Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron Quattro, Navarra Blue
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am aware that Audi repairs are not supposed to be cheap but our recent experience is nonetheless a bit shocking.
I was rear ended in a parking lot while shopping and the offending driver was thankfully responsible enough not to bolt and notified her insurance.
At a first glance the damage was minimal and not really visible from more than 30 ft away. A torn bumper and plastic side skirt and cracked rear light. The car was fully drivable without any error messages.

Her insurance (State Farm) was reasonable to deal with, although the whole process of estimating the visible damage, approving and identifying hidden damage with the body shop with additional estimates and approvals took some 8 weeks. Hidden damage was (supposedly) a broken lane assist sensor. Then ordering spare parts and getting installed another 3 weeks. Fortunately, the spare parts were available on rather short notice and did not have to be ordered from Germany.

Finally, the car was taken from the body shop to the local dealer for re-programming and calibration, another 2 weeks with frequent calls to keep things moving.

Total bill to the insurance was $8700. No wonder the insurance premiums are that high.

I took the "opportunity" (with rear end disassembled) to have a hitch receiver installed at the body shop, saving some labor. Nevertheless, the total bill for the hitch to me was $1770. Half of that was the Audi hardware, some minimal additional body shop labor but a big chunk was just programming the stupid computer at the dealership to handle a trailer.

I am not really griping but indeed shocked what car work has come to. Car looks like new, but now comes the hassle with State Farm to agree on diminished value compensation. Maybe I should just buy an old junker and not worry about this crap.

·
Registered
2022, 55 Etron SUV, Black Edition
66 Posts
A few years back my wife was driving our A6 down a narrow road and misjudged how much room she had on the passenger side of the car. She hit a parked car and the damage stretched from the passenger door to the rear quarter. Nothing too significant but the repair bill was eye watering! All claimed through insurance but still. My insurance company wanted to send the car to an authorised Audi repair shop, but they had a horrible reputation. I demanded it went to my local Audi dealer as they have a fantastic reputation. The car was flawless after the repair so maybe that’s why they were so expensive. Like you said though, it’s no wonder insurance premiums are at the level they are.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Edition One
1,342 Posts
I got the back panel dinged by the garbage truck (yes, I will never park again on Friday on the side of the road, ever) and a small dent fix was estimated close to 6k and 3 weeks at the shop to be "done right". Half of the back of the car gets dismantled, sensors will have to re-calibrated (God only knows why...) and as I am coming closer to the date when I need to drive the car in, I am less and less likely to go ahead with it. It is way too much money for such a small dent and I am not a fan of driving some rental for 3 weeks in a row.

·
Registered
2022 Audi e-tron Quattro, Navarra Blue
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I noticed after the repair: after charging to 80% target, the battery percentage actually showed 83% and 226 miles range. That used to be exactly 80% and 170-190 miles before the repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts