Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2019 etron, prestige level, all the bells and whistles except night vision. Bought it August 2020. Just got it's first service three days ago. Frankly, I've given up on some of the problems, like the phone connection and the camera. They can't replicate any of the issues I have. It all seems to center around the charging system and the MMI/computer system.

Total length of ownership: 6 months
Total time in service dept: 1.1 months
Average length of service visit: 4 days
Mean time to failure (MTTF) - all faults: 2 days

Here's my gripe list

1) Charging Interruptions / Not initiating charging
Often stops charging mid charge at the non-network (meaning not a paid EV charger) locations. Watched it stop four times in a row, about 5 min apart on the same charger that normally works fine. Have tried 20 different chargers in my complex and at work, same result. It will also do it at paid stations, but will not resume doe to not being reauthorized. Also has difficulty initiating charging to multiple HV charging such as Electrify America, EVGO, Chargepoint. Experienced with both Level 2 and 3 chargers. Upon asking service dept, they said it was fine when they did it. But they only charged it once. They had it a week and it was "on charge the whole time with no interruptions". But they never drained it again. Meaning their testing procedure wasn't pulling a full current load for the whole week, just a trickle charge for most of the week. Poor testing procedure by Audi.
Fix Status: Open
Occurrence: 1-2 times per week
Trips to service dept: 2

2) MMI: Nav
The system forgets favorites and home address.
Trips to service dept: 4

3) MMI: phone connection
Will not connect via bluetooth to phone. Will not connect via USB. Have also tried alternate phone. And then walked over and connected both phones to a different Audi, the phones work fine.

4) MMI: parking camera system
Cameras will black out, often for several hours. System reset and vehicle power cycle will not resolve. Often comes back on its own hours later or the next day.
Occurrence: 1-2 times per month
Trips to service dept: 1

5) Parking sensors
False alarms in a parking lot and on a highway. Sensor will react without anything in the sensor zone.
Occurrence: 1-2 times per day

- note, good list format stolen from Peter!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
Seems like you should have the car left at the dealership for a few days and used by a technician. These are all intermittent problems, likely software critters, because everything failing seems to be software related. Without good will from the dealership these will likely remain unresolved.

Side question - what's the last 5 digits of the VIN? Just trying to see whether there is any correlation between the early build number and software / hardware critters.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree that most are software issues. Or possibly SOC (system on a chip) which is a quasi hardware/software issue since these have a done of "computers". They're not traditional computers like laptops and desktops so they fail differently.

It was at the dealer this past time for five days. But Audi North America's procedure is NOT to let them drive it for the purpose of draining the battery. Hence my feedback that they need to change their procedure and have the techs drive it in order to test it under normal charging conditions. They listened to my suggestion, and are asking higher, assuming Audi NA. The average length of my trips has been four days, longest was 8. It's been in twice for the charging.

last 5 are: 24204

Seems like you should have the car left at the dealership for a few days and used by a technician. These are all intermittent problems, likely software critters, because everything failing seems to be software related. Without good will from the dealership these will likely remain unresolved.

Side question - what's the last 5 digits of the VIN? Just trying to see whether there is any correlation between the early build number and software / hardware critters.

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
I've got a 2019 etron, prestige level, all the bells and whistles except night vision. Bought it August 2020. Just got it's first service three days ago. Frankly, I've given up on some of the problems, like the phone connection and the camera. They can't replicate any of the issues I have. It all seems to center around the charging system and the MMI/computer system.

Here's my gripe list

Often stops charging mid charge at the non-network (meaning not a paid EV charger) locations. Watched it stop four times in a row, about 5 min apart on the same charger that normally works fine. Have tried 20 different chargers in my complex and at work, same result. It will also do it at paid stations, but will not resume doe to not being reauthorized. Also has difficulty initiating charging to multiple HV charging such as Electrify America, EVGO, Chargepoint. Experienced with both Level 2 and 3 chargers. Upon asking service dept, they said it was fine when they did it. But they only charged it once. They had it a week and it was "on charge the whole time with no interruptions". But they never drained it again. Meaning their testing procedure wasn't pulling a full current load for the whole week, just a trickle charge for most of the week. Poor testing procedure by Audi.

Will not connect via bluetooth to phone. Will not connect via USB. Have also tried alternate phone. And then walked over and connected both phones to a different Audi, the phones work fine.

Cameras will black out, often for several hours. System reset and vehicle power cycle will not resolve. Often comes back on its own hours later or the next day.

5) Parking sensors
False alarms in a parking lot and on a highway. Sensor will react without anything in the sensor zone.

Annoying SW glitches, but that's sort to be expected on a brand new model. That's why I believe it's critical for all VAG product owners to have OBD Eleven Pro Next Gen tool. You can see if any fault codes are pulled and I gives these to my Audi SA so that they can't give me the "unable to replicate customer concern" as easily.

For charging issues- have you had Audi Service look at this TSB? https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10180149-0001.pdf

For the camera bug- there may be a fix- at least, they did for me: parameterization and SW update after checking the physical connections by having to remove the passenger seat and central console. We have a thread on AW. Show your dealership this.(This was Audi Fletcher Jones in Costa Mesa, CA. If you are in the LA/OC area, ask for Ryan B for Audi SA). Camera Bug - AudiWorld Forums

For your false Pre-Sense, consider reading this TSB- there's a way for the Audi Service tech to look at your logs: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10170631-0001.pdf

Here's list of all the TSBs: 2019 Audi e-tron TSBs | CarComplaints.com

Reactions: mmmzon

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Here's my gripe list

5) Parking sensors

Early on with my 2019 Etron, I had the black-out problem with the camera that would not quickly resolve itself (now, I occasionally have it not turn on when I shift to R, but It will activate if I shift back to D and then to R again). I took it in and complained that it is a serious safety issue--the site lines and window tints basically make backing out without some camera info (however the sensors seemed to work) a matter pure guesswork. My Dealer would not let me drive off the lot with the car and gave me a loaner until they fixed the problem. Maybe they thought I was implying a lawsuit......whatever works!

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
@calbear92 does the car log all faults or do they get deleted over time?
They remain in the Audi computer until they are cleared (usually at time of service when they run their scan).

OBD Eleven app also stores history on all faults and coding changes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts