Audi e-tron Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts
I recently read where you can buy an TESLA TAP adapter to attach to your own adapter and charge off Tesla chargers. Anyone tried that?
Great call out, I haven't been brave enough to purchase one. My understanding is that the adapter only works with home and destination chargers and that you can't use it with Superchargers.
Correct. No Superchargers for the Tesla Tap. Also, there have been questions about the compatibility with the Gen 3 HPWC.....although there are not many of them in the wild, yet. I want to get one, as Parks Canada has done a bunch (could be up to 100 now) of level 2 EVSE installations with Tesla across Canada. The typical installation is for 2 J1772, and 4 Tesla HPWC. This hedges the bet, so you'd have access to 6 stations.

But

Tesla went on the warpath about a week ago, against all of the third party resellers using their name and/or logo in their sales efforts. Several of the reputable ones, like Abstract Ocean, have published the letter sent to them, and have announced that they will no longer sell the Logo'd puddle lights and other similar products after March 26. I suspect the same for Tesla Tap. Their website shows the product as not available, and Amazon and others show no stock or availability, currently. I hope they re-issue the product - I want one.

Correct. No Superchargers for the Tesla Tap. Also, there have been questions about the compatibility with the Gen 3 HPWC.....although there are not many of them in the wild, yet. I want to get one, as Parks Canada has done a bunch (could be up to 100 now) of level 2 EVSE installations with Tesla across Canada. The typical installation is for 2 J1772, and 4 Tesla HPWC. This hedges the bet, so you'd have access to 6 stations.

But

Tesla went on the warpath about a week ago, against all of the third party resellers using their name and/or logo in their sales efforts. Several of the reputable ones, like Abstract Ocean, have published the letter sent to them, and have announced that they will no longer sell the Logo'd puddle lights and other similar products after March 26. I suspect the same for Tesla Tap. Their website shows the product as not available, and Amazon and others show no stock or availability, currently. I hope they re-issue the product - I want one.
I've got a Tesla Tap 50A coming today, ordered two days ago. Their product is UL listed, unlike the Lectron version that sells on Amazon. Their website is still up, but they're out of stock on the 40A version.

I found the same issue of EA charger spacing on my drive up 35 to 70. I also had to call EA to reset multiple chargers, so that I could charge as close to 150kw as possible.

I see about an 8% increase in range consistently. I drive to Rockport quite often and that 8% has been a nice buffer. We are in desperate need of more chargers in and on the way to the gulf coast.

Two notable design updates are the addition of the extra charging port on the passenger side and the removal of the radar sensor from the lower front grill.

The 2019 had issues with the radar sensor. As a result of it and several other issues with my 2019, Audi of America (AoA) gave me a 15% trade credit to move me to a 2021. My 2021 has been substantially better. The only three issues I have had so far are with the NAV/ACC moving the cars position to the frontage road from the highway, CarPlay connectivity and it draws low levels of power after being set to and reaching 80% of charge. Audi is actively replacing the 5f module and the antenna. They are also working on an update for the Charging power draw issue. Fingers crossed!

...."and it draws low levels of power after being set to and reaching 80% of charge. "

Hmmm, is that why I've been seeing reports of people finding that their 12V battery has been drained?

...."and it draws low levels of power after being set to and reaching 80% of charge. "

Hmmm, is that why I've been seeing reports of people finding that their 12V battery has been drained?
I recorded my e-tron drawing low levels of power from my charger at 5-10 minute intervals. I sent them the logs and have received feedback that this has helped them troubleshoot the issue and that it will likely result in a software update. Where I haven't experienced a depleted 12v yet, that could definitely be part of the cause for a depleted 12v. I will send them an e-mail.

I recorded my e-tron drawing low levels of power from my charger at 5-10 minute intervals. I sent them the logs and have received feedback that this has helped them troubleshoot the issue and that it will likely result in a software update. Where I haven't experienced a depleted 12v yet, that could definitely be part of the cause for a depleted 12v. I will send them an e-mail.
One thing I just thought of...what charger are you using? I use the Audi stock charger and when I use the App to set up a timer, I normally add cabin conditioning as part of that procedure. When you do that, Audi will draw power from the wall for about 30 minutes around your Departure time so that your cabin is conditioned without depleting your battery. FYI.

I've got a Tesla Tap 50A coming today, ordered two days ago. Their product is UL listed, unlike the Lectron version that sells on Amazon. Their website is still up, but they're out of stock on the 40A version.
My concern is not knowing or being able to easily determine the amperage of the Destination chargers. Tesla G3 chargers are capable of 48amp (60amp breaker) and G2 chargers are capable of 80amps (100 amp breaker). The G2 chargers are more concerning because they use DIM switches to determine the amperage.

Warning from Tesla Tap: "It is recommended that you verify that the charger you are connecting to does not exceed your EV's voltage rating."

One thing I just thought of...what charger are you using? I use the Audi stock charger and when I use the App to set up a timer, I normally add cabin conditioning as part of that procedure. When you do that, Audi will draw power from the wall for about 30 minutes around your Departure time so that your cabin is conditioned without depleting your battery. FYI.
I use the JuiceBox Pro 40 primarily, but I also have Grizzl-e Classic, Schneider EV230WS and the Audi e-tron chargers. I have experienced the issue with all of them. The JuiceBox is able to provide me with the alerting that shows the frequency of occurrence and the amount of power draw since it is the only "smart" charger. The Audi app will also send alerts out showing that the charger was triggered, which is how I can confirm that it happens on the other chargers.

The cabin conditioning feature is great. This reminded me that I need ask AoA if the e-tron pre-conditions the battery as you approach charging stations (when using the MMI) like the Porsche Taycan. If not, that would be a great new feature...

I use the JuiceBox Pro 40 primarily, but I also have Grizzl-e Classic, Schneider EV230WS and the Audi e-tron chargers. I have experienced the issue with all of them. The JuiceBox is able to provide me with the alerting that shows the frequency of occurrence and the amount of power draw since it is the only "smart" charger. The Audi app will also send alerts out showing that the charger was triggered, which is how I can confirm that it happens on the other chargers.

The cabin conditioning feature is great. This reminded me that I need ask AoA if the e-tron pre-conditions the battery as you approach charging stations (when using the MMI) like the Porsche Taycan. If not, that would be a great new feature...
There is another thread on here somewhere, but, NO, Audi does not offer any kind of battery preconditioning as you approach a charging station. Audi relies on its top notch thermal management system to fairly quickly get the rate of charging ramped up to its maximum level and hold it there at least to the 80% SOC on HVDC chargers. (Now, this does not rule out that ETrons may make use of the heating system to help out at the start of charging, but there is no extended preheat period pre-heating. The Audi thermal managment system has the ability to direct waste heat from the drive train, electronics, etc, to warm the battery, once charging starts, but that is not clear from the literature that it does that. The rapid distribution of that heat uniformly throughout the battery helps to get things going.) Once some charging starts, self-heating of the battery quickly helps in the ramp up...to the point that soon cooling the battery becomes the issue. Of course,with the preheat strategy, if you use battery charge to heat the battery as you approach a charger, you are actively consuming "miles", so the pre-heat strategy is a bit dubious (since you have to replace those miles as well), other than the fact that you get the satisfaction of seeing your charge rate ramp up more quickly than it otherwise would. Tesla offers this preheat strategy, and it does not really speed up the overall time it takes to complete a charge. (While DC Charging, If you refer to the 2019 Etron eSelf-study guide, it looks like Audi will actively warm the battery if ambient drops below 14F and will actively cool the battery if it rises above 95F. I have not found any reference to anything special it does for that broad in-between range.)

There is another thread on here somewhere, but, NO, Audi does not offer any kind of battery preconditioning as you approach a charging station. Audi relies on its top notch thermal management system to fairly quickly get the rate of charging ramped up to its maximum level and hold it there at least to the 80% SOC on HVDC chargers. (Now, this does not rule out that ETrons may make use of the heating system to help out at the start of charging, but there is no extended preheat period pre-heating. The Audi thermal managment system has the ability to direct waste heat from the drive train, electronics, etc, to warm the battery, once charging starts, but that is not clear from the literature that it does that. The rapid distribution of that heat uniformly throughout the battery helps to get things going.) Once some charging starts, self-heating of the battery quickly helps in the ramp up...to the point that soon cooling the battery becomes the issue. Of course,with the preheat strategy, if you use battery charge to heat the battery as you approach a charger, you are actively consuming "miles", so the pre-heat strategy is a bit dubious (since you have to replace those miles as well), other than the fact that you get the satisfaction of seeing your charge rate ramp up more quickly than it otherwise would. Tesla offers this preheat strategy, and it does not really speed up the overall time it takes to complete a charge. (While DC Charging, If you refer to the 2019 Etron eSelf-study guide, it looks like Audi will actively warm the battery if ambient drops below 14F and will actively cool the battery if it rises above 95F. I have not found any reference to anything special it does for that broad in-between range.)
Great write-up and thanks for sharing! I found on my drive to Colorado that when the chargers worked as intended, some of the chargers would top out at around 109kw. It was tough to determine if it was a result of the e-tron or the model of charger. I did see 151kw speeds for a handful of chargers as well.

My concern is not knowing or being able to easily determine the amperage of the Destination chargers. Tesla G3 chargers are capable of 48amp (60amp breaker) and G2 chargers are capable of 80amps (100 amp breaker). The G2 chargers are more concerning because they use DIM switches to determine the amperage.

Warning from Tesla Tap: "It is recommended that you verify that the charger you are connecting to does not exceed your EV's voltage rating."
The amperage is not really that much of an issue here. The E-tron has an 11kW onboard charger. So it can take up to 50 A. If the Tesla charger is capable of more than that it will not matter as the E-tron will only draw 50 A. The bigger issue, and that is referring to that warning, is that some of those Tesla destination chargers operate on a higher voltage (270V I believe instead of 240V). So that could be a problem for the E-tron as I am not sure how it would handle that. This should typically only happen for destination chargers that are installed near Tesla Superchargers. So the ones installed at hotels etc. should not operate at anything higher than 240V as utilities usually do not offer anything higher.

I just spoke with Audi of America (AoA) and they confirmed that the e-tron will precondition if charging is required when using the MMI Navigation. I have requested a follow-up to the e-mail request I sent out yesterday. I will post the e-mail here when received.

I just spoke with Audi of America (AoA) and they confirmed that the e-tron will precondition if charging is required when using the MMI Navigation. I have requested a follow-up to the e-mail request I sent out yesterday. I will post the e-mail here when received.
That's very interesting. I have never used MMI Navigation to target a charger. How do you specify in Navigation if you want preconditioning? It would make sense to some extent; after all, the car has waste heat from the drivetrain/electronics/etc to work with in addition to battery charge. However, why would they not be using this all the time when the battery is being used in a cold ambient? It would be great to see this in official writing. Even AoA seems a little clueless about the Etron. You would think there would be a lot more description of this...many an E Tron owner in central Canada would appreciate knowing this advantage of using Navigation for targeting a charger.

That's very interesting. I have never used MMI Navigation to target a charger. How do you specify in Navigation if you want preconditioning? It would make sense to some extent; after all, the car has waste heat from the drivetrain/electronics/etc to work with in addition to battery charge. However, why would they not be using this all the time when the battery is being used in a cold ambient? It would be great to see this in official writing. Even AoA seems a little clueless about the Etron. You would think there would be a lot more description of this...many an E Tron owner in central Canada would appreciate knowing this advantage of using Navigation for targeting a charger.
Absolutely agree! I want to make sure I get it in writing. With that said, I am still waiting for the official "it's ok" to charge to 100% all the time based on my findings with the vampire power draw when charging to 80% and leaving the car plugged in. More to come...

How is the payment processed
Most of the Tesla destination chargers are free to the user. In 6 years of driving a Model S, I have yet to find one that charges (currency, that is).
Map, per Tesla...but there are MANY more on Plugshare (like me)

Reactions: Auditampa
Back in stock (yay). Ordered one today. Being shipped via USPS - who will hand it to Canada Post. I might get it by the time my car arrives in May;)

Great call out, I haven't been brave enough to purchase one. My understanding is that the adapter only works with home and destination chargers and that you can't use it with Superchargers.

Additionally, if you ever have an issue with an EA charger I highly encourage you to call them as soon as possible. I have found them to be extremely responsive with diagnosing charging issues and bringing stations back online. They operate their support line 24/7 and I tested this on my trip to Colorado earlier this year.:coffee:
You are correct: TeslaTap is good ONLY on home and destination Tesla chargers. It does NOT work on SuperChargers. Note that TeslaTap comes in different capacities: 40-amp, mini 60-amp, and even 80-amp version.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.