Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, Forum !

I read through manual, various posts here, and still cannot figure it out as to why and how it happens.

The car (2019 eTron) is locked and in the garage, I come over to pick something from inside, open driver's side door with key in my pocket, and the A/C panel lights up, and A/C switches on, even though I left it disabled (A/C was disabled, fan was on 2 speed, auto re-circulation). I switch the A/C off, close the door, lock the car, and try again. Nothing, nada. It does not happen again. A few attempts and nothing again. Then next day, similar situation, the same thing happens again.

I do not seem to make much sense of this behavior and what triggers it, but it is annoying. For some reason, the system thinks I want A/C switched on even though it was explicitly switched off before. I looked through all settings, manual description, etc. and do not seem to find any reason for this behavior.

I always use the same key, just FYI. The spare one is in the house and not on me, so there should be no reason to change the system behavior as far as I am concerned.

Any suggestions what to look at apart from standard settings? I did disable the air conditioning on my profile already.

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
2019 Audi eTron Prestige, 2019 Audi eTron Premium Plus, 2019 Audi Q5 Premium Plus, 87 Saleen Mustang
206 Posts
Look at your my Audi app under Climate Control settings. You could have a schedule that is active.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When you initially set up your profile, it sounds like you had the A/C turned off. Correct? Following that setup you locked the car with the key fob, so that that profile will be tied to that key fob. Is that correct, too? Still, the behavior you are seeing sounds like the proflile saved to that Fob is one with the A/C turned on. Have you tried resaving the corrected profile to the Fob? (Start the car-choose your Profile to be the active one--Make the changes (turn A/C off)-turn off the car--get out and shut the door and lock it with the key fob.) It may be that the change seems to work in the near term because the car thinks that it is a temporary change you want to make and so it holds that change in memory for awhile until the car actually goes into a full shut down. (The car actually shuts down in stages. It can take over an hour before it fully "turns off".) That way, if you are getting in and out frequently, you don't have to keep repeatedly changing the A/C every time. I find Audi has convenience features like that scattered all over the place.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car pre-conditioning is disabled in the settings anf i don't have it paired with the app for now

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried resaving the corrected profile to the Fob? (Start the car-choose your Profile to be the active one--Make the changes (turn A/C off)-turn off the car--get out and shut the door and lock it with the key fob.) It may be that the change seems to work in the near term because the car thinks that it is a temporary change you want to make and so it holds that change in memory for awhile until the car actually goes into a full shut down. That way, if you are getting in and out frequently, you don't have to keep repeatedly changing the A/C every time. I find Audi has convenience features like that scattered all over the place.
I'll try to do that tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Registered
360 Posts
So many people have had issues where their A/C remote request hasnt worked on their car, perhaps its turning yours on instead :D :D

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Config was updated and saved, we'll see how long that stays in the memory.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I found the culprit setting. "Start A/C after unlocking" was enabled so it was fighting (apparently) with the manual override on the bottom console. The darn thing is embedded deep in the air conditioning settings and it is not obvious why it would not be accessible on the main screen of that section.

I will observe over the next two days to confirm whether it solved the problem. Everything else (all A/C schedules, app settings, etc.) point to A/C being disabled and not scheduled at all. All per-conditioning is also disabled.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I believe I found the culprit setting. "Start A/C after unlocking" was enabled so it was fighting (apparently) with the manual override on the bottom console. The darn thing is embedded deep in the air conditioning settings and it is not obvious why it would not be accessible on the main screen of that section.

View attachment 1345

I will observe over the next two days to confirm whether it solved the problem. Everything else (all A/C schedules, app settings, etc.) point to A/C being disabled and not scheduled at all. All per-conditioning is also disabled.
I wonder what they mean by "A/C" there. Has your problem been that the heating system starts up (fans, etc) when you unlock the car, or is the A/C light coming on? The heating system (which Audi sometimes refers to as A/C), which involves the heat pump and resistive heaters, is turned on and off independently of the "A/C" button (the heating system is controlled by the ON/OFF tab that pops up when you hit the "..." on the Climate Screen. The A/C button controls the Air Cooling system, which is needed to cool the car and dehumdify the air.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of the time, all I have is auto-re-circulation and fan on, with A/C completely off. I'd expect the car start with the same set of settings as it was in when it was switched off. What I observed is that when I open the car and get in, A/C switches on - that is the problem that I was / am trying to solve. I do not understand why the system would think it was a great idea to switch it on in an uncommanded manner.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Most of the time, all I have is auto-re-circulation and fan on, with A/C completely off. I'd expect the car start with the same set of settings as it was in when it was switched off. What I observed is that when I open the car and get in, A/C switches on - that is the problem that I was / am trying to solve. I do not understand why the system would think it was a great idea to switch it on in an uncommanded manner.
Right! I can see where it would make sense to automatically start up the climate control system when you unlock the car, but it would make no sense to just turn on the A/C feature when you unlock the car. That's why I'm wondering about what they mean by "A/C" in that Settings window.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You and me ... the car was off during the night so I am hopeful to do empirical testing today to confirm whether that particular setting did the trick. Will update as the day unfolds ...

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
An update - so far so good. No A/C switching on anymore on me. Seems like the problem is solved (?)

·
Registered
9 Posts

View attachment 1345

Me thinks you've got it.
Mine had the same behaviour, and I thought it was wasteful when I'd access the vehicle briefly, and the A/C would start up..... Maybe useful in a hot climate, but only if you plan to drive soon.... Maybe I'll set it again in summer.
Joe
San Diego

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good evening, Forum !

I read through manual, various posts here, and still cannot figure it out as to why and how it happens.

The car (2019 eTron) is locked and in the garage, I come over to pick something from inside, open driver's side door with key in my pocket, and the A/C panel lights up, and A/C switches on, even though I left it disabled (A/C was disabled, fan was on 2 speed, auto re-circulation). I switch the A/C off, close the door, lock the car, and try again. Nothing, nada. It does not happen again. A few attempts and nothing again. Then next day, similar situation, the same thing happens again.

I do not seem to make much sense of this behavior and what triggers it, but it is annoying. For some reason, the system thinks I want A/C switched on even though it was explicitly switched off before. I looked through all settings, manual description, etc. and do not seem to find any reason for this behavior.

I always use the same key, just FYI. The spare one is in the house and not on me, so there should be no reason to change the system behavior as far as I am concerned.

Any suggestions what to look at apart from standard settings? I did disable the air conditioning on my profile already.

Thanks in advance !
Mine sometimes turns on in the middle of a drive!

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That one I have not experienced (yet) but at least the initial problem seems to be gone with the previously reported setting disabled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts