Audi e-tron Forum banner

Charging Timer not reliable?

22K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  Chasing Cars 
#1 ·
I've had my Galaxy Blue e-tron for a couple of weeks now. It took me a moment to understand how the charging timer worked, but one I realized I have to click the button on the MMI charging timer dialog when I turn off the car it seemed to work fine, giving me a full charge when I woke up to go to work. I was able to repeat this consistently for about a week.

The last couple days however, I have set the timer, plugged in the vehicle, confirmed the quick flashing green light on the charge port that indicates waiting on timer, confirmed that the App also shows the car waiting on charging timer, only to wake up and find the car not charged. Night one it was still waiting (green light quick flashing) in the morning, and this morning the charging port light was just dark.

Can anyone help me figure out why I can't rely on the charging timer?

(FYI, I have not made any use of Advanced Charging Settings yet, I don't want to add another variable to the mix until I have the Timer sorted out and reliable.

#3 ·
When we first received our car we hadn’t completed a refit of our garage electric. We used the 110v lead to charge the car without issue. We did not attempt to use the timer function since the charge rate is so incredibly low (1.2kWH) one usually wants as much juice as possible. (If the OP is in the UK or Europe where rates vary with Time of Day then I fully understand your need).

That said, it did work without a problem when no timer was specified (I.e, immediate charging).

#4 ·
Having similar problem. I have time of day set for HOME to 2005 hours to 1255 hours, the cheapest time for charging. Also set timer to charge by 0700 hours each day. However, when I plug in the charger, it ignores the time day setting and begins immediately charging even outside the HOME hours setting. Timer is on. Anyone else having same issue?

#5 ·
Yep mine does the same - whatever the setting in the car it just starts charging straight away when you plug it in .. if you go to the app and go to the charging section you can switch to timer mode .. this then seems to work correctly .. but a bit of a pain to have to do this every time!

#6 ·
You must enable the timer each time you want to use it. The enable step is immediately on turning off the car, a button is presented that you have to click, it hi-lights in red. If you miss the button presentation (it goes away in 15-30 seconds) then you have to use your phone to initialize timer, or cycle the power on the car.

That said, even having done this I had my issue of awaking to an uncharged car. I reset the time of departure to 6:01AM (from 6:00AM) and it has seemed to work better.

#9 ·
I had the same problem and got help from Audi Care. I set the advanced charger settings and set it for my home address. I set the advance charger for a time greater than what I had on the timer. The reason as I understood it was due to the fact that the charger might need more time to charge.

So, my timer is set to charge by 5:00 am. The advanced timer is set to charge between 12-5 am. When I get home I go to The touchscreen. Pres the charging and efficiency button and then press the top of the charging screed (it has a clock with a number 1 in it).

I take my wall charger and wait until it turns green and then select 100% and the plug it into the car. It has worked faithfully every time.

I hope that helps.

#10 · (Edited)
Noticed the following interaction with the advanced timer and a scheduled departure timer. I have an advanced timer set for my work location between 6:00am and 4:00pm. I also have a departure timer set for 2:30pm Monday-Friday. I have experienced instances where the charge would start an appropriate time before departure but stop 10-30 minutes after charging. I have noticed for some odd reason that when I shut the car off and the MMI displays the timer it says 2:30am not 2:30pm. I re checked the actual timer settings and it says 2:30pm and the My Audi app says 2:30pm but the MMI choice when shutting off the vehicle says 2:30am????????? I have deleted the Advanced Location Timer and will see what happens.

Update: Advanced timer was not affecting the scheduled timer for work. This particular timer is in the 3rd position. If you re enter the time and back out to the shutdown screen the time is corrected. I will try putting that schedule in a different position next.

#12 ·
I was. After you have plugged in the car, check the charger box and make sure the 100% light is on. If it is not press and hold the power button for at least five seconds, so that the light goes to 100% (the Power button has two functions: On/Off--quick press; and, presented voltage 50%/100%--long press). If the charger is set at 50%, the car thinks the voltage is too low to activate charging.

#15 ·
Yes, it is on but I have issues when above the threshold. Yesterday couldn't get the charging to stop outside of the HOME times using both the in-car and app modes.

#19 ·
Hi all,

Have a query if anyone has time to reply with an idiot proof procedure to get car to charge 2am to 4am. What to press? What not to press? The little red line under the clock. Do I use the app or not. Somedays will need more than 2 hrs charging.

Note app hopeless where I live. Kinda works stortly after car used, generally doesnt.
In winter will need preheating for 730 departure.

Thanks
ML

#20 ·
Hi all,

Have a query if anyone has time to reply with an idiot proof procedure to get car to charge 2am to 4am. What to press? What not to press? The little red line under the clock. Do I use the app or not. Somedays will need more than 2 hrs charging.

Note app hopeless where I live. Kinda works stortly after car used, generally doesnt.
In winter will need preheating for 730 departure.

Thanks
ML
1. Set alarm clock for 1.55am.
2. When alarm sounds, kick other half out of bed to go plug car in.

Reactions: Chasing Cars
#22 ·
Apologies - was meant to also reply with a serious response but got stuck on a work call.

The Audi timer both in the car and in the App appear to only allow you to set an 'end time' for the charging - ie what time you want the car ready for and it will then work out when to start the charging so that it is completed by the time you have set it for.

If you are on a reduced rate for certain times then this could be an issue, so most people I have seen use the app / timer for the particular charger they gave - ie podpoint - or within an app of their electricity supplier.

I always use the timer in the app - however I am not on any particular timed rates for electricity so it doesnt matter to me when the car is charged for.

I click the Charge Scheduling icon in the app.
Scroll down to Timer.
Select one of the times.
Set departure time to my leaving time the next morning - 7.30am
turn on the electronic climate control switch then click the x to close out.
I then make sure the switch next to the time I have just set is turned on.
I click send and it sends it to the car.

#24 ·
That is not the way to do it.

Set the departure time for whenever you want to depart along with your desired state of charge, press charge - job done!. The car will then automatically take charge during the period you have set up in 'Advanced' for your preferred low rate period (you only have to do it once), in your case 2am to 4am.

If the car calculates that it is unable to reach your desired charge using only power from the 2am to 4am periods it has available then it will also add charge outside that period.

It works really well and is clever enough to use multiple low-rate periods during a single charge if they are available.

#27 ·
You can now set the timer to repeat daily, or select various days

#32 ·
Like most people, I don’t think the software is very good either. It’s clunky and has wierd side effects. I certainly hope it works the way @Chasing Cars suggests.

On my Taycan I can setup either a regular or one off charging departure timer that will do climate and desired level quite easily.

to be clear, I’m only talking about departure timers, not the best time of day to charge. The Porsche software is overly complicated IMHO too, but not at the level of weirdness that Audi is.

I managed to setup a successful charge timer last night for the first time. I wanted 100% by 10am for my wife to go visit her mother. It did that, but only by changing the overall level to 100%. Which is not what I want, because if we forget to put it back to 80% it’ll do that all the time.
Note they I do NOT have ‘advanced charging’ setup, because it’s not location specific. It’s journey specific. So typically 80% charge at home is ok except when I want a one off 100% charge.

For that to work, it seems I need to;
1- set a timer profile - no setting for % just departure time
2 - activate that profile
3 - press the clock thing top left so the red line appears underneath to activate profiles
4 - change the default % for the car I want the next time it charges

note also, that (4) is weird. If I had an advanced profile, with a %, and it’s active, it’s linked to the master. So if I change the master it changes the profile!! Wtf? So I didn’t use that. Adds too much opportunity to screw things Up.

Even weirder, I have a smart Anderson A2 charger. I have this is “dumb” mode. No smart features, because again that’s inviting failure. But look what it recorded overnight.

The Audis departure timer chargewas dropping on and off all night. It shuts off, waits about 5 mins and charges again. What the **** is going on?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.