Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m in the UK and got an Etron 50 in July 2020. I’ve regularly used the (flawed) timer feature to charge the car over night on a cheaper tariff. A few weeks back it has started to throw low battery errors (not main drive battery, the traditional 12v battery that runs the car’s generic Audi systems). After a few days the car was dead, despite having an 80pc charge in the main batteries. It’s been back to Audi who can’t find a fault. I have a 7kw Pod-Point charger and have managed to replicate the error.

So, say I connect the car to the charger at 5pm with the timer activated to charge not before 12.30am, it will immediately start discharging the 12v car battery. Even when the car starts charging, it will not charge the 12v battery.

I am going to speak to Pod-Point today but can’t see anybody else reporting this issue. Probably not many UK etron drivers, with a Pod Point using the timer feature but I wanted to get this on record in case anyone else has similar issues.

Does anybody know how the 12v battery is charged? Obvisously, not via an alternator so either via the wall charger or via the main battery whilst driving I presume.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I’m in the UK and got an Etron 50 in July 2020. I’ve regularly used the (flawed) timer feature to charge the car over night on a cheaper tariff. A few weeks back it has started to throw low battery errors (not main drive battery, the traditional 12v battery that runs the car’s generic Audi systems). After a few days the car was dead, despite having an 80pc charge in the main batteries. It’s been back to Audi who can’t find a fault. I have a 7kw Pod-Point charger and have managed to replicate the error.

So, say I connect the car to the charger at 5pm with the timer activated to charge not before 12.30am, it will immediately start discharging the 12v car battery. Even when the car starts charging, it will not charge the 12v battery.

I am going to speak to Pod-Point today but can’t see anybody else reporting this issue. Probably not many UK etron drivers, with a Pod Point using the timer feature but I wanted to get this on record in case anyone else has similar issues.

Does anybody know how the 12v battery is charged? Obvisously, not via an alternator so either via the wall charger or via the main battery whilst driving I presume.
Hi

I’m having the same issue. Left back to Audi and they replaced the12v battery but same issue a few days later.
Did you get anywhere with it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul. Not really other than a chat with Pod Point technical who were very helpful and looked at the log files on the charger on the dates it happened. They said it isn't the charger but have informed Audi of the issue but whether this goes any further remains to be seen. What I am doing now is still plugging the car in and using the timer but I'm leaving it until about 10pm so the 12v battery has less time to discharge. I usally drive it at 8am so the 12v battery probably gets replenished then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Paul. Not really other than a chat with Pod Point technical who were very helpful and looked at the log files on the charger on the dates it happened. They said it isn't the charger but have informed Audi of the issue but whether this goes any further remains to be seen. What I am doing now is still plugging the car in and using the timer but I'm leaving it until about 10pm so the 12v battery has less time to discharge. I usally drive it at 8am so the 12v battery probably gets replenished then.
Thanks for the reply. Very similar to me. Good to know it’s not the charger because that’s the first thing Audi said. I’ve had the car a week and had recovery out 3 times now. Due to leave it back into them next week for them to look at it. I’ll update if I get anywhere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. Very similar to me. Good to know it’s not the charger because that’s the first thing Audi said. I’ve had the car a week and had recovery out 3 times now. Due to leave it back into them next week for them to look at it. I’ll update if I get anywhere.
Thanks, dealer had mine for 2 weeks but at that point I hadn’t made the connection between it discharging on a timer charge so they were just driving it and charging it normally and didn’t recreate the issue. They also blamed it on the charger and advised to get the podpoint software updated which i did. Apparently, all Audi garages are fitted with PodPoints. This is an issue that needs to go up to someone technical in Germany i think.

·
Registered
38 Posts

The dealer might want to look at A19 which is the voltage converter which take the 396v from the main battery and provides charging to the 12v battery without which the car will not operate as it is controlled by modules fed by 12v.
There is a fuse for the A19 in the module that controls the high voltage (SX6 Switching unit). Therefore they might want to check the connection, although I am not sure if they can open up the SX6 or whether it is a replacement (396v). Did you say that the 12v battery does recharge when the ignition is on?(driving). If so it wouldn't be the fuse. If it does but doesn't charging whilst charging, SX6 is still not giving the small current 396v whilst stationary which it is designed to do. I would get the 'experts' (still not many unfortunately) to look at SX6 with ignition off and on and check the voltage across the 12v battery for charging current.

There are others with a similar issue that was 'solved' by setting the timer for charging but not for preconditioning. Might be worth a try and if it works see if Audi has a software update for the issue.

Reactions: Jonibegood

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
138 Posts
As @Bard72 explained above the 12V battery should never be allowed to fully discharge even if the car is not driven. In further support of the above:

Voltage Converter A19

A19 is installed at the front right of the vehicle and is cooled in the coolant circuit.
It converts the DC voltage (396 Volt) of High-Voltage Battery 1 AX2 into the 12 Volt DC voltage of the vehicle’s electrical system. This is achieved using induction coils (electrical isolation). As a result, there is no conducting connection between the high-voltage system and the 12 Volt electrical system.

Voltage Converter A19 is connected to the high-voltage battery via a fuse in High-Voltage Battery Control Module SX6.

It has a power of up to 3 kW. If the vehicle is stationary for a longer period and the high-voltage battery is sufficiently charged, the high-voltage battery will charge the 12 Volt battery.

Note:

This charging procedure starts automatically. When it is running, the high-voltage system is active and the high-voltage components are energized.

Voltage Converter A19 is connected to the body via a live potential equalization line.
The intermediate circuit capacitor is discharged actively and passively.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The dealer might want to look at A19 which is the voltage converter which take the 396v from the main battery and provides charging to the 12v battery without which the car will not operate as it is controlled by modules fed by 12v.
There is a fuse for the A19 in the module that controls the high voltage (SX6 Switching unit). Therefore they might want to check the connection, although I am not sure if they can open up the SX6 or whether it is a replacement (396v). Did you say that the 12v battery does recharge when the ignition is on?(driving). If so it wouldn't be the fuse. If it does but doesn't charging whilst charging, SX6 is still not giving the small current 396v whilst stationary which it is designed to do. I would get the 'experts' (still not many unfortunately) to look at SX6 with ignition off and on and check the voltage across the 12v battery for charging current.

There are others with a similar issue that was 'solved' by setting the timer for charging but not for preconditioning. Might be worth a try and if it works see if Audi has a software update for the issue.
Hi Bard
Thanks for your input.
I'm not sure if the car needs to be driven or just have ignition on for the 12v battery to charge. My software was updated in October but I wasn't using preconditioning, only the charge timer. Personally, I think it's a software issue in the car. The whole logic around the car timer charging needs to be improved imo but if PodPoint roll out the long awaiting timer function in the charger I would use that instead of the car timer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only other thing to say is that my car is fitted with a MetaTrak Vehicle tracker and its the tracker that sends me the low battery warning. However, i was charging the car every night with the car timer for 2 1/2 months and had done 3,000 miles in it before I started having the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone with a resolution? I am having exactly the same problem. Car has died completely twice whilst on a timed charger. Audi don’t have a clue and just say it’s a software fault...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don’t think so yet. My cars software was updated and it still does it. Although, i seem to get away with it if i put it on timer at 10pm so giving it less time to discharge. I wonder if there is a way to approach Audi direct collectively. The dealers dont seem that bothered.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
138 Posts
If you purchased a car under a VWFS finance agreement then you have a very legitimate cause for complaint if the car is not functioning correctly. Once you make a complaint they will contact the dealer directly to arrange a resolution or escalation to Audi UK, otherwise you can contact the ombudsman if you feel that they have not dealt with the problem to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s sound advice thank you. Shame it comes to this.

I’ve had a two Nissans Leafs before this car and neither had any problems. Literally nothing. Audi have a lot to learn about quality, software and electrical engineering. This is a solved problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got myself a similar problem, 30% charge Sunday 5pm left it on pod point charger for 1230 start time until 0430, with poor weather today, worked at home, pod point and car were clicking and seemingly recycling to start and end a charge.left charger connected. 1030pm car alarm goes off, port indicator red, rear led on and flickering, cable won't release, doors won't unlock, just dead🤬

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got myself a similar problem, 30% charge Sunday 5pm left it on pod point charger for 1230 start time until 0430, with poor weather today, worked at home, pod point and car were clicking and seemingly recycling to start and end a charge.left charger connected. 1030pm car alarm goes off, port indicator red, rear led on and flickering, cable won't release, doors won't unlock, just dead🤬
We've obviously all got the same issue. I generally plug mine in no earlier than 9pm for a 12.30am start time and haven't had issues. I also unplug it every morning whether I'm using it or not. There doesn't seem to be any interest from Audi to fix this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems pod point is always pushing a charge to the car, but the car is using 12v to keep rejecting the incoming supply. Surely an easy circuit and programming fix for audi. Hey Jo, all sorted now, I'll just not use the timer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems pod point is always pushing a charge to the car, but the car is using 12v to keep rejecting the incoming supply. Surely an easy circuit and programming fix for audi. Hey Jo, all sorted now, I'll just not use the timer
I did have some discussion with a tech guy at Pod Point. He looked at my charger logs on the dates it happened and said it wasn't down to the charger. He said they'd invited Audi to work with them on the problem but assume that didn't go anywhere. I imagine it is just a software patch required.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, this happened to me yesterday. Woke up, car was dead. 80% charge in the main battery, but the 12V battery was only pushing 5V, so the main computer couldn't even wake up to unlock the car. Had to "jump" it with an external 12V power source. Funny thing was that this is the first time it has happened to me and it was in front of this guy's house: Car died over night…. Apparently Taycans have the exact same crappy problem. Yay software. Apparently Teslas also suffer from this sometimes as well. The e-tron is apparently the easiest to recover because popping the hood is mechanical. I now have one of these in my frunk: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-Ul...l+12v+car+battery+pack&qid=1616514189&sr=8-19. It seems that you only need to supply external 12V power long enough to boot the main computer and turn on the car, which immediately discovers that its own 12V battery is depleted and starts charging it from the main battery. I really do NOT want to get good at fixing this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, this happened to me yesterday. Woke up, car was dead. 80% charge in the main battery, but the 12V battery was only pushing 5V, so the main computer couldn't even wake up to unlock the car. Had to "jump" it with an external 12V power source. Funny thing was that this is the first time it has happened to me and it was in front of this guy's house: Car died over night…. Apparently Taycans have the exact same crappy problem. Yay software. Apparently Teslas also suffer from this sometimes as well. The e-tron is apparently the easiest to recover because popping the hood is mechanical. I now have one of these in my frunk: https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-Ul...l+12v+car+battery+pack&qid=1616514189&sr=8-19. It seems that you only need to supply external 12V power long enough to boot the main computer and turn on the car, which immediately discovers that its own 12V battery is depleted and starts charging it from the main battery. I really do NOT want to get good at fixing this problem.

Can you explain the location of the 12 Volt battery terminals to hook up the battery jumper cables you bought from amazon? I have had the same problem with a dead car.
Other than that the car has been a dream for the past 4,000 miles
thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can you explain the location of the 12 Volt battery terminals to hook up the battery jumper cables you bought from amazon? I have had the same problem with a dead car.
Other than that the car has been a dream for the past 4,000 miles
thanks
Yeah, you pop the hood and it's on the left side towards the passenger compartment. There's a little black compartment that you can open and it'll contain the positive (+) terminal. The negative (-) terminal is just outside and down to the right of that compartment. They're silver colored and hard to miss with the big +/- symbols stamped into the top of each.

I don't have my car right now, otherwise, I'd post a picture. I'll do so when I get it back.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts