Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this. Car is a Q4 40 first edition.

I was driving home yesterday after a weekend away. About 30 miles into the journey the sat nav started acting up and the HUD going wild. Turn left, turn right, turn around ... it was clear it had lost position, as though it couldn't see any satellites. I wish there was a way to see how many satellites it is using, but I can't find anything.

At the same time I started getting warnings that traffic signal recognition wasn't working. I've seen that before and on that occasion cleared it by pulling over and turning the ignition off and back on. This time it didn't work and nothing changed. I turned off the HUD because it was so distracting and drove home without sat nav.

When I arrived home the sat nav still showed me in a field in Norfolk, close to the position where it failed. I carried out a full reset of the MMI but still no change. I was resigned to booking the car in for service then about 4 hours after arriving home I went back to the car and lo and behold it was working again. It still appears OK this morning.

I'm reluctant to take the car in for service as they seem to struggle with intermittent faults. I guess I'll just have to see if it happens again but I would be interested to hear if anything like this has happened to anyone else.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not entirely the same fault, but ours lost position on a motorway and put us about 500m east in a field.

The journey continued however with me being permanently 500m east of actual position so every corner was a fail etc.

Took 48hrs to resolve itself.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,342 Posts
A typical GPS receiver will take about 1 hr to correct itself if it does lose sight of all satellites. If visibility is poor (cloud cover, snow, rain), it might take longer. Not to mention any software glitches

·
Registered
401 Posts
What you describe does seem to be a fairly extreme example of loss of position but is not unheard of.

The satellite receivers used in cars are fairly simple, inexpensive units which can and do drop reception from time to time. Audi, along with many manufacturers, use solid-state gyros to improve the experience when this happens but sometimes even this doesn't do the trick.

As mmmzon mentions, it can take a while to sort things out although an hour would be considered a long time. You can get a feel for what happens when the car loses position by moving the car while it is powered down (a 50 mile ferry trip is a good way of experience that).

At the end of the day these are cheap receivers which do an ok job for simple motoring requirements. See how things go, it might be alright from now on.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've seen that before and on that occasion cleared it by pulling over and turning the ignition off and back on
How long did you leave the ignition off?
Were you still in the driver’s seat whilst you did so?

I can imagine a full shutdown and restart takes a while. Does anyone know of a documented procedure for doing the equivalent of completely turning the car off and on again?

·
Registered
489 Posts
As long as you have your 12V battery in, I do not think you will ever perform a full shutdown (cold reboot). Certain core elements remain powered on and do not reboot for a good reason.
Interestingly I've had to do a forced shutdown of my EV from another manufacturer because it went full derp and lost GPS, TACC, lane centering, rear camera etc. Had to disconnect the 12V and the HV battery and let it sit overnight. Supposedly they're a "tech company" but they don't have a way to do a real reboot? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are many devices which require a special cold boot procedure to make sure it is done right. Cars are just complex computers on wheels these days and getting more complex every development cycle.
Sure, but ultimately their support people were useless and wanted me to wait 2 weeks for a service appointment, which is absurd. If they had a "start deep sleep" command to let the autopilot computer power off (Which is all I really needed), it would havec saved a lot of aggravation. That's what the car is SUPPOSED to do on its own when it's parked for a while. If there's an internal API to trigger the deep sleep when the conditions are met, they should have a way to expose it even if it's just to their remote support people. If that doesn't work, then there should be a documented process to hard power-down the car, instead of me having to find it mentioned on some third party site.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
According to my Dealer and other online sources. To shutdown etron to the max: 1) shut all windows and sunroof; 2) get out and use the keyfob to lock all doors. Double click the lockbutton when locking it, so that you put the car into Ferry Mode (motion sensors deactivated); 3) move all the fobs to a location far away from the car; 4) do not access MyAudi app and wait at least 3 hours.
How long did you leave the ignition off?
Were you still in the driver’s seat whilst you did so?

I can imagine a full shutdown and restart takes a while. Does anyone know of a documented procedure for doing the equivalent of completely turning the car off and on again?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not entirely the same fault, but ours lost position on a motorway and put us about 500m east in a field.

The journey continued however with me being permanently 500m east of actual position so every corner was a fail etc.

Took 48hrs to resolve itself.
This happened to me recently as well.

Also, I had a situation where the radio suddenly emitted a high pitch buzzing, and then the MMI went black. Took about 15 minutes before it corrected itself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this. Car is a Q4 40 first edition.

I was driving home yesterday after a weekend away. About 30 miles into the journey the sat nav started acting up and the HUD going wild. Turn left, turn right, turn around ... it was clear it had lost position, as though it couldn't see any satellites. I wish there was a way to see how many satellites it is using, but I can't find anything.

At the same time I started getting warnings that traffic signal recognition wasn't working. I've seen that before and on that occasion cleared it by pulling over and turning the ignition off and back on. This time it didn't work and nothing changed. I turned off the HUD because it was so distracting and drove home without sat nav.

When I arrived home the sat nav still showed me in a field in Norfolk, close to the position where it failed. I carried out a full reset of the MMI but still no change. I was resigned to booking the car in for service then about 4 hours after arriving home I went back to the car and lo and behold it was working again. It still appears OK this morning.

I'm reluctant to take the car in for service as they seem to struggle with intermittent faults. I guess I'll just have to see if it happens again but I would be interested to hear if anything like this has happened to anyone else.
Hi. I have a 2022 Etron and the same thing happened to me today. I'm taking it in for service as they say they have to do an update that will take two hrs. Very strange.

·
Registered
41 Posts
According to my Dealer and other online sources. To shutdown etron to the max: 1) shut all windows and sunroof; 2) get out and use the keyfob to lock all doors. Double click the lockbutton when locking it, so that you put the car into Ferry Mode (motion sensors deactivated); 3) move all the fobs to a location far away from the car; 4) do not access MyAudi app and wait at least 3 hours.
W
I had this problem and even after 30 minutes with the power off, the GPS was still not working properly. This even affected the google map and Waze on my phone, if they were connected to apple car play.
When I got home, I checked again after 2-3 hours and when I started the car again the GPS was working. I also logged out of the MyAudi app and back in on my phone, as the car location on the app was still showing somewhere a few blocks away.
Not much help when I called the dealer, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts