Audi e-tron Forum banner

'22 e-tron GT leases - keeping or trading in?

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Aur0ra12 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm two-thirds of the way into my 3-year lease with just over a year left (August '21 delivery). Are others who may be leasing thinking about keeping or turning it in at lease-end? I'll only be at 25k or so mileage when my lease is up.

I really love the car aside from the half-dozen or so electrical quirks and recalls, but am undecided if I want to keep it long-term. In the usual Audi ways, I don't see any new or exciting changes coming to the GT in the next year or so, so maybe it's time to try something else.

I also just had to replace the tires at just under 15k miles, which was expected.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I was considering leasing, mostly so that I wouldn't be locked into 2023 tech when everything's advancing so quickly, but the cost of keeping the car for only 3 years seemed excessive (I'm trying to "amortize" my big down payment over more years). Would you mind sharing what your total 3-year cost will be, including any down payment you may have made?

#5 ·
It doesn't matter if you buy, borrow, or lease -- those first three years will end up at around $2k/month.
If you plan to keep the car for another 5 years, and pay it off with a 5 year used car loan, you might pay about $1400/month or so, after which point you own the car outright, and maybe it's still worth something at the end.

The way I see it: The other cost is insurance and maintenance, and we don't know how well these will last past the warranty period -- if we believe it's solid, it's cheaper to keep the car rather than get something new. If we want something new, it's either back to $2k/month, or buy something along the lines of a BMW i4 M50... (Or a Chevy Bolt, which saves a lot of money! :-D)

#6 ·
The way I see it: The other cost is insurance and maintenance, and we don't know how well these will last past the warranty period -- if we believe it's solid, it's cheaper to keep the car rather than get something new. If we want something new, it's either back to $2k/month, or buy something along the lines of a BMW i4 M50... (Or a Chevy Bolt, which saves a lot of money! :-D)
That's the decision I have to make. We got rid of my wife's BMW X5 as soon as the warranty was over, assuming non-warranty repairs would be stupid expensive. I have a similar feeling about the e-tron GT.

#7 ·
I’m at about the same point in my S5 lease as you and looking to get a GT. I would much prefer an RS6 etron though and will ask for a lease extension to see if I could make that happen if allocations line up. If you wanted to try something different, maybe that would be the way to go as well?

#14 · (Edited)
Post warranty maintenance or out-of-pocket repairs?

The former should be a non-issue. Risk of the latter can by mitigated by an Audi "Pure Protection" plan.

We are going to keep the GT for ~6 to 6.5 years, in order to amortize the insane upfront costs. An 84 month/105k extended warranty coupled with the 96 month/100k battery coverage, should cap costs for that period and if dumped before those warranties end, should bump the value up a bit at disposition.

We did the same thing on my wife's Panamera PHEV, which was a total electrical/battery nightmare throughout the 8 years we owned it, but with a new battery, it pulled in a very good number on trade. Also went the same route with my AMG E63S that I kept for about 6 years.

Neither of us care about the newest tech or having a brand new model every 3 years, especially when factoring the acquisition costs and property taxes.

#12 ·
What would you trade it in for? Naturally, I was very interested in the Taycan, but they have huge waitlists and are essentially in a stop sale due to various parts issues. I would likely also break the bank; unable to contain myself with the options.

Polestar 5?

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies @ace10 and @das2.7t

I guess I wasn't thinking about an extended Audi plan. That might make me think twice about not keeping it longer, depending on how much it is when I start discussing with Audi. I did not negotiate any extended warranty on the front end, as I normally do not keep vehicles more than 3-4 years. There is so much new battery tech (specifically range as I'm only getting ~250 mi or so) coming out that I assumed I would want to trade up every 3 years.

#18 ·
Do manufacturers cover battery replacement out to ten years in the UK?
In the US, they are required to offer at least 8 years/100k miles replacement coverage. Tesla, Merc, Hyundai, Kia, and Rivian offer beyond that.

A failed battery in the 97th month could result in writing off the vehicle.

#22 ·
Back to the original question, my three year lease ends in 15 months. I will have invested $57000 USD between monthly payments and my down payment (trade in). I got a decent deal with real discounts. Performance package upgrade. I’m really torn at this point. I love the car except for the funky software glitches and its tendency to go out of alignment and eat tires. It was originally a 45k mile lease but I’ll have only around 35k miles on it. My buyout figure is set at $58k. A decent price I guess but I worry about the maintenance items after warranty expiration. I do find the BMW i4 50 very interesting, and a new one will cost around 70,000 USD. Could be a better value. I’ll take my GT, however, over any Tesla, Mustang Mach E, or Mercedes EV. We’ll see when it gets closer.

#25 ·
57k out the pocket already? then "keep" is the obvious answer, especially at a discounted $58k that they offered you -- goal is to capitalize that depreciation "expense" you paid out during the lease period into invested asset value.

and i4 is not in the same league as the GT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.