Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an electrician wire my nema 14-50 plug tomorrow. I read that some people have it connected to a 50amp circuit breaker and some to a 60amp circuit breaker. Does anyone know which is better? I am planning on using the home charging plug that came with the etron.
Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
The circuit breaker size will be based on the wire size used from the panel to the 14-50. To use a 60A circuit breaker, you will need to run 6 gauge wire, but for 50A you can run 8 gauge (cheaper).
50A vs 60A will not affect your charging speed, assuming both go through a 14-50 plug.

I wired my own garage circuit for the ETron level 2, and frankly, a 60A circuit will cost you more for the wire and breaker, but gain you nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok great! The guy installing it usually does Tesla chargers so I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best charging performance I could out of the garage. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Depending on your voltage at the charger outlet (208-240), the amperage required to deliver 9.6kWh is between 38-44.25A. Your breaker should have a limit 20% higher than your expected load. We have a 50A and it works fine. Per Joe's post, the bigger wiring to bear the 60A will probably cost a pretty decent chunk of cash. To date, the only charger that is bigger is a clipper creek unit which will run at around 65A. (They do have an industrial 80A but it costs $2700...)...

If you are using the Audi module, 50A should do it...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Depending on your voltage at the charger outlet (208-240), the amperage required to deliver 9.2kWh is between 38-44.25A. Your breaker should have a limit 20% higher than your expected load. We have a 50A and it works fine. Per Joe's post, the bigger wiring to bear the 60A will probably cost a pretty decent chunk of cash. To date, the only charger that is bigger is a clipper creek unit which will run at around 65A. (They do have an industrial 80A but it costs $2700...)...

If you are using the Audi module, 50A should do it...
I have a 40A dual pole breaker with no issues. I had a 50A breaker but electrician downsized based on the rating for Audi charger. FYI...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts