initial list of issues what I see on my E-Tron Limited Edition One in Switzerland:

1.) Error msg on child safety
The system displays an error msg regarding the child safety
Fix Status: Open

2.) Parking sensors - Issue 1
Depending on parking condition the sensor react often without something near the parking zone.

3.) Parking sensors - Issue 2
Depending on location condition the sensor do not react to a wall or object within the set alarm zone of the sensors.

4.) Lane change assist
With the virtuell mirrors the lane change assistants does not warn for traffic. The yellow frame around the mirror is not shown.

5.) Boot lid - Issue 1
The sensors of the boot lid are to sensitive, it can happen that the lid closes while you are loading the car

6.) Boot lid - Issue 2
When cleaning the car with a pressure hose and washing above the number plate (where the camera is) it can happen that the lid opens suddenly.

7.) When driving certain speeds, car jerks
When driving off with the car in certain temperatures the car feels as it is jerking. This happens when driving e.g. at 50 to 80 and whereby the petal is hardly pressed
Fix Staus: Open

8.) Mirror - Issue 1
The right hand mirror (left hand drive) fails. This happens unter the following conditions:
a.) When a passenger gets in the car and door is closed
b.) When road is uneven and a small bump happens

9.) Mirror - Issue 2
The right hand mirror is much brighter then the left hand mirror

10.) Mirror - Issue 3
The left hand mirror darkens suddenly. This is mostly seen in wet conditions

11.) Mirror - Issue 4
Total failure of left hand mirror whereby the mirror freezes and it is not possible to change position using the touch screen of the mirror, both mirrors can then not be adjusted.

12.) Mirror - Issue 5
On rainy days the mirror seem to fog up / show moister on the lens

13.) Mirror - Issue 6
On rainy days at night the right hand mirror shows only a spider web on the display when a car passes (driver side, night, rain) which makes it impossible to see anything.

14.) MMI Favourites lost
On starting the car it happens that the Favourites are not shown (note they are still there but not shown)
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved this issue, at the moment I keep an eye on it for the next 30 days.

15.) Opening Doors - Issue 1
When the door is not fully shut, just on semi lock, then it is nearly impossible to open the driver door. It takes several attempts to open the door then.
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved it, so far I can not reproduce this issue

16. ) Opening Doors - Issue 2
When the doors are fully closed and after a drive it sometimes take 2 pulls to open the door of driver side

17.) Brake disk noise - Issue 1
On low speed breaking without the e-brake a grinding noise is there.

18.) Brake disk rust - Issue 2
The brake clean function seems not to work correctly as brakes still set rust on the disk and causing the grinding noise

19.) Error msg on adaptive cruise control
Ever so often a error msg is shown that the adaptive cruise control is not function correctly.

20.) Warning about holding the steering
The yellow and red warning light is displayed that the driver should hold the steering wheel. This is very intermittent and happens even if you hold the steering wheel (not even on bendy roads).
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have fix the sensitivity of it, I am watching this at the moment if it really has solved it

21.) Sudden Breaking
The car in certain condition brakes hard without warning or reason for it.
Fix Status: Workaround - Garage has set sensitivity to sport until fix is available

22.) Instand Windows fog up
In cold condition driving in a tunnel the front and side windows fog up instantly
Fix Status: Unknown if there will be something for it. But I think there should be a heat flow on the outside over the front window to mimic the engine heat to prevent the sudden fog up.
Workaround: Before driving in a tunnel in winter condition switch on MAX defrost and switch on wipers if needed (helps me to keep the windows clear). I think as on the electric car the heat flow from the engine bay is missing the window fog up on the out side and inside on quick temperature change extrem fast.

23.) Tip charging
Should you be unable to remove the charging cable use the key to lock / unlock the car and press again, Once the light above the socket is seen unplugging is OK. I seen this 2 times only and I think it has to do with the security lock so no one can pull of the charging cable when u are not in the car (lock feature). However I will dig after this with the garage.... and see what is the feedback

This sums up the issues I have on my car. If you see or have the same issues would be great to let all know which ones you have. If you have a issue not on this list let me know I will add it.
Hopefully the more people putting on pressure the faster the fixes are coming....
Thanks...

#40 ·
Here is the initial list of issues what I see on my E-Tron Limited Edition One in Switzerland:

Depending on parking condition the sensor react often without something near the parking zone.

Depending on location condition the sensor do not react to a wall or object within the set alarm zone of the sensors.

4.) Lane change assist
With the virtuell mirrors the lane change assistants does not warn for traffic. The yellow frame around the mirror is not shown.

5.) Boot lid - Issue 1
The sensors of the boot lid are to sensitive, it can happen that the lid closes while you are loading the car

6.) Boot lid - Issue 2
When cleaning the car with a pressure hose and washing above the number plate (where the camera is) it can happen that the lid opens suddenly.

When driving off with the car in certain temperatures the car feels as it is jerking. This happens when driving e.g. at 50 to 80 and whereby the petal is hardly pressed
Fix Staus: Open

8.) Mirror - Issue 1
The right hand mirror (left hand drive) fails. This happens unter the following conditions:

9.) Mirror - Issue 2

10.) Mirror - Issue 3

11.) Mirror - Issue 4
Total failure of left hand mirror whereby the mirror freezes and it is not possible to change position using the touch screen of the mirror, both mirrors can then not be adjusted.

12.) Mirror - Issue 5

13.) Mirror - Issue 6
On rainy days at night the right hand mirror shows only a spider web on the display when a car passes (driver side, night, rain) which makes it impossible to see anything.

14.) MMI Favourites lost
On starting the car it happens that the Favourites are not shown (note they are still there but not shown)
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved this issue, at the moment I keep an eye on it for the next 30 days.

When the door is not fully shut, just on semi lock, then it is nearly impossible to open the driver door. It takes several attempts to open the door then.
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved it, so far I can not reproduce this issue

When the doors are fully closed and after a drive it sometimes take 2 pulls to open the door of driver side

The brake clean function seems not to work correctly as brakes still set rust on the disk and causing the grinding noise

Ever so often a error msg is shown that the adaptive cruise control is not function correctly.

The yellow and red warning light is displayed that the driver should hold the steering wheel. This is very intermittent and happens even if you hold the steering wheel (not even on bendy roads).
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have fix the sensitivity of it, I am watching this at the moment if it really has solved it

21.) Sudden Breaking
Fix Status: Workaround - Garage has set sensitivity to sport until fix is available

22.) Instand Windows fog up
In cold condition driving in a tunnel the front and side windows fog up instantly
Fix Status: Unknown if there will be something for it. But I think there should be a heat flow on the outside over the front window to mimic the engine heat to prevent the sudden fog up.
Workaround: Before driving in a tunnel in winter condition switch on MAX defrost and switch on wipers if needed (helps me to keep the windows clear). I think as on the electric car the heat flow from the engine bay is missing the window fog up on the out side and inside on quick temperature change extrem fast.

23.) Tip charging
Should you be unable to remove the charging cable use the key to lock / unlock the car and press again, Once the light above the socket is seen unplugging is OK. I seen this 2 times only and I think it has to do with the security lock so no one can pull of the charging cable when u are not in the car (lock feature). However I will dig after this with the garage.... and see what is the feedback

This sums up the issues I have on my car. If you see or have the same issues would be great to let all know which ones you have. If you have a issue not on this list let me know I will add it.
Hopefully the more people putting on pressure the faster the fixes are coming....
Thanks...
=
Was #20 actually fixed? Wife still has same problem.

#3 ·
Also the following has a fix on the etron

A.) On front doors and back doors there will be apparently new release cables / mechanism change - This has also to do with the door issues on the etron so far I know.
B.) The rear motor power cable (or one power cable on the rear) will receive a shield to prevent rubbing on the cable to prevent shortening should the cable be rubbed blank. Not sure which one but so far I know is on the fix list from Audi.

The 2 above are listed for fix on my car next week. Will let you know later next week what exactly has been done to it on point A & B.

Thanks

#4 ·
a few more things to the list above (sorry cant edit the original post.

24.) Heating during charging period
When the car is on charge it is not possible to heat the car. The air-condition unit is then not working for heating or cooling during the charging period. During the winter month when you are at a charging point and wait in the car it becomes very cold and there is no way to heat the car.

25.) Brake Pads – Become sticky on handbrake mode
The car has 5000km on it and I start to notice that the brake pads become sticky when handbrake is engaged. After a drive and when the car is then parked over night next day the pads are sticky and cause a clunk and jerk on release / drive off next day. This is a brake pad issue…

26.) Hand brake – not breaking fully when pulled in parking mode
OBSERVATION:
Not sure but I need to test this a little more. But I think the hand brake when pulled when the car is parked on a decline/hill is not fully stopping the car. I will investigate this some more, if this is the case or not. I noticed last time going in the garage that the car had a slight movement forward.
Will keep you posted on this one if it is a problem or not, inclusive the rate of decline when it happens.

Thanks

#7 ·
Hi,
Like a Monday car lol, but I think these are issues most will have and hopefully they solve it. I will see by tomorrow as the car is in since yesterday for fixes and so far what I can see there is a lot of fixes and updates to be done in the garage.
It is a pain but even with all this the car is a good car, very comfy and great to drive otherwise. Bets part is over 5000km now and no fuel cost as I have several free 22-50KW free charge ports here. So at least some bonus...

#9 · (Edited)
Fix Status: Closed
Fix Type: Software Update

4.) Lane change assist

5.) Boot lid - Issue 1
Fix Status: Recall Open

6.) Boot lid - Issue 2

8.) Mirror - Issue 1
Recall: 66L1
Fix Type: Software Update, Display Change, ECU Change, Shielding ECU

9.) Mirror - Issue 2
Like Point 8 Above

10.) Mirror - Issue 3
Like Point 8 Above

11.) Mirror - Issue 4
Like Point 8 Above

12.) Mirror - Issue 5
Like Point 8 Above

13.) Mirror - Issue 6
Like Point 8 Above

14.) MMI Favourites lost
Fix Status: Closed - A software update seems to have solved this issue on (my end), at the moment I keep an eye on it for the next 30 days.
Fix Status: Recall Open however

Fix Status: Closed - Recall: 57H3 - A software & HW update seems to have solved it, so far I can not reproduce this issue

Fix Status: Closed - As Point 15 above

Fix Status: Observation, they cleaned and check that all is correct on pad and disk, so will keep an eye on it

Fix Status: As point 17 above

Fix Status: Closed - Recall on it, I don't have the number for it, but was software update.

21.) Sudden Breaking

Thanks...

#10 ·
Experiencing many of the same issues

Peter, thank you for this thorough list. I am especially thankful because I am experiencing almost all of the same issues and now I know I'm not alone.

(There are two major exceptions to the problems I'm experiencing: Nothing related to virtual mirrors, because they're not allowed in the USA, and nothing related to very cold weather, because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.)

The most concerning for me is your item #5, namely the boot lid (tailgate on this side of the Atlantic) closing while loading the boot (trunk). This has happened multiple times to me and to others while loading my e-tron; the first time the lid actually hit me, because I didn't realize what was happening. I find it ridiculous that if I have my cellphone in the same pocket as my e-tron key my tailgate opens only about 50% of the time (almost 100% when my key is in a different pocket), but it sometimes closes on its own. It seems the sensors suffer from both false negatives when it's closed and false positives when it's open. Such a poor design!!

#11 ·
Peter, thank you for this thorough list. I am especially thankful because I am experiencing almost all of the same issues and now I know I'm not alone.

(There are two major exceptions to the problems I'm experiencing: Nothing related to virtual mirrors, because they're not allowed in the USA, and nothing related to very cold weather, because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.)

The most concerning for me is your item #5, namely the boot lid (tailgate on this side of the Atlantic) closing while loading the boot (trunk). This has happened multiple times to me and to others while loading my e-tron; the first time the lid actually hit me, because I didn't realize what was happening. I find it ridiculous that if I have my cellphone in the same pocket as my e-tron key my tailgate opens only about 50% of the time (almost 100% when my key is in a different pocket), but it sometimes closes on its own. It seems the sensors suffer from both false negatives when it's closed and false positives when it's open. Such a poor design!!
Hi,

Yes on 5 & 6 so far i know there will be a update for it. The problem is not your key or phone but the sensor on the back is to sensitive. I been hit a few times to by the boot lid but for now i stand on left or right side so the sensor does not pick up the command to close.
Reason as soon as your foot is below the sensor it opens up. I think thy will turn down the sensitivity of it (makes sense as it is to sensitive).
Send some of the warm weather over here lol....

thanks

#12 ·
Issues

Thanks for sharing these problems, most of them I am experiencing with my EditionOne too.
The main ones with my car are:

Moisture in the mirror cams

Solution: they will be replaced

Left mirror cam failures
About once a week, restarts rather quickly though
Solution: big software update next week

Dymamic assistant (adaptive cruise control) failure
Seems to be related to the left mirror issue (?)

Central locking failures (& door handles that are tough to handle)

Parking brake failure

Rear light strip failure
Solution: has been replaced

All in all quite a list, new issues every week. And by reading Peters problems: yep, I experience those too.
My wife just bought a Tesla 3, no issues so far and way much better software. Audi has quite some road
ahead of them...

#16 ·
Rear Lid Issues too, and door locks

I also have the issue with the rear lid closing on me while loading goods. It happens more than 50% of the time. I also had the rear lid open while washing with a pressure hose...potentially a water damage disaster!

On the door locks, we are often locked in the car. Trying to open the doors from the inside often fails. Most often the fail is when dropping off a passenger and not in Park. The interior door handle does not open the door even with multiple pulls. Once in this state, changing to Park does not always help. Sometime I have to turn off the ignition and start car again to be able to open the doors! Sometimes one person can get out and free the other passengers by opening their doors from the outside.

The outside door lock sensors are also too sensitive. They lock when I brush against them inside the garage and also when I am washing/drying the car with a towel. It could easily be a disaster if I leave key in the car and brush up against the door!

#21 ·
Have had to take my e-tron in 3 times for central locking malfunction error. On 3rd visit, the software update finally solved the problem. Each time the dealer in SEA has kept my car for 3-4 days. I do get a loaner but still a hassle and I'm supposed to replace the gas each time.. LOL

The only other issue I've had is an intermittent "license plate bulb failure-see owner's manual" that the dealer has not been able to fix Anyone else have/had this problem?

#25 ·
My UK e-tron was registered in April 2019 and am having following issues:
  • iPhone/Apple watch app so unreliable it is unusable: says charging when car is uplugged, says not charging when it is, says doors unlocked when they are locked, remote air con activation only works one in every several attempts, and refreshing status always takes several minutes (to serve up incorrect info). Frequently the Watch and iPhone apps disagree with each other e.g. one says charging and the other says not.
  • Have had random error/disabled messages on street sign recognition and pre-sense
  • Parking sensors respond to things that are not there
  • Issues opening the doors ... rear passenger doors not opening despite car in Park and unlock button on driver's side door pressed
  • Apple Carplay intermittently refuses to start ... press the carplay button, the screen goes blank then crashes back to the home screen ... keeps doing it no matter how many attempts ... seems to happen when there are two bluetooth phones paired

The car is brilliant to drive, and the interior quality is outstanding, but I am a bit shocked at the lack of software quality control ... seems like the software engineers at Audi are nowhere near as good as the guys designing the hardware. And I feel lucky to have not suffered from some of the many issues noted above.

#26 ·
I live in New Orleans and work in Baton Rouge (about 70 miles apart). I’m pretty heavy footed but make it back with driving around in town on one charge with ease. Looove the car. BUT:
I’ve become VERY frustrated with the “rear tailight light” and “license plate light” coming on. Have taken it to both Audi Baton Rouge and Audi NOLA and neither has fixed it. Emailed Audi about it and supposedly it’s a software issue that “will be fixed this time” when I take it back in tomorrow. Also, I’ve had to replace the washer fluid like 10 times. It genuinely is low when the light comes on. And I don’t use it. Audi says this may be a function of the automatic cruise control sensor cleaning, but this doesn’t make sense to me. And Does anyone else’s etron have a puddle of fluid leaking from the bottom of the car after use? Doesn’t seem abnormal for a car but with no gas use, where is this fluid coming from?

#27 ·
JB 2019 E-1 etron. You are describing EXACTLY the problems I was having with my etron which I purchased last December. Your dealer is mistaken. I found my washer resevoir going empty VERY quickly. Find a knowlegeable Etron technician at your dealer. In fact, there is a software upgrade to fix the washer fluid problem. Before the update, mine was dispensing (they said) about 10 times the amount of fluid that is should be dispensing. After the update, I noticed when I use the wipers now the amount of fluid coming out is significantly less. I assume that lower flow is experienced in the "sensor cleaning" as well. I did not have any fluid leak problem, though. It may be that your car is squirting cups of fluid when it cleans the sensor.

On the taillight/plate warnings, I had those start to happen, also. Have you observed the function of your tailight? I found that intermittently the light strip was doing funky things...half of it flickering sometimes, half not turning on. I was also having trouble with my backup camera randomly producing a blank video feed when I switched into Reverse. I took it into my Audi dealer here in Oregon and described the problems. I told them I was particularly concerned with the safety of the car not knowing what the tailight was doing and having my backup camera go blank at night in the rain---try looking behind you in this car!

My dealer would not allow me to drive my car away. They kept it and ordered an entire "Taillight Assembly Module", which had to be shipped from Germany. It took over three weeks (partly due to shipping delays due to COVID-19), but I finally got my car back with the new module and, what they said, was a "bunch" of software updates. I have not had any problems since. The car in general has acted a lot less buggy. (Knock on wood!) Like you, I really enjoy driving the car and the fit and finish is excellent!

#28 ·
As for liquid on the ground? Did you smell it? Is it water? If so, do you use your AC...it could be condensate from the outside of the condenser (sweating) just dripping off the outside if it is really hot and/or humid (and you are in NOLA, so I am guessing it is (at least more so than Seattle (where the rain gets in the way sometimes but it is mostly dry except when it is winter time)...

#29 ·
I am somewhat reassured to know I'm not the only owner with reservations about their etron's.

Has anyone had success with Audi taking their concerns seriously? I've owned our 2019 Prestige for 6-months and it seems like I'm at the Audi Dealership every 3-4 weeks with a problem of some kind - and can't help but feel embarrassed now about the issues and my 'complaints'.

Underlying my frustrations is that I paid $85,000 for a car that has so far undelivered on the promises!

Some additional issues I've experienced recently:

#1 - Range. I have NEVER had anywhere near the stated 204-mile range. At 100% charge, the highest range was 178-miles. Not in itself a problem, but it's 15% lower than I was expecting and it frequently is less than that too!

#2 - drive selector would not change between D - N - R. I tried multiple times and in the end had to turn the ignition off and re-start the car.

#3 - water leaking through rear window. In the rain, or whenever there is water on the rear window, water will leak through the glass and drip into the trunk/ boot space. Only happens on left side. See pic attached.

#4 - in all my other automatic cars, the car holds itself on a slope when 'D' is engaged without needing to apply the footbrake or the handbrake. My etron doesn't do that and if I don't have my foot on either the break or the accelerator, it will roll forward or backwards. It's as if a 'gear' isn't engaged and I think it's dangerous - and a problem. Anyone got any thoughts?

I would really appreciate the forum's thoughts and comments.

Attachments

#30 ·
I'm waiting for the Rivian R1T and and I can already see the problems that Rivian is in store for. Every time I think Tesla the forum cools me off. If they don't have problems they just insult each other. This also goes for I-Pace and E-Tron without the insults though. It appears there is no way of getting around it if a person wants an EV. My 911 is almost 4 years old and has been perfect and I like it too much to deal with the Taycan. Just my views as this EV's have great potential.

#32 ·
Just purchased an e-tron. Having a weird issue with the online media. Linked up fine to my amazon music account, but won't play my playlists - tells me the service is offline even though I can browse songs, search etc. and play predefined playlists. Also, when streaming music, I get alot of dropouts - audio stops, then continues within a few seconds. Checked signal strength - all fine. Anyone else experiencing this? Have mentioned it to the dealer, will see if it has to go in for any 'fixes'...

#36 ·
I've used hold assist for well over a minute on my E-Tron. As long as its enabled, just hold the brake until the green A icon appears then release. Its noted on page 94 of the owners manual. No indication of a time limit.

Although I will add its possible there could be regional differences. Mine is a US model.
And do note there are different types of brake/hold assist features. I'd double check your particular manual specifically for "hold assist" and if its not working as described, check with the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.