Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Q4 e-tron will be the very first Audi to an augmented reality head-up display!
"The 2022 Audi Q4 E-Tron will introduce an augmented reality head-up display (HUD) and a fresh steering-wheel design, as well as Audi’s largest touchscreen system.

The Q4’s interface is different from anything else in the Audi lineup, although it uses the latest A3 as a jumping point. It combines a digital instrument cluster, a central MMI touchscreen, natural-language voice control, and the optional augmented reality HUD.

The HUD superimposes navigation directions or safety concerns over the real situation, as the driver sees it through the windshield, at a focus point of about 33 feet ahead of the driver. The images are placed through an AR Creator system that gets rid of visual latency by predicting the position of the vehicle moments later, and generates them around the geometry of its optics. Static gauge displays and other prompts are at a focus point of about 10 feet ahead.

The augmented reality display and new touchscreen system are both part of Audi’s latest MIB 3 infotainment platform. It includes a version of Audi’s Virtual Cockpit display directly ahead of the driver. Some versions of the Q4 E-Tron will include a 10.3-inch touchscreen at the middle of the dash, but an 11.6-inch system is available and is, as the automaker noted, its largest.

The Q4 E-Tron includes touch “buttons” augmented by haptic feedback at the midline of the dash. A new flat-bottom steering-wheel design makes its debut here, and the buttons that are on the wheel provide haptic feedback. The driver also has the option of saying “Hey Audi” to activate natural-language commands."

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
... and now just waiting for news it will not be available in US, like VW cut it out from ID.4 lineup for US ...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
... and now just waiting for news it will not be available in US, like VW cut it out from ID.4 lineup for US ...
I know it doesn't help that the image I posted shows a euro sized license plate :LOL:
Something about the Q4 has me thinking this is not a model they'll want to hold back features on. Its segment is one of the most competitive globally and this is one of the easier features to include.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
Yeah, I was sold on ID.4 until I learned that most of the more advanced features would not be available in US. That was it for me. I still have one gas car in the family and wondering whether Q4 would be a good replacement or not. However, if they cut features like they did for ID.4, it would be a no go.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was sold on ID.4 until I learned that most of the more advanced features would not be available in US. That was it for me. I still have one gas car in the family and wondering whether Q4 would be a good replacement or not. However, if they cut features like they did for ID.4, it would be a no go.
On the ID.4 it isn't much of a loss to VW. They say it was made to rival the Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav4 and so on. With that reach, an insignificant amount of people would be discouraged to get one due to the lack of features like HUD.

Anything else you think they might hold back on the Q4 e-tron?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
On Q4 I assume? As long as thermal management on the battery exists it's good news.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
A lot depends on whether Audi does the same trick with thermal management on batter side or not. If they go with standard ID.4 like battery arrangement, charging speeds will be affected. There are some good tests out there of ID.4 charging speed and I am not impressed, honestly. We shall see. Audi has freedom to change a lot in the platform, hopefully for good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good review on charge rates and consistency of MEB platform used in VW ID.4. Peak power claims for fast charging is only valuable if you can sustain that charge rate. Nice to see MEB pack sustain high charge rates .... 20% to 80% in 31 minutes and 0% (don't go there) to 100% in 62 minutes. I am hoping Audi can do better and add a little more range!

"VW ID.4 Amazes With DC Fast Charging Consistency (3 Cars Compared)"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good review on charge rates and consistency of MEB platform used in VW ID.4. Peak power claims for fast charging is only valuable if you can sustain that charge rate. Nice to see MEB pack sustain high charge rates .... 20% to 80% in 31 minutes and 0% (don't go there) to 100% in 62 minutes. I am hoping Audi can do better and add a little more range!

"VW ID.4 Amazes With DC Fast Charging Consistency (3 Cars Compared)"
So if the battery pack is held at a constant 77 degrees, and peak power intake is almost instantaneous, wouldn't that mean a constant battery (phantom) drain to always maintain that temperature. Might he be referring to when the car is operational as opposed to sitting in your garage? I can't see how this would work otherwise.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
So if the battery pack is held at a constant 77 degrees, and peak power intake is almost instantaneous, wouldn't that mean a constant battery (phantom) drain to always maintain that temperature. Might he be referring to when the car is operational as opposed to sitting in your garage? I can't see how this would work otherwise.
I agree that this 77 claim is questionable. This kind of claim was also made for the 2019 Etron. Looking through the 2019 E Tron eSelf-Study guide I can only find two references to the car actively dealing with the battery temperature. If the temp when starting to charge is 14F or lower, the car actively warms the battery up before starting to charge; if above 95F, the car will actively cool the battery before it will start charging. The car is well known to have no phantom drain when parked and turned off. Stealing charge from the battery just to keep it warm simply cannot lead to better mileage overall. When operating, the combined heat coming from the battery and from the drivetrain can be employed to warm the battery. But, if coming from a cold start in a cold garage it will take time to heat up all that battery mass. This 77F claim seems to be pulling heat out of thin air. If you read other threads here about charging in really cold weather (eg, Canada), clearly it takes awhile for the charging to pick up. Relative to other EV's the ramp up is still quite fast, but instantaneous? Is something being lost in the translation here?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yup, I'm convinced something is being lost in the translation. Can you imagine if the car is parked outside in the winter and the systems tried to maintain the battery at 77 while the car was off. Think dead main traction battery after a few days...or at least significantly depleted.

On another note, since the Q4 and ID4 have some of the same underpinnings, does anyone think the Q4 will be capable of OTA updates like the VW?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
Well, there is a separate thread on OTA somewhere here or on ID.4 forum. There is a lot of speculation. eTron does technically have OTA, whereby your maps, etc. get updated remotely but the basic engine, battery, etc. requires a shop visit. The concern was bricking the car remotely and then having to get it towed. Not sure how reasonable a concern that is, though, given that others can do it remotely with little to no issues.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, there is a separate thread on OTA somewhere here or on ID.4 forum. There is a lot of speculation. eTron does technically have OTA, whereby your maps, etc. get updated remotely but the basic engine, battery, etc. requires a shop visit. The concern was bricking the car remotely and then having to get it towed. Not sure how reasonable a concern that is, though, given that others can do it remotely with little to no issues.
Yeah, I don't think bricking the car is any longer a concern, so if OTA is possible, I hope Audi brings it on.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
Yeah, I don't think bricking the car is any longer a concern
As far as software is concerned, it is always an issue. Something goes wrong, you're left with an expensive toaster and need to haul it to dealership.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think that concern has been overblown over the years. I’ve never heard of a case yet where the car was bricked. I had a Tesla and there were tons of updates with no issues. Sure they can mess up a feature that previously was OK, but bricking a car, nah.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is from a thread on the AudiWorld forum for E Trons:

The fairly large capacity serves Tesla well. In reality the sensitivity to charging degradation is pretty significant. While at first they had no buffer and just recommended that drivers only occasionally take it to 100%, a string of battery failures and fires led them to perform some OTA's that essentially apply a buffer limit on their batteries. They don't tell you that, but just fold it into their GOM calculation. A few lawsuits have been filed for "bait and switch", basically selling the cars claiming a certain range, but the delivering a vehicle with less range than advertised. That's the power of an OTA!

That same OTA update also reduced the charging curve. At 20% SOC, our Model S used to get 116kW. After the update, it was down to 80kW. I found out the hard way on a road trip shortly after, with a Tesla that charges at Hyundai Kona speeds. Tesla don't have a GOM, just a rated range display based on battery percentage. Ours had also dropped about 20 miles. Tesla has made me hate OTA updates, so I was happy that the e-tron doesn't have it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts