Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Brought home our new car a few days ago. Limping by with 110v charging till our electrician comes (it keeps stopping, which is annoying). What’s the best home-charge solution? Electrician recommend 50 Amp Nema 14-50 receptacle. Use this with the cables Audi provided or something else? Car is parked in a driveway, no cover, in Los Angeles.

edited to add: thank you for all the advice. I’ll be using the cable Audi provided. The outlet will be boxed, so safe from the elements. I looked into timed charging, and requirements with LADWP, together with cost doesn’t make sense for the amount we drive to do anything different. I have a small desire to keep cables in the frunk, but this will do for now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is mostly personal preference really. Some use the Audi EVSE. Others get a third-party one. I purchased a JuiceBox because it is networked so you can see what is happening and it collects fat about power usage. It also comes with a longer, thicker cable. So it does not get as warm and I can run it from the back of the garage all the way to the front. And it allows me to just keep the Audi one in the frunk just in case.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use a Charge Point Home Flex. It's similar to the JuiceBox that Tom mentioned, as both are networked. Using the timing feature of the Charge Point, I avoid having to use the car's built-in timer which can be a bit more problematic to use.

These networked units are particularly valuable if your utility give you time of day discounts. The networking feature allows the utility to see that you're actually use the charger at the times proper for discount.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I thought for outdoor installations the unit needed to be hardwired. Do you have a way of protecting the outlet and plug from the weather?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I thought for outdoor installations the unit needed to be hardwired. Do you have a way of protecting the outlet and plug from the weather?
Ah, didn’t see the requirement for outdoor installation. Mine is in an indoor garage with a plug in solution, but the same unit is available with a hardwired installation. I’m not sure if it’s weather sealed.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
ChargePoint Home Flex is another one
Have been using it for a while now and pretty happy with it. Apart from one botched firmware upgrade that was reverted within ~8hrs, it has been problem free so far.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Sportback Premium Plus
5 Posts
I have both a JuiceBox and the Audi standard charger (for two different vehicles). I see no benefit in paying for a third party charging system. Best of luck - I love my e-tron and my spouse loves her Q5 PHEV.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have both a JuiceBox and the Audi standard charger (for two different vehicles). I see no benefit in paying for a third party charging system. Best of luck - I love my e-tron and my spouse loves her Q5 PHEV.
The benefit is when your utility offers time of day discounts and requires you to have a WiFi charger to prove the time of day you’re charging your car. My utility even paid $500 toward the purchase of the charger.

That’s what’s known as a ‘no-brainer’. ;)

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Sportback Premium Plus
5 Posts
The benefit is when your utility offers time of day discounts and requires you to have a WiFi charger to prove the time of day you’re charging your car. My utility even paid $500 toward the purchase of the charger.

That’s what’s known as a ‘no-brainer’. ;)
Unfortunately, our utility doesn’t offer time of day discounts. So for me, it was a no brainer.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
So for me, it was a no brainer.
Everybody has unique conditions. What works for some, does not work for others. We already had this debate before, at least a few times, with one and the same conclusion - each person has unique conditions, unique drivers, and unique possibilities of doing things. I have a garage, some do not. I could pay for installation and equipment, some cannot or do not want to. I do not think there is a single universal answer in here as one soltution fits all. Otherwise, we'd be all living in the same kind of house, and drive the same kind of car. Smells like perfect system and equality for all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is a strong argument for redundancy, so I wouldn't rely solely on the Audi charger. Other than that, like others have said, there are many options. Personally I have a Juicebox that has worked flawlessly for two years used daily. It is plug-in though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brought home our new car a few days ago. Limping by with 110v charging till our electrician comes (it keeps stopping, which is annoying). What’s the best home-charge solution? Electrician recommend 50 Amp Nema 14-50 receptacle. Use this with the cables Audi provided or something else? Car is parked in a driveway, no cover, in Los Angeles.

edited to add: thank you for all the advice. I’ll be using the cable Audi provided. The outlet will be boxed, so safe from the elements. I looked into timed charging, and requirements with LADWP, together with cost doesn’t make sense for the amount we drive to do anything different. I have a small desire to keep cables in the frunk, but this will do for now.
We bought a ChargePoint 240 volt and installed in the garage. Love it!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
There is a strong argument for redundancy, so I wouldn't rely solely on the Audi charger. Other than that, like others have said, there are many options. Personally I have a Juicebox that has worked flawlessly for two years used daily. It is plug-in though.
If you live way in the boonies, I would say redundancy is a good thing. In my case, public Level 2 and Level 3 chargers are nearby if my home unit should give out (I am using the Audi compact charger). Unless you need some of the Wifi and other features that a retail charger provides, the Audi compact charger is quite reliable and gave me none of the "connection" glitches retail chargers occasionally inflicted on customers when setting up and using. 2.5 years of flawless execution (...and now I have jinxed myself!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts