Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced a reduced range after receiving there first service and MMI recalls / updates . My service light came on at 4500 miles or 10 months of ownership so I scheduled a service because you can not reset the service light yourself per the owners manual instructions .My adviser told me they had to do MMI recalls / updates while it was being serviced so I agreed. The dealership charged my vehicle before I picked it up and it showed 176 miles and I guessed
they had not enough time to charge completely, since my dealership is roughly 2 hours away we visited family and went to dinner after picking the vehicle up before making the drive home. I then stopped at an Electrify America fast charging station to top off before driving 130 miles home as usual. At 100% my mileage was 176 miles I was not worried as sometimes at fast chargers it never reaches over 200 miles. Once I made it home I put on my charger and at 100 % 176 miles again before the update I could charge 201-211 miles . I have checked the charge range and its set to long range 100%. Does anyone have any Ideas, I should hope I do not loose this 30 miles of range permanently as with only 201 miles it is already hard to complete long trips.
Any help or direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Probably just another case of range obsession. It may take a long time for the GOM to creep back up past 200. The dealer may have left it "on" for a few hours while they were playing with the software, making the car think your typical usage going forward includes running AC, lights, etc. without adding any miles. Sleep soundly, and if you can't get the range back to where it was after your typical driving for a few weeks, then be concerned.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Right. The GOM is only an approximation. Plus, how's your weather been? In Fall here we bounce between nights in the 50's to nights in the 30's, so the full charge varies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably just another case of range obsession. It may take a long time for the GOM to creep back up past 200. The dealer may have left it "on" for a few hours while they were playing with the software, making the car think your typical usage going forward includes running AC, lights, etc. without adding any miles. Sleep soundly, and if you can't get the range back to where it was after your typical driving for a few weeks, then be concerned.
Hello Joe,
thanks for the info, I will wait a few weeks and see if it slowly creeps back up if not I will let the dealer know when I return for the warranty tail light bar replacement .
Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right. The GOM is only an approximation. Plus, how's your weather been? In Fall here we bounce between nights in the 50's to nights in the 30's, so the full charge varies.
Live in North Florida weather has been very normal with no cold swings yet, hope the mileage slowly creeps back up .
Will see after I charge it a couple more times.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Live in North Florida weather has been very normal with no cold swings yet, hope the mileage slowly creeps back up .
Will see after I charge it a couple more times.
Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately I think 176 is about normal. I used to get 220 at first then 210, then 190 and now 175-180 on 100% charge. This is over the course of going from 0 to 5000+ miles. I usually charge to 80% and get about 150-155 miles at that level. I don't know if the batter got worse or the calculations just zeroed in over time to the right number.

I found an article at motor trend that gives ratings for ranges based on speed.

To get the rated 204 range you need to drive slow, maybe 50-55mph, and use the regenerative braking to achieve that.
Probably you drove home at 70-75mph, which the car only gets about 159-167 miles of range at that speed when driving consistently at speed.

Around the oval track, with the air conditioning set at 70 degrees and an ambient temperature of 105, here's what we got: 2.1 mi/kW-hr at 65 mph, 2.0 mi/kW-hr at 70 mph, 1.9 mi/kW-hr at 75 mph, and 1.8 mi/kW-hr at 80 mph. If we extrapolate those numbers to calculate total range, even running at 65 mph the E-Tron would tap out after just 176 miles (83.6 kW-hr * 2.1 mi/kW-hr = 175.6 miles), significantly short of the 204-mile EPA estimate.
As per the article, this was in 105 degree heat and so the numbers may be slightly less than normal driving conditions.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unfortunately I think 176 is about normal. I used to get 220 at first then 210, then 190 and now 175-180 on 100% charge. This is over the course of going from 0 to 5000+ miles. I usually charge to 80% and get about 150-155 miles at that level. I don't know if the batter got worse or the calculations just zeroed in over time to the right number.

To get the rated 204 range you need to drive slow, maybe 50-55mph, and use the regenerative braking to achieve that.
Probably you drove home at 70-75mph, which the car only gets about 159-167 miles of range at that speed when driving consistently at speed.

As per the article, this was in 105 degree heat and so the numbers may be slightly less than normal driving conditions.
In my E Tron, in real time I definitely get the get the most bang for my buck on my GOM reading by Coasting. Coasting is about 30% more efficient than relying on regen. Regen happens naturally when I have to slow down.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
The dealer may have left it "on" for a few hours while they were playing with the software, making the car think your typical usage going forward includes running AC, lights, etc. without adding any miles.
My e-Tron just came back from the workshop showing 204 miles at 80% charge. I was unsure if this would last, and would agree that the most likely reason is that it had been switched on for almost 3 days in the workshop whilst they were working on it and then only completed a couple of short test drives before handing it back to me. The range prediction is therefore based upon the most recent driving history and will likely be lower during real world use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi Noel,
My mileage just turned 5400 and I am experiencing the same numbers as you to the T . I Just charged for a trip to 100 % and the range showed 205 soon as I started driving it started to drop slowly and went to 180 within about 5 minutes then became accurate for the rest of the time. I recharged at electrify America and it showed 100% 180 miles .I will do some more charging and advise.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
I’ve got a theory that the accuracy of the GOM is only to one decimal place, e.g 2.5, 2.3 kWh. Therefore since the battery has a finite capacity we often end up with very similar range figures like 204 mi. According to how you drive you then fall into different buckets etc 189, or 176mi if on a cold day or when turning on the heaters.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi Noel,
My mileage just turned 5400 and I am experiencing the same numbers as you to the T . I Just charged for a trip to 100 % and the range showed 205 soon as I started driving it started to drop slowly and went to 180 within about 5 minutes then became accurate for the rest of the time. I recharged at electrify America and it showed 100% 180 miles .I will do some more charging and advise.
Did you precondition your car before leaving (meaning, set up a timer on the MyAudi App to charge the battery and precondition the car cabin/battery to complete just before you are leaving)? Not sure what outside temp you were starting out in, but I have found if it is in the 40's deg F when I head out with a cold start, I will bleed miles like crazy for the first 30 plus minutes, as my battery efficiency slowly climbs up to its max, typically about 2.3 KwH/mi for me. If I precondition the car, that time to reach max efficiency will be cut in half, and it will spare me from wasting 10 to 15 miles according to my GOM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts