Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
im new to the forum. So those who own the Etron, what are your suggestion. Go for it or no? based on ur own experience, are you happy with your decision or not?
im new to the the EV world and one of concerns is that just like techonoly changes, EV vehicle will get more and more range? At roughly the same price range a new Etron for example 3 years down the line would,have a lot more range than this. Or even a q8 electric or a q7 electric release in up coming years would have much more range than this. Once higher range cars come out, what will happen to this ? I don’t want to buy a 80k car and 3 years later not be able to sell it for 40. With motor cars range is not an issue so they retain their values, what about EV vehicles where every other years ranges are increasing. And I believe Audi so far is behind its competition in range already with this Etron. Thoughts?

·
Registered
Audi eTron 55 2020. Jaguar iPace HSE 2019.
86 Posts
2 or 3 yar lease. Don't actually buy one, madness, who actually does that now?

"Retain their value".. Err, no. If you think you can sell any 3 YO car for 50% of what you paid for it, forget it,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’m very happy with my etron 3 year lease
the car drives really well, is quiet and luxurious
there’re more and more fast chargers, so if you’re willing to do the extra work and carefully plan your long distance trips, it’ll be fine

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I wouldn't buy any vehicle with any assumption of future depreciation or what a new model may or may not have in terms of features, range, price, etc. Buy the vehicle for what it does today and what your needs/wants will be throughout the expected duration of ownership. Once you have that figured out, I would then say it depends on what kind of deals, offers, and rebates that are available in your region, today.

For example, if you can get around 30% off MSRP, as many have recently, it would be worth looking at all numbers. New, used, and lease. Then go with the one that works for your situation, length of ownership, and saves the most money.

·
Registered
176 Posts
All good advice. Given how "Wild West" the EV market is and how quickly it is changing, keep in mind that in 3 or 4 years you will likely be seriously interested in getting something new.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
The Q4 e-tron isn’t nearly as luxurious, though they are targeting more range.

The new polestar II has as much range as the e-tron, and road trips a lot slower due to charge speed.

The brand new XC40 Volvo recharge only has 210 miles EPA.

e-tron is comparable to model x at highway speeds, according to car and driver, top gear, etc. It’s charge curve is so good that where proper infrastructure exists it can travel 1000 kms in about the same time as the Teslas.

I think Audi hired the wrong marketing team, because it’s probably the nicest EV in existence. Just remember everything is always 2-3 years out.

If it works for your lifestyle (check A Better Route Planner), that’s all that matters

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm very happy with my 50 Technik. I certainly wouldn't buy at a time like this though. There are dozens of new models coming to market in the next 2-3 years. I think it's best to lease right now to insulate yourself from market volatility. If that's contract purchase with a guaranteed future value, or a contract hire agreement probably doesn't matter. I opted for the latter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Me too - both Evs on contract hire. eTron 2 Year, iPace 3 Year

·
Registered
105 Posts
Personal choice - I don't drive things I don't own. But either buy or lease, the worst thing you can do financially is get into a new car every couple years.
I pulled the trigger on the etron because I was seeing very marginal gains YoY in EV ranges. Next year's model has 10-20 more miles? Not enough to sway me to wait. I have had zero issues with the car in a year of ownership, but you'll find plenty of burned, bitter owners and former owners here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought one. Love it. After EV credits 57K on prestige can’t go wrong. Plan to keep it 3-4 years.
yes small issues here and there but the dealer takes care of you. Make sure you speak to the GM to take care of you in case there is an issue!
My friend has a model 3 and a model S and they were blown away, tried trading for for the e-TRON but they were loosing a lot on the Tesla hence not worth financially

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just one note, when I was considering buying or leasing I was surprised at how little a differential there was between the monthly lease payments and purchase payments. Usually leasing is cheaper. The dealer said that, being their first EV, Audi was uncertain how well they would go over or how well they would resell. They want to protect themselves as much as possible from costs due to being stuck with a bunch of leased-expired cars. I can understand that, I guess. Price it out, but I think you'll find that picking leasing or picking purchasing pretty much depends on what you ultimately want to do with the car. Who know what the trade-in value will be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very happy with my e-tron 50 technik. But I probably wouldn't have got one had the new Skoda iV, VW ID4 - or possibly even the model Y - been released already in the UK.

Those cars have many of the features I looked for when choosing the etron. ****, the Skoda and ID4 share some of the same hardware and buttons etc. They have a better cost to range ratio. Head would have ruled heart and I would have picked one of these cars.

But those cars weren't around when I pulled the trigger. They don't have 4 wheel drive in some cases. I'm sure they don't have the luxury quality. No adaptive air suspension. No dual charging ports with mechanical doors. No top notch MMI (lets not mention the mobile app eh?).

In 3 years time, when my lease renews, I likely won't have the chance to own such a high class vehicle as this, when the tax incentives today will be much reduced in future. So until then, I will recommend this car (the 50*) to anyone who is fortunate enough to be able to afford it and feel like a king driving it! I'm glad those other cars weren't around to rob me from experiencing this machine.

*Personally, the 55 is out of the question in terms of cost vs range ratio. I like the extra range but the handling feels heavier and the performance jump isn't all that significant (the 50 is plenty fast). I might go for a 2nd hand one in 3 years. Just my opinion ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
We've got a 55. The range is about 175-185 for my lead-footed wife who's the main driver. That's OK for her use case. The 50 wouldn't be, it would mean she'd be using public chargers during some working days. Not an option. So for her, the cost is irrelevant, the 50 is useless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We just went through this thought process, not that we came to the most logical conclusion, but we did go through our needs and what was out there for us. We were clearing 10 and 25 yr old vehicles out our garage knowing we wanted to join the Green Car Gang, but also wanted a fall back ICE in case of long distance family emergencies. We keep our cars Lo-o-o-ng term. So we bought a used Honda pick-up that is extremely comfy, utilitarian and gets about 27/mpg on the highway. Now, hauling firewood and emergencies taken care of, we were free to do our PHEV/EV thing. We didn't find any other car that had the interior dimensions, creature comfort and safety features. Great sale price via Costco program. Tax rebate effect was the same for purchase or lease. So - purchase or Lease? The 0% - 72 month financing...Or give it back at the end of the lease....Gorgeous car, automotive concupiscence...We bought it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
There you go, that was the right call for you. How big is your garage if you're clearing
loads of cars out of it... .???

:)

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
81 Posts
Model Y is spartan in comparison. For example, it doesn't even have an actual rain sensor. I cannot begin to explain how frustrating the auto wipers are. It's really not a comparable vehicle.
If you're looking for an ultra-performance crossover Y might fit the bill, but how many people truly want a 3.5 second 0-60 versus an SUV like the e-tron that has everything?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not all that big of a garage, GrahamS. Two garage spots and and a carport. Goodbye 2010 CR-V, and 40K miles '95 Eurovan poptop. And the one-owner 1960 bug stays and keeps the place of honor because our kids can't bear to let it go :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Also. I think you're either a Tesla fan, or you're not. If not, probably doesn't matter how good / cheap / stylish / fast / whatever the Tesla is, you won't buy one. Even with Supercharging.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not all that big of a garage, GrahamS. Two garage spots and and a carport. Goodbye 2010 CR-V, and 40K miles '95 Eurovan poptop. And the one-owner 1960 bug stays and keeps the place of honor because our kids can't bear to let it go :)
Oh yes keep the bug. Are you kidding? One owner 1960? Never ever ever sell it. Unless it's a Bond Bug. Then you should burn it.... :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts