Audi e-tron Forum banner

Charging section / thread?

22K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  JNealCox 
#1 ·
We picked up our Glacier White e-tron 2 weeks ago and so far we love it. I find it strange that there's no section in an EV focused car forum to discuss charging inclusive of tips and tricks, home solutions, hardware reviews, etc.

One silly question, is the charger we received with the car considered level 2 when plugged into 240V? I'm having a 240V NEMA 14-50a installed in the garage however I wonder if I need another charger. FYI, I'm looking at the ClipperCreek HCS-50P Plug-in 40A L2 EVSE 240V NEMA 14-50.

#19 ·
Hey chrisjenx thanks for the tip about needing the long press to get from 50% to 100% when using the compact charger.

Why would it default to 50%? Wouldn't everyone want to charge at full power?

Is there any problem with charging at 100%?

I asked Audi Downtown Toronto dealership and they didn't know what I was talking about.
Thanks

#4 ·
I use the Clipper Creek model you are considering. Works well and has great cable management as the cable wraps around base and there is a holster for the connector. This was a prime consideration for me because I don’t want grit from a cable all over my hands every time I take the car out. I didn’t know at the time I got the Clipper Creek that the free EVSE has a wall bracket that can be ordered from Audi for about $65, or I may have tried that first.

#7 ·
It sure is. Here's a line quotes right from the e-Tron brochure:

"The vehicle side of the Charging System Compact is equipped with a noninterchangeable cable 4.5 m in length and configured with a J1772 vehicle
connector. The e-tron’s charge port is located on the left side just ahead of the
driver’s door. For maximum flexibility, a second charge port on the passenger side
is available as an option."

#15 ·
This is the wall mount I purchased online for $200, my Audi dealer wanted $300 for the same part. My electrician will install it for me during my NEMA 14-50 outlet install :

ORDER #REV-3846

The following items have shipped via USPS.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
8V4-915-706-D Charger Wall Bracket $207.00 1 $207.00

Subtotal: $207.00
Estimated Standard Shipping: $18.66
Total: $225.66

It may take up to 24 hours for the shipping information to be available on the tracking page.

Thank you again for your order.

AUDI PARTS STORE
800-300-4050 | sales@audipartsstore.com
Click here to view our site

#10 ·
charging port(s)

while the documentation you get in the US shows the 2 charging points on either side. Every car I have seen including our own has only one on the driver's side which is a dual DC and AC J1772.

there are a few misleading and confusing items in the documentation that don't follow the actual implementation on the vehicle itself. I mentioned them in my call to Audi e-Tron support after I did my Sacramento to Seattle trip with the car...

#11 ·
Adapter for Audi to use Superchargers?

I have heard that an adapter is available for connecting our Audi eTron to a Tesla Supercharger. Supposedly available through Amazon. There are multiple adapters available there, but I'm unsure which one would fit the EVSE charger that comes with the car. The high number of Tesla Superchargers available make their use very attractive if an adapter could be used. Anybody know about this?

#13 ·
Sorry for the late response, but for the good of those looking for this info...I was directed to no less than 3 different revs of part for wall mount bracket. However, I found that the cheap option does the trick (I just put a $2 J hook on the wall to keep the cable tidy). The bracket fits perfectly and just needs some beefy #14 screws with washers (due to the hole size, not the load) to mount it to a wall.Audi Parts Store has this part for $65 and free economy USPS shipping from Nor Cal. https://www.audipartsstore.com

The following items have shipped via USPS. Your tracking number(s): xxx

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total
8V4-915-899 E-tron Charger Wall Bracket $65.15 1 $65.15

Subtotal: $65.15
Estimated Economy Shipping: Free
Total: $65.15

#14 ·
Charging Quick Release

Hi: I just wanted to post some helpful information. I had a situation where I used a rapid charger on a longer trip, and the charger would not release from the charging port after multiple tries and turning the car on and off. It was not a charger on the Audi system although the e-tron is supposed to operate with all rapid charger systems. After looking for help in the owner's manual, I did not find the section (until the next day) on p. 111 where it asks you to open the hood and pull a yellow loop to release and then take your car to the dealership. On calling for assistance that evening, the Audi assistance said that the only recourse was to leave the car at the station (at a Chevrolet dealership at 10:00 pm 120 miles from home) and go to the local Audi dealership the next day.

What I did instead was much easier. If you press unlock on your keyfob and press on the charge port release button at the same time, it releases the charger. I found this capability on a site regarding electric Volkswagons and desperation, tried it on my e-tron, and it worked like a charm!

I charged my car on a Level 2 charger after arriving at my destination and had no problem with releasing the connector per usual. I thought this would be helpful information to have if anyone else is caught in the same situation and is trying to surf the net looking for a solution. I don't know why this is not featured in the owner's manual.

#16 ·
Hi: I just wanted to post some helpful information. I had a situation where I used a rapid charger on a longer trip, and the charger would not release from the charging port after multiple tries and turning the car on and off. It was not a charger on the Audi system although the e-tron is supposed to operate with all rapid charger systems. After looking for help in the owner's manual, I did not find the section (until the next day) on p. 111 where it asks you to open the hood and pull a yellow loop to release and then take your car to the dealership. On calling for assistance that evening, the Audi assistance said that the only recourse was to leave the car at the station (at a Chevrolet dealership at 10:00 pm 120 miles from home) and go to the local Audi dealership the next day.

What I did instead was much easier. If you press unlock on your keyfob and press on the charge port release button at the same time, it releases the charger. I found this capability on a site regarding electric Volkswagons and desperation, tried it on my e-tron, and it worked like a charm!

I charged my car on a Level 2 charger after arriving at my destination and had no problem with releasing the connector per usual. I thought this would be helpful information to have if anyone else is caught in the same situation and is trying to surf the net looking for a solution. I don't know why this is not featured in the owner's manual.
Trial and error is an unfortunate part about new vehicle ownership which is why boards like this are great.

Eventually we might need an "owners tips and tricks" topic or something to that effect

#18 ·
Here is that letter "ex-expats" was referring to...I called the number below and they said they have 4 etron experts in America who can help you with anything you need regarding the vehicle. Just wish Audi had one "genius" at each dealership where I can take the car for any issues.

May 1,2019
Audi e-tron High Power Charging
Dear Audi Customer,
The 2019 Audi e-tron is capable of charging speeds of up to 150 kW at many public DC fast charging sites. Achieving such charging speeds requires both power transfer and communication between the vehicle and the charging station.
In a limited number of circumstances occurring only with DC fast charging, there may be a lapse in communication between the vehicle and the charger that causes the charger handle to remain locked in the vehicle after charging is complete.
Should this issue occur while charging your Audi e-tron, the following steps may be taken to release the charger handle:
1. Ensure that the charging station has stopped charging and that» the vehicle is unlocked, then press the handle release button on the vehicle (the same button that is used to open the vehicle’s charge port door). See page 108 of the Audi e-tron Owner’s Manual.
2. Wait 5 minutes after charging completes to determine if the vehicle clears the fault and automatically releases the charger handle.
3. Verify that the vehicle’s auxiliary climate control is turned off. See page 84 of the Audi e-tron Owner’s Manual.
Should these steps not release the charger handle, the Audi Customer Experience Center is available at 1-844-573-8766 to provide assistance. After evaluation, the Audi Customer Experience Center may recommend
releasing the charger handle by manually pulling the release tab that is located under the vehicle’s hood (page 1 11 of the Audi e-tron Owner's Manual).
Audi is currently resolving this charging issue and a software update will be available by the end of 2019 to correct the issue in all Audi e-trons. Affected customers will be notified when the updated software is available.
We expect the occurrence of this issue to be isolated, but we apologize in advance for any inconvenience that you may experience. Should you require assistance with this—or any—charging issue, our skilled customer support team is available to help.

#21 ·
The harder (read: higher amperage) you drive into the battery the more it will decay in terms of capacity. So just like a ICE car battery trickle charger, less is more in terms of pack longevity. Unless you are really fooling around we find we can get by using 50% almost all the time unless we only have a short time between needing to top up.

We’ve also readjusted to just letting it deplete somewhat and not charging fully (or even 80%) every night.

#24 ·
Howdy!

The range indicated is based largely on recent driving. If you are seeing that straight from the dealer it'll be low because the only driving the car has done has been in/out of cargo containers and test drives; less than ideal for range, haha.

As far as the 80% charge recommendation from Audi, the following article explains why that would be beneficial for the car:
https://www.geotab.com/blog/ev-battery-health/
According to several sources the e-tron has amazing liquid cooling and battery management, but the further you stay from the extreme ends of SoC, the better for the battery life.

#27 ·
Hi all, Fast charged for the first time today at an Electrify America charger. I was at about 35%. The first charger I plugged into started around 50kW and slowly ramped up to about 120kW, All the time the cable was getting warmer and warmer. It then started rolling back the charge rate until it was back down to about 60kW. By that time I was at almost 70%. I stopped that charge and plugged in the cable on the other side of the machine that was cold. It started at 135kW and ramped up to 146kW until I hit 80% and then, as expected, started reducing the rate. The cable never got anywhere close to as warm as the first. I'm guessing either the first charger has a problem or there was a bad connection between the plug and my Etron. Anyone else experience different rates from different chargers of the same size?

Greg

#28 ·
Why do e-tron owners need to buy a separate charger when the car comes with the e-tron charging system? I just need to do L2 level charging at home. I had our electrician come into my garage and ask that question when he said the Audi provided plug I have would fit right into the 50amp outlet he would install. So why do people buy the Juice Box or the Charge Point systems? Thanks for any info.

#29 ·
I use the Audi-supplied charger and it works perfectly well. I always figure if I need to take a long trip, I'll just unplug it and throw it in the Frunk. Otherwise, a perfectly good charger is just sitting around collecting dust. I admit, I am not using all of the Advanced timer features, but what I do use has worked fine. I mainly either start charging right away, or use the MyAudi app to set up a timer that will have the car charged and preconditioned to go at my departure time. I have my car and charger in a garage. If I were to have to set it up for outside use, I would probably go with buying a charger that I can hardwire for external use. Some commercial plug-in chargers can go up to 48A , instead of being limited to 40A like the Audi charger, but the slight improvement in charging speed is pretty small.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.