Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I get more and more excited about this car, I get more and more apprehensive about dealing with the dealerships.
I know it is before the April 14th "official" unveiling, but they certainly had a lot of press recently aobut it, and I can't even get someone to call/email me back about whether they are going to have a contact list, much less a waitlist.
In general, I'm just dreading the whole dealership involvement. It honestly is the best aspect of buying a Tesla (and I'm interested to see where Volvo is going with their C40 as well).
Has anyone had any more luck? Anyone got a good contact at an Audi dealer? I'm not above shipping the car if it means I actually end up with one...

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
I am on the waiting list for Q4 locally when pre-orders open. I have my wife convinced now that we had a chance to drive eTron for some time that her Q5 can be a backup for both of us and we just switch full electric on primary cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am on the waiting list for Q4 locally when pre-orders open. I have my wife convinced now that we had a chance to drive eTron for some time that her Q5 can be a backup for both of us and we just switch full electric on primary cars.
Would you be willing to share your location/dealer?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
Denver, Flatirons. Not sure what they tell you when you call in. I know that Denver downtown dealership will also start taking preorders as soon as they have confirmation from Germany. For now it's a bit up in the air when that happens. With chipset shortage in place a lot can be delayed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with your dread of dealerships. My recent EV experience at four dealerships (Audi, VW, Jaguar and Chevy) was underwhelming. They are using "old" sales techniques and after just a few questions on an EV they are lost (2 of 4 had never driven any EV). This does not build confidence. Tesla's model is attractive

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
Oh the model on which you buy a car and then you're on your own is attractive? Color me shocked.
I have a few Tesla fans at work and it's as close to religion as one can get. I'm not signing up, thank you.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
232 Posts
I have had to take my current e-tron for something like 7 service visits which have required extensive research from me since they knew little about the car. At the test drives they knew nothing about the e-tron (e.g. charging, recuperation modes, boost, etc.) and very little about the standard MMI.

I checked out an ID.4 and the dealer actually knew quite a bit about the car, including the EV-specific parts.

All in all, only Tesla, Porsche, and VW knew about their electric products from my experience, so I share the same apprehension. If there were a way to bypass the dealer all-together, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
I personally like to have someone to call and go to in case of trouble. That was the reason why I did not end up with Polestar - there was no way to test drive it, and no local support chain. Any problems require a tow to the nearest certified workshop, which happens to be 3 states away from me. I do appreciate the fact that I can drop the car at the local dealership, get the rental for the duration of the fix, and move on with my life, not being stuck with useless car. Sorry, I do not buy into the whole Tesla model and their mobile "service" support system. All is good when it all works, but having local physical support infrastructure does help when you're in trouble.
Anyway, just a personal opinion, nothing more.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally like to have someone to call and go to in case of trouble. That was the reason why I did not end up with Polestar - there was no way to test drive it, and no local support chain. Any problems require a tow to the nearest certified workshop, which happens to be 3 states away from me. I do appreciate the fact that I can drop the car at the local dealership, get the rental for the duration of the fix, and move on with my life, not being stuck with useless car. Sorry, I do not buy into the whole Tesla model and their mobile "service" support system. All is good when it all works, but having local physical support infrastructure does help when you're in trouble.
Anyway, just a personal opinion, nothing more.
The "Tesla Model" I referred to was just about a straightforward purchasing process. Several auto makers are drifting towards it (online reservations, no haggle pricing, etc), but they all still (so far) rely on the dealers to actually finalize the pricing. Looking over on the ID4 forum, there are a lot of shenanigans going on.
It will be interesting to see if Volvo pulls off what they say they will with the C40 purchasing experience.
I agree that the Teslarati is a religion. It takes a lot to look at a car (after car) released with so many issues and manage to twist it into a "feature" (they'll just update it and fix it) rather than a bug. Never mind the seatbelts coming un-attached and the roofs flying off.
I never had to deal with the service department myself as the Teslas I drove were technically company cars. But I've not had a great time with my local Hyundai dealership dealing with the 4+ recalls on my car so far (lack of loaners, etc).

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
I spoke to local Volvo dealership and for now, they are a bit unknown as far as as XC40 platform is concerned.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke to local Volvo dealership and for now, they are a bit unknown as far as as XC40 platform is concerned.
Mine has an XC40 tester and seemed to give me pretty straighforward pricing. For the upcoming C40, Volvo has been talking about "online purchasing".

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
28 Posts
My best purchasing experiences have been with Audi and Volvo (Overseas Delivery Experience). I purchased a 2019 Audi Etron and my current 2021 Audi Etron from the comfort of my living room and delivered to my doorstep. The closest experience to this was purchasing the Tesla Model S P85. The difference was getting discounts off of MSRP with the Audi’s.

·
Registered
2021 Audi e-tron Prestige, Glacier White Metallic
28 Posts
As I get more and more excited about this car, I get more and more apprehensive about dealing with the dealerships.
I know it is before the April 14th "official" unveiling, but they certainly had a lot of press recently aobut it, and I can't even get someone to call/email me back about whether they are going to have a contact list, much less a waitlist.
In general, I'm just dreading the whole dealership involvement. It honestly is the best aspect of buying a Tesla (and I'm interested to see where Volvo is going with their C40 as well).
Has anyone had any more luck? Anyone got a good contact at an Audi dealer? I'm not above shipping the car if it means I actually end up with one...
Audi North Park, ask for Camden Steele (Sales Director), 210-960-6000. They typically have a decent selection of e-trons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just reached out to my local Audi Dealer west of Boston, MA. What I was told is that they think that right now the Q4 will be at their dealer this November and they will most like have (8) Q4s in the first delivery. None of them which will be customer spec'd. Sounds like Audi will send them a pre-determined builds first and later what the dealer wants.

I hope this is not the case. I can picture very plain color/interior specs (to match everything that is currently on the roads in the US) and highest trim version coming to the dealer first. Nothing that I would be really interested in.

Was really hoping they where going to do similar to what VW has done with the ID.3 and ID.4 on being able to pre-order on their website. I guess in a week we will know more information.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
308 Posts
It is most likely these will be demo vehicles (mobility), similar to what was done with first batch of eTrons. These will end up with customers down the road for resale, and should be loaded, but color-wise, likely more bland.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I looked into the XC40 Recharge (right around when the demo unit showed up), my local dealer had 8 on order -- all preconfigured. One was spoken for, but the others weren't. The salesman was able to give me the dates by which the configurations had to be locked, and up until then they would've changed them if I had wanted to buy one.
Hopefully a similar situation. Once the car is officially launched, hopefully the dealerships will let us update the configurations (since its not like the cars have actually been built yet).

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I looked into the XC40 Recharge (right around when the demo unit showed up), my local dealer had 8 on order -- all preconfigured. One was spoken for, but the others weren't. The salesman was able to give me the dates by which the configurations had to be locked, and up until then they would've changed them if I had wanted to buy one.
Hopefully a similar situation. Once the car is officially launched, hopefully the dealerships will let us update the configurations (since its not like the cars have actually been built yet).
My local dealer did say he will share with me their order guide once they get it.

I have actually never been to this Audi dealership before hand. Maybe it is worth my time after April 14th and the price and specs of the Q4 look good to pay them a visit.

Hopefully they will be willing to custom order one with my requirements.

My biggest thing is regen paddles are a must, would like to have the sports suspension (hopefully available) and interior/exterior colors not like everyone else. They look to be having some interesting material and color options on the inside (see below video around 7:11 mark).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My local dealer did say he will share with me their order guide once they get it.

I have actually never been to this Audi dealership before hand. Maybe it is worth my time after April 14th and the price and specs of the Q4 look good to pay them a visit.

Hopefully they will be willing to custom order one with my requirements.

My biggest thing is regen paddles are a must, would like to have the sports suspension (hopefully available) and interior/exterior colors not like everyone else. They look to be having some interesting material and color options on the inside (see below video around 7:11 mark).

I never use the regen paddles in my Kona EV. Maybe I should try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My e-Golf has drive, 3-regen modes and brake. All 5 modes are done on the traditional shifter found in the car. Which I believe the Q4 will have on their paddle shifter set-up (minus brake mode). I live on a small hill and use it all the time to slow down. As well as taking a left or right going back up the hill. Closer to work there are bigger hills that I also use that function.

Normally I leave the car in drive. Prefer to cost as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts