Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After completing my drive to San Diego, during my final charge, I tried to initiate the climate control system, I got an error that it could not start. Went back to th car, it still had a few more minutes to go, so we decided to have a snack while we wait. Attempted to start it and got a message about the auxiliary system not being available. Not sure why, I’ve used it a number of times at home to cool the cabin before going to and when leaving work, comes in handy in 100+ temps in Arizona. It did work both times I charged the vehicle today. once we got on the road, the car started to get warm and I noticed the AC wasn’t selected. I pressed the button and nothing happened, it would not activate. Since it wasn’t too hot, I set the roof to tilt and opened a back window. Once we got checked in, I figured I would test again to see if it reset it self. No dice.

Anyone ever had this occur? I’m hoping it is just a blown fuse and they can get it fixed at a dealer out here before we have to go back. It’s going to be a long miserable drive if they can’t resolve it here. Also no warning on the vehicle or App, got a message about the washer fluid bring low that comes up from time to time but also not registered in the App.

Hoping someone here might have a quick remedy I can try.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Never encountered that. Maybe it will start back up after a full car shutdown. I was told by my dealer that you need to turn off the car and lock the doors for at least 30 minutes for the car to fully shut down. Beyond that, sounds like a Service visit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m hoping that is the case. Normally, I can get a listing for multiple trips during the day, but not sure how much time has to pass for the next trip to register. Today’s usage shows one instance, the car was off at least 30 minutes twice today. If it is still happening tomorrow, I’m taking it to a dealer out here. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't speak for the e-tron but I had very similar symptoms with my previous SQ5 which ended up having its compressor replaced. The cause was a stone that managed to pierce it.
I'm hoping with the fake grill the e-tron is less likely to have that issue but maybe ...?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the dealer put me in a loaner. Said the have the part but need to install it, was promised for tomorrow however, I had a notification about tire pressure, turns out that I have a slow leak due to an object in one of the tires, that is not fixable, so they have to order a new tire and that comes in on Monday. Went sightseeing and came back to the hotel, got a ‘Drive system: malfunction!’ error, along with the TPMS error. What is odd is that the car is not showing a GPS location. At the dealer while I was awaiting the diagnostic to be completed, the car showed that it was in the Jaguar shop, now it doesn’t show a location.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got a location, tried to do a remote start of the AC and it stated it was running. Seems like that got fixed. Will have to wait until Monday for the replacement tire. The Q3 they gave us has a lot of road noise and has a cramped cabin. I like the front seats wit their bolsters and leg extension (even though manual), would have liked these in the e-tron. It gets us around but it is annoying, it lurches for no reason (maybe AC compressor) when trying to park as as you are shifting gears. Have have a firm foot on the brake as it will move the car. Throttle response is meh, even in Dynamic mode, which is where I keep it, as it performs better than any other. Can’t wait to get my car back.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
So I got a location, tried to do a remote start of the AC and it stated it was running. Seems like that got fixed. Will have to wait until Monday for the replacement tire. The Q3 they gave us has a lot of road noise and has a cramped cabin. I like the front seats wit their bolsters and leg extension (even though manual), would have liked these in the e-tron. It gets us around but it is annoying, it lurches for no reason (maybe AC compressor) when trying to park as as you are shifting gears. Have have a firm foot on the brake as it will move the car. Throttle response is meh, even in Dynamic mode, which is where I keep it, as it performs better than any other. Can’t wait to get my car back.
Sorry you are having to deal with such primitive circumstances. I had a similar experience a few weeks ago with a loaner A4.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Q3 they gave us has a lot of road noise and has a cramped cabin. I like the front seats wit their bolsters and leg extension (even though manual), would have liked these in the e-tron.
I have never been in a Q3 so I am not sure how those seats work. But the E-tron does have a lot of adjustments you can make hidden in the seat menus through the MMI. The shortest way to get there is to activate the massage feature with the center button on the side. You can adjust the leg extension and the side bolsters. I tweaked my seat quite a bit when I got it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Q3 is a Premium Plus S-Line version with Sport seats, my Premium Plus doesn’t have the massage feature, that’s on the Prestige. I’ll agree I’m a bit spoiled by the e-tron however, most of the noise seems to be from the tires and underneath the vehicle. The windows don’t seem so bad but the noise was so high, I thought I was doing 80 or higher, when it just 50. My wife commented how our Optima hybrid was quieter, I can hit 80 in that car without even realizing it.

Back when the Stinger came out, I was planning on getting an A5. Ended up going with the Stinger, it was quieter, had the better engine and cost less. The S5 was even more costlier, spec for spec and the cabin noise was about the same. Had no mechanical or electrical issue with either (wrecked the 1st in a snowstorm) 2018 or 2019 GT2 AWD, that 3.3T was addicting and I wished they had made an EV version of it, with similar performance. While I really like the e-tron, all these issue people are experiencing, plus what I’ve been going through, is reminding me of my earlier experience with the brand and why I went away for almost 20 years. I also gave BMW a shot and the 535 M Sport I had a good experience with until the warranty was about to expire when all the issues started happening.

I’m doing my best to remain positive on this vehicle but sometimes I miss the Stinger. Not having to worry about issues occurring every couple of weeks and the car being in the shop from 5 days to a month, less than 6 months into the ownership, is a good thing. The Optima hybrid is going on 5 years and has been great, nothing but regular maintenance brings her to the dealer. This is the longest I’ve had any vehicle as I’m trading every 2 - 3 years. If this keep happening, I might have to leave Audi again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update

Got the car back earlier than promised, AC fixed and tire replaced. It’s so good to be back in a cocoon of quiet and smooth power. The fix. Apparently there was a sensor that went bad and to get to it they had to drain the AC system, replace it and refill it. The system tested fine, no errors and it is working as before. Went touring around San Diego, the stated range from when picked up to when I took it to charge, matches up with the miles driven. Now the return trip begins tomorrow, let’s hope all goes well.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Free solution for EA - put a roof with solar panels on them. Free energy and also coverage against the extreme sun ...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Free solution for EA - put a roof with solar panels on them. Free energy and also coverage against the extreme sun ...
I agree, some kind of canopy would be a great idea. It would also protect the chargers themselves. I noticed with some of them that the rubber sleeves were bleached from the sun and the screens were yellowing and getting brittle making them hard to read. Some protection from the sun would probably result in these chargers lasting longer in addition to shielding people from the elements.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, their design ignores reality. It reminds me of several of the Metro subway station entrances in DC....escalators wide open to the elements. I don't know how many repairs it took before someone realized they had a design problem. And for EA, it isn't just the sun. Try playing around with an HV DC charger in the pouring rain in Oregon!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All great points folks. I saw a photo of the chargers in Dateland that were in water after some rain. Now, I know that place is pretty much in the desert so prancing for rain my not have been a thing they thought about. With that being the only type of fast chargers for a long stretch, if you are traveling and those chargers are under water, you are stuck. The ones in El Centro are in a bad spot and one seem to always have an ICE vehicle parked in one of the spots. I wasn’t able to get a high capacity charge either on the outbound or inbound trip. I charged up enough to get me to Yuma as the chargers that worked was only charging at 38kW, it started over 100 but dropped. It was telling me it was over an hour needed to complete. The heat in these places are just crazy to not have a canopy (with solar to provide light) for night time charging.

I did see an article that more spots are coming in the next couple of years and I am hoping some more along the route 8 corridor will happen this year. I’m hoping Hyundai will invest in part of EA and get them to roll out the rest faster.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
Some spots do have some shading but these are few and far between. Bad design, IMO, and that should be revisited.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I totally agree. Roofs with solar and please put a trash bin at the EA site. I see where people clean out their cars whilst waiting to charge And no place to put it. So they just leave it. Even nicer. The shade would be great in Florida

1 - 20 of 29 Posts