Audi e-tron Forum banner

What kind of range have you been getting?

30K views 48 replies 28 participants last post by  Philp 
#1 ·
I would love to hear from eTron owners about what they have experienced for the best and the worst mileage ranges on a full charge.

I seem to consistently get about 200 miles on a full charge.

There is an interesting article in the link below about a theory as to why the eTron, with a 95kwh battery has a lower range than a Tesla with a 75kwh battery or the IPace with a 90 kwh battery.

https://qz.com/1593635/audi-e-trons-low-range-might-be-down-to-inefficient-battery-use/

(I apologize for not being able to insert the actual link and making people have to copy and paste this link)

#4 ·
regenerative braking added about 50 miles to my range

I had an interesting drive. I had 156 miles showing as my range and had a trip of 150 miles to go from Big Bear (Elevation 6800') to my house. When I got to the bottom of the mountain, my range had only dropped from 156 miles to 153 miles. So I covered 40 miles of downhill and only used up 3 miles of my range because the regenerative braking added approx 37 miles to my range.

I ended up doing a trip of 150 miles and when I arrived home I still had a range of 50 miles showing. So using regenerative braking as much as possible going downhill and then putting the car in economy mode used only 100 miles of range on a trip that was actually 150 miles.

#5 ·
on a straight road trip Sacramento-> Seattle via I-5, I started out with about 239 miles @ 100%.

However after climbing into Redding and the remainder of the trip (done over 1.5 days) I maxed out at about 204-213. Here in Seattle where we have lots of steep hills, 100% = ~ 204 miles. Regen is way better than our prior X5 PHEV, but the hills still take a lot out of the range...

Hoping but not counting on Audi getting some mileage out of battery management updates (ala Tesla roadster v1 update that helped up the range on that original car) .... I won't be staying awake waiting tho...

#8 · (Edited)
E-tron changing range after charge

I have owned my E-tron for around 5 weeks now in France where I live and have made several long trips (1,000 Km) what I'm finding is that charging at home to 100% will give me an average range of 349 km (although once it actually went to 380km). On my recent long trip from the Uk back to France using the Ionity superchargers 100% charge was only providing 290km so not enough to get to the next super charger meaning that we had to do an unscheduled stop at another charger just for a top up to get to the next super charger. Maybe the range is reducing because the batteries are hot. I'm sure I read in the manual is says that ideally you should wait 1 hour to allow the batteries to cool down after a 100% charge but can't seem to find this again to quote. So any ideas why my charge rate is so direct when on a long journey?

#35 ·
E-tron changing range after charge

I have owned my E-tron for around 5 weeks now in France where I live and have made several long trips (1,000 Km) what I'm finding is that charging at home to 100% will give me an average range of 349 km (although once it actually went to 380km). On my recent long trip from the Uk back to France using the Ionity superchargers 100% charge was only providing 290km so not enough to get to the next super charger meaning that we had to do an unscheduled stop at another charger just for a top up to get to the next super charger. Maybe the range is reducing because the batteries are hot. I'm sure I read in the manual is says that ideally you should wait 1 hour to allow the batteries to cool down after a 100% charge but can't seem to find this again to quote. So any ideas why my charge rate is so direct when on a long journey?
I noticed that when charging from L3 chargers, after that somehow the range drops quicker after that then if you charged at L2 charger

#11 ·
When we first received the eTron, each morning after fully charging, the range would show as 220 miles. A few weeks later, the range showed as 213 miles. Then the next month it showed as 208 miles. Now a full charge shows a range of 199 miles. Our car is not yet 3 months old. I am hoping that our range does not continue to deteriorate. Has anyone else experienced a decrease in range?

#23 ·
This has happened to me too...I took it back to the dealership and had a full check up on it and they found nothing wrong with it. They reset the entire system because they said it could be that it is due to the way I drive. I explained that it couldn't because when I first got the car I would charge it at home and it would stop charging at 210 Miles range...then it went to 206, then 198, then 1680and now it's at 158. Something is not right and they can't figure it out. I'm almost ready to get my money back on this car.

#13 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, and a recent owner of E-Tron (2 months in). I would like to share what I am seeing in terms of mileage driving this car past two months.
I am seeing a consistent mileage around 260 miles on 100% charge. I usually do not charge more than 70% based on my driving needs. I have also attached a screenshot of Electric Range shown on myAudi App.

Attachments

#15 ·
I managed to get it to 237 miles using the 120V whip on the Audi capsule that comes with the car and leaving it charge for about 5-6 days while I was in Europe. But with the 240VAC whip, 207 is the most I get at 100% charge.

Certainly would be way better to be getting the range that @smsetty is pulling off. Maybe there's hope for some reasonable range improvements after all (?).

BTW, here is Seattle we get about 2.2miles/kWh in terms of efficiency...

#18 ·
I have charged my e-tron 100% for the first time last weekend and I see 268 miles as a range, I have attached screenshot. And BTW, I am charging on 240V charger called Juice Box purchased from Costco (https://www.costco.com/.product.100397573.html) the reason I use this cause I found the Audi charger gets so hot especially during hot summer here in Dallas,TX so I only tried once and never used the Audi charger again.

Attachments

#19 ·
Yes, I am seeing the same thing after owning since June. I recently did a long road trip from Corvallis Oregon to Redding CA and I noticed that the range really drops off when driving 75+mph. I think the range calculation is changing due to my driving habits, but it would be nice to find out that there is a battery charging test that can be done.

#22 ·
I charged to 90% and the range shows only 166 miles available. After some quick math it seems this is based on the fact that the battery is throttled to 83.6kW and my long term average kWh/100 miles:

83.6kW x 0.9 / 44.7 kWh per hundred miles x 100 = 168 while is very close to displayed range.

I am guessing that range difference we are seeing are due to changes in Long Term memory mileage history.

#24 ·
The range it estimates is based on the distances it records, vehicle settings, A/C usage, etc. Any car feature that uses electricity can cut into your estimated mileage. Have you made any changes in that regard as the months have progressed? I live in western Oregon where I find I'll be switching seat heaters, A/C, etc on and off at various points in the day. When I do that the calculated mileage (one youtube reviewer refers to this as the "guess-o-meter" mileage or GOM mileage. I think that fits!) will jump around a few miles. Probably the biggest factor for me affecting mileage is driving from a "cold start" as opposed to a "preconditioned start". Cold start will bleed the miles and that affects the GOM calculation. When I first got the car (I charge to 80%, pretty much exclusively at home with the 240V Audi charger) my GOM would show close to 180 mi. Now it will bounce around from the upper 160's to lower 170's.

#25 ·
With our new car home for its first charge at L1, we set it to 80% limit. After charging was complete, the range shows 180 mi. Would this indicate (doing the math) that a full 100% charge would give us a range of 228 miles? We plan on recharging before going below 20% and limiting the charge to 80% - unless we plan on a long trip. I would love to "train" our battery to a long life, and capable of long range when needed. We hope to get a ChargePoint Home Flex installed when local electricians have time. The posts on this forum are extremely helpful to us new owners.

#28 ·
Yep, the math checks out. And sounds like you are getting a pretty good EV efficiency rating (right now), probably about 2.6kW/mile (86kWh usable battery capacity x 2.6kW = 228 mile range). Although the "training" is just you teaching the computer that you drive more efficiently and therefore it shows you have a longer "estimated" range. The actual range happens in real-time, depending on consumption, as related to the usual driving factors. The battery capacity doesn't change (unless there is a defect).

So for example, if you are taking a trip and driving at 80mph+, your efficiency would likely decrease, as will the projected range. In other words, not all that different from a gas vehicle. Worse fuel economy = less range. In an EV, less efficiency = less range.

What does help the battery health is staying within 20-80% charge and avoiding fast DC charging unless you need the range for a long drive.

#32 · (Edited)
Sales folks at the dealer were likewise speculating that Audi might perhaps use firmware to update the 2019 e-trons. But like Joe, we are in this for the long-term haul. Nicest car we'vee ver owned or ever plan to own! (Our other cars are a pick-up truck and my husband's (he's the original owner) shiny little red 1960 VW bug.) We hope to follow Omegafiler's guidelines for a long life for this beauty. And as to infrequent L3 charging, that is highly likely as there is no such charging station in our county - just a ferry ride from Seattle!

#33 ·
With my last two cars, both Audi's, I owned one for 10 and the other for 13 years. In looking at EV's, even the etron, I developed the impression that this tech still has a way to go, but very close to some significant improvements. So, I decided to lease for the first time in my life, with the notion that I would upgrade to another EV when the lease expires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.