Charging section / thread? - Audi E-Tron EV Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Charging section / thread?

We picked up our Glacier White e-tron 2 weeks ago and so far we love it. I find it strange that there's no section in an EV focused car forum to discuss charging inclusive of tips and tricks, home solutions, hardware reviews, etc.

One silly question, is the charger we received with the car considered level 2 when plugged into 240V? I'm having a 240V NEMA 14-50a installed in the garage however I wonder if I need another charger. FYI, I'm looking at the ClipperCreek HCS-50P Plug-in 40A L2 EVSE 240V NEMA 14-50.
ETronAdmin likes this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:25 PM

Replied to your other thread, yes we use it as a level two charger.

For anyone else reading.

You'll need to long press the top button on the charger, it will then switch from 50% to 100%.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks chrisjenx!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:02 PM

I use the Clipper Creek model you are considering. Works well and has great cable management as the cable wraps around base and there is a holster for the connector. This was a prime consideration for me because I donít want grit from a cable all over my hands every time I take the car out. I didnít know at the time I got the Clipper Creek that the free EVSE has a wall bracket that can be ordered from Audi for about $65, or I may have tried that first.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Awesome response! I'll look for the bracket and give that a whirl before I shell the dough out for a 3rd party charger. THANKS!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 01:47 PM

I am curious, does the e tron have a charge port on both sides? I was wondering if it does and the one on the passengers side is for the lower kw charge cord.
audifan likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydr47 View Post
I am curious, does the e tron have a charge port on both sides? I was wondering if it does and the one on the passengers side is for the lower kw charge cord.
It sure is. Here's a line quotes right from the e-Tron brochure:

"The vehicle side of the Charging System Compact is equipped with a noninterchangeable cable 4.5 m in length and configured with a J1772 vehicle
connector. The e-tronís charge port is located on the left side just ahead of the
driverís door. For maximum flexibility, a second charge port on the passenger side
is available as an option."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:52 PM

Apparently this is a European option only.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Which kind of wall mount should I look for? The local dealership offer us a wall mount for the free Audi charging station for $300.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:02 PM

charging port(s)

while the documentation you get in the US shows the 2 charging points on either side. Every car I have seen including our own has only one on the driver's side which is a dual DC and AC J1772.

there are a few misleading and confusing items in the documentation that don't follow the actual implementation on the vehicle itself. I mentioned them in my call to Audi e-Tron support after I did my Sacramento to Seattle trip with the car...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page