Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took delivery of a 2021 Prestige model. Got home, did pretty well on my way home (2.5 per mile used). Plugged into my L2 charger at home, and once charging was completed at 100%, both the app and the vehicle on the dashboard are giving me 199 mile range. I thought this car has a range of 221miles for 2021?

What gives? Why is this so low? Do I need to take this to service to get it fixed?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Congratulations on your E tron! First, is your charge maximum in the MMI set to 100%? The default setting is the 80% that Audi recommends. Audi recommends charging to 100% only for when you really need it--eg, long trips--to protect the health of the battery. Secondly, the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) that gives you the estimated miles is not just based on the capacity of the battery, unlike the Tesla GOM. It works to factor in driving style, cabin conditions, temperature, etc to give you an estimate of what mileage YOU will actually get out of a full charge. You can change your style and conditions to improve your projected miles. It can take a couple of days of learning about you for the GOM to settle in to give you more accurate estimates and will track your drop in miles reasonably well. Since it's late Spring, I assume low temperatures are not a big factor here, but ALL EV's are sensitive to the ambient temperatures. Generally, EV batteries like 77F to 95F operating range (FYI, EPA mileage estimates are made for the optimal temps). Ambient temps outside that range will limit the battery performance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply JNeCox!

yes, as stated in my post I set it to 100%.
The weather here in SoCal is pretty good, my Model S has no issues reflecting true range on my car. I had air condition turned off on the E-tron, getting 2.5 miles per kw is a pretty good result for an E-tron, so I’m just a bit surprised for losing that 22 miles (10%) without any reason.
I hope you are right about the “guess o meter”, however, as I mentioned my Model S never guesses, it’s on point, so I would expect similar from the Audi, especially full charged :) I understand they work differently, but seeing “199” on a vehicle that’s advertised as 221 is not comforting to see. Most consumers are not aware of such guess o meters... And nowhere does Audi brings it to our attention. A bit disappointed to be honest.

thanks again for your reply!

·
Registered
785 Posts
LOL, the weather in southern California is the climate for which Elon designed the Tesla and is the weather every other EV company wish existed worldwide. Generally, praises are few and far between regarding the accuracy of the Tesla GOM in other parts of the world. Audi had to face that head on, being based in Germany, and that largely explains why E trons are the number one EV in Norway!

One other thing you might check, is the State of Charge graph. When you have set your car to 100% max, after it tells you it is fully charged, is that also reflected as showing100% in the graph for the SOC? There have been some issues where the car will stop charging before reaching the set maximum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL, the weather in southern California is the climate for which Elon designed the Tesla and is the weather every other EV company wish existed worldwide. Generally, praises are few and far between regarding the accuracy of the Tesla GOM in other parts of the world. Audi had to face that head on, being based in Germany, and that largely explains why E trons are the number one EV in Norway!

One other thing you might check, is the State of Charge graph. When you have set your car to 100% max, after it tells you it is fully charged, is that also reflected as showing100% in the graph for the SOC? There have been some issues where the car will stop charging before reaching the set maximum.
Yep, it’s showing 100% in the graph for the State of Charge as well.
Does it show different amounts for every person basically? I mean that’s what I’m reading out of all this :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
From what I have read it does, and also have you gone into the settings and somewhere there is a Range button that will sort of turn everything off / into Eco mode to get the maximum out of your range and limits the car to a certain mpg apparently - what does that then change your GOM to?

3 minutes into this video:

It must be taking into account something else turned on in the vehicle / conditions etc as if you calculate based on your 2.5 m / kwh usage then I believe the battery for the 55 etron has 86.5kwh available = 86.5 * 2.5 = 216.25 miles. Your GOM I believe takes into account various factors (sorry I dont know fully and only going on what I have been reading as have not got my car yet)

·
Registered
92 Posts
my Model S has no issues reflecting true range on my car.
Your model s doesn't even try to reflect the true range on the car. It just looks at the percent charged and multiplies it by the epa estimate.

Keep in mind that the audi factors in previous driving conditions in estimating the range. As far as its concerned right now, you drive the car by doing short, quick hops, blasting the acceleration a few times and then sitting out in front of the dealership with the vehicle powered up, blasting the ac while all the features are talked about to potential customers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Keep in mind that the audi factors in previous driving conditions in estimating the range. As far as its concerned right now, you drive the car by doing short, quick hops, blasting the acceleration a few times and then sitting out in front of the dealership with the vehicle powered up, blasting the ac while all the features are talked about to potential customers.
Yup, that’s what happened to me in my first go-around. When you first pick up the car, the dealer discusses features with you as the car is running with the AC or heat blasting. In my case, having driven EVs for 4 years prior, I knew the GOM was going to be initially whacked in terms of my driving behavior, until I had some miles under my belt.

Likewise, the initial (new car) estimate on the GoM always seems to be unrealistically high. I believe mine was something like 260 miles when I picked up the car, as was another car I saw being delivered a few weeks earlier. I’m not sure how that first GoM number is arrived at, but I’m sure that must be very misleading for those unfamiliar with BEVs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for your reply JNeCox!

yes, as stated in my post I set it to 100%.
The weather here in SoCal is pretty good, my Model S has no issues reflecting true range on my car. I had air condition turned off on the E-tron, getting 2.5 miles per kw is a pretty good result for an E-tron, so I’m just a bit surprised for losing that 22 miles (10%) without any reason.
I hope you are right about the “guess o meter”, however, as I mentioned my Model S never guesses, it’s on point, so I would expect similar from the Audi, especially full charged :) I understand they work differently, but seeing “199” on a vehicle that’s advertised as 221 is not comforting to see. Most consumers are not aware of such guess o meters... And nowhere does Audi brings it to our attention. A bit disappointed to be honest.

thanks again for your reply!
Coming from model s you should know that any range from EV especially for a new car is to learn the variables. My new Etron projected 245 miles at the dealer but after two weeks has come to 220 on 100%. Also range at charging is calculated based on last driving mode. If you drove rough on last stretch before charging, it will reflect based on that driving session.

·
Registered
130 Posts
believe mine was something like 260 miles when I picked up the car, as was another car I saw being delivered a few weeks earlier. I’m not sure how that first GoM number is arrived at, but I’m sure that must be very misleading for those unfamiliar with BEVs.
Yes, how do they even get those massive numbers?

On a cool March morning when, by lunchtime, the temp had got to 14.5 degrees, I picked it up and it showed 270 miles . I drove it 10 miles home and it still showed 259 miles.

Since then over the past 1,500 miles it has consistently shown 225 - 235 miles.

Doubt that I will ever see 270 again :(

Just the way it is.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes, how do they even get those massive numbers?

On a cool March morning when, by lunchtime, the temp had got to 14.5 degrees, I picked it up and it showed 270 miles . I drove it 10 miles home and it still showed 259 miles.

Since then over the past 1,500 miles it has consistently shown 225 - 235 miles.

Doubt that I will ever see 270 again :(

Just the way it is.....
The initial 270 mile is due to its new , it Doesnot know what mile it supposed to drive. Later on only way it will show 225-235 is if you have it fully charged and drive with HVAC off otherwise no chance .

·
Registered
280 Posts
Would it be that high initially because the battery is up at its FULL true 100% level or thereabouts. Any future charges would only then take it to the limitations set to preserve battery life (but what we then see as 100%)

·
Registered
130 Posts
The initial 270 mile is due to its new , it Doesnot know what mile it supposed to drive. Later on only way it will show 225-235 is if you have it fully charged and drive with HVAC off otherwise no chance .
Obviously that is true but rather than "It doesn't know therefore we will crank it up to 270", the design philosophy could have been "It doesn't know therefore we will start off at a realistic level, or even "It doesn't know therefore we will wait until we do" (there is a battery fuel gauge after all).

Like I say, I doubt that I will ever see 270 again :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
Would it be that high initially because the battery is up at its FULL true 100% level or thereabouts. Any future charges would only then take it to the limitations set to preserve battery life (but what we then see as 100%)
Hi Bhuna, yes all of the figures relate to 100%.

270 miles at 100% on collection (on a fairly cool March day).

225 - 235 miles at 100% consistently thereafter.

It is not that I am really complaining, I knew that the 225 - 235 figures were to be expected but somehow the 270 number in the showroom seems slightly disingenuous as it is unrealistic in the real world.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry didnt make myself clear. The 100% we see is not the full 100% of the battery - ie there is leeway each end to protect the battery life. However, when receiving the car brand new showing 270 miles is the FULL 100% 95kwh charge in it having left the factory and only done a few miles for delivery.

Then when the customer starts to charge the machine having used it...the limits are in place so whilst we see 100% its actually the 86kwH we see as 100%.

·
Registered
92 Posts
However, when receiving the car brand new showing 270 miles is the FULL 100% 95kwh charge in it having left the factory and only done a few miles for delivery.
The car isn't usually delivered with a full charge to my understanding. No reason for it to spend it's time being shipped with the battery at 100+% degrading the cells.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
There are also safety and fire concerns when it is shipped from Europe overseas. I would be surprised if the cars were even charged to 80% for shipping.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you mean by 'FULL true 100%' that none of the normal buffer restrictions on the top that are normally imposed by Audi are lifted at the first charge, no. We can never truly top the battery off at a 'true' 100% because Audi leaves a buffer at the top & the bottom. The amount of buffer depends on the model year. So the 100% your dealer delivers to your car at is exactly the same 100% you would do at home. Your dealer encounters that same top end restriction that we do at home.

What the point of contention here is, that for some reason the initial first charge to 100% yields an unrealistically high number that you're not likely to see again.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
492 Posts
The answer would lie in the GOM math, I am sure. If you have no baseline to speak of, GOM would likely have to use some initial consumption numbers, likely completely off the rocker or ideal ones, resulting in range showing close to theoretical maximum. It will not happen again, once GOM starts using the actual driving data.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
199 Posts
The answer would lie in the GOM math, I am sure. If you have no baseline to speak of, GOM would likely have to use some initial consumption numbers, likely completely off the rocker or ideal ones, resulting in range showing close to theoretical maximum. It will not happen again, once GOM starts using the actual driving data.
I think this is the only explanation. The GOM is using some default, pre-baked 'ideal' efficiency parameters.

270 predicted miles from 86.5kWh usable battery is around 3.12m/kWh.This is obviously difficult to achieve in the real world but it's not that far off the 2.9m/kWh to achieve the WLTP 250 mile range which Audi uses to advertise its car. My wife and I are able to exceed this on occasion if the conditions are right, even now in the UK Springtime.

Perhaps the default 'pre-baked' efficiency is the WLTP metric but in addition a combination of factors on that happy collection day improved the GOM score, such as: weather conditions, ambient temperature and battery temperature (had the car just been charged up and thus had a toasty warm battery?). These could have elevated the predicted efficiciency somewhat. With the absence of historic journey information (i.e. how heavy your right foot is) it displayed the predicted range based on all of the above alone.

None of this will be comforting for the new owners who will perhaps never see that figure ever again!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts