Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 etron 50 Black Edition
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always loved something that my old range rover did when reversing. The dipping passenger side mirror !

I didn't realise that in fact the Audi has this function too.. Which given I have the large very beautiful wheels, I need when reversing into a parking spot, where I need to see the curb.

To activate this - just turn the little dial which is used to adjust the wing mirrors which is located on the drivers door, to the left where it lines up with the passenger side mirror.

then when you reverse it dips down to see the curb. And reverts back to normal when you drive off.
😁

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
It's a great feature. Been around for a few years on Audis, and no doubt many other marques by now. I wish I could say it has helped me completely avoid any and all rash on my HREs, but alas. And of course in the rest of the world that drives on the correct side of the road, the indicator points to the passenger side mirror on the right.;)

·
Registered
2020 etron 50 Black Edition
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's just remember why we drive on the correct side of the road .. when on horseback you would have your sword in your right hand. Hence passing to the left of the oncoming enemy..!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let's just remember why we drive on the correct side of the road .. when on horseback you would have your sword in your right hand. Hence passing to the left of the oncoming enemy..!
Napolean was left handed and that changed things in many countries.....

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
Napolean was left handed and that changed things in many countries.....
... Napoleon was exiled to the remote, British-held island of Saint Helena, in the South Atlantic Ocean, and ended up dying most likely due to stomach cancer ... not sure whether I want to go that route ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always loved something that my old range rover did when reversing. The dipping passenger side mirror !

I didn't realise that in fact the Audi has this function too.. Which given I have the large very beautiful wheels, I need when reversing into a parking spot, where I need to see the curb.

To activate this - just turn the little dial which is used to adjust the wing mirrors which is located on the drivers door, to the left where it lines up with the passenger side mirror.

then when you reverse it dips down to see the curb. And reverts back to normal when you drive off.
😁
Excellent, have it on my current Mercedes AMG but its also very nice to know it will be available on the new Audi e-tron gt (my first ever Audi and electric car) I ordered due in November (hopefully not delayed by Germany floods), its very useful for protecting your passenger side rear wheel when reversing.🤓

·
Registered
195 Posts
This feature has existed in German cars for decades and a lot of other manufactures have it has well. Volvo allow you to set both or either side to do this and KIA top trims will do both sides in later models. This function is also listed in the manual. I peruse that when I get a new vehicle to familiarize my self with the functions I need to operate the vehicle. Map stuff is later as I typically use my phone but having it let me know my limits on range helps.

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
This function is also listed in the manual. I peruse that when I get a new vehicle to familiarize my self with the functions I need to operate the vehicle.
Exactly. If we read our manuals, it’s amazing what we can learn. In my oh-my-god-I-can’t-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-my-car fever, I’ve even located manual folio sets on fleabay or elsewhere just to read through before getting my car. Amazing what a difference it makes to actually know your car before driving it, or before your take it out for the first rime after taking it home. One reason I think this is important is that, in my experience, even the most dedicated of salespersons doesn’t know the car that well. My dealer’s staff are superb folks, who are very nice and smart. They’ve already been through their GT training. But they don’t know anywhere near as much as we share here. If you’ve RTM, you will know more than most anyone at your dealership.
Yeah, just like almost any car in an airport rental garage, you can jump in and go, but you’ll miss out on a lot of what the car has to offer. Reading the manual doesn’t just reveal some of the pleasant surprises like OP discovered, but it also helps avoid frustration when things don’t work as expected, or that “cool feature” you saw online isn’t intuitively at hand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts