Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my GT to a local dealership in SoCal for a number of minor rattle issues I was hearing in the doors. It was there for about 2 weeks (Ended up being loose window regulator rivets, but that's a story for another time) and was told it was all done and ready to get picked up. About 10 minutes later, I received a phone call from my service advisor that there was a "scratch" on the bumper that was not there when I dropped it off. (I should also say my car is fully wrapped, so I was initially ok with it because I was hopeful the scratch was just in the wrap). When I asked the service advisor to elaborate on how bad the scratch was, he sent me these pics...

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Grille
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Grille

I responded saying, that's not a scratch, someone clearly CRASHED my car... He did respond that "someone was definitely getting fired," but truthfully, I care less about someone getting fired than I do about the fact that my relatively new car now needs extensive body work (Per the service manager, a new bumper skin, new paint, then replacing the wrap). I have never heard of anything like this happening, although I am sure it does happen from time to time. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I am mostly just heartbroken, but curious if anyone has had any similar experiences and how the dealership handled it.

And also side note, BMO2400, my car was apparently the car twin you saw in the dealership drop off lane, and your pic was also apparently post the accident...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I recently took my GT to a local dealership in SoCal for a number of minor rattle issues I was hearing in the doors. It was there for about 2 weeks (Ended up being loose window regulator rivets, but that's a story for another time) and was told it was all done and ready to get picked up. About 10 minutes later, I received a phone call from my service advisor that there was a "scratch" on the bumper that was not there when I dropped it off. (I should also say my car is fully wrapped, so I was initially ok with it because I was hopeful the scratch was just in the wrap). When I asked the service advisor to elaborate on how bad the scratch was, he sent me these pics...

View attachment 7372 View attachment 7373

I responded saying, that's not a scratch, someone clearly CRASHED my car... He did respond that "someone was definitely getting fired," but truthfully, I care less about someone getting fired than I do about the fact that my relatively new car now needs extensive body work (Per the service manager, a new bumper skin, new paint, then replacing the wrap). I have never heard of anything like this happening, although I am sure it does happen from time to time. Anyone had anything similar happen to them? I am mostly just heartbroken, but curious if anyone has had any similar experiences and how the dealership handled it.

And also side note, BMO2400, my car was apparently the car twin you saw in the dealership drop off lane, and your pic was also apparently post the accident...
Sorry about your experience. I know it especially hurts when it's such a beautiful car. It reminds me of the time that my wife bought a used car & immediately took it to a dealer to have it thoroughly checked out & the mechanic took it for a test drive and totaled it. The dealer (Galpin) gave her a "cost minus" deal on a new one (their cost minus the few thousand she had spent on the used car), along with their cost on a car for me as well.

I'll be getting my GT serviced at a SoCal dealer...mind sharing which one "took care" of yours?

·
Registered
2022 Etron GT Prestige
11 Posts
Never had mine damaged that badly, but I did have my brand new S8 come home with huge paint chips missing all over from the front fender and bumper. It looked like it had been sandblasted. Dealer initially tried to say it wasn’t them even though I called within 45 min of getting the car home, but fortunately I had the car towed to the dealership, and they took photos at pickup and drop off and it wasn’t there. Then the dealership said they reviewed footage of the garage during the work and “took note of what happened.” They fixed the car and repainted the whole front. The annoying part was that it took over a week so between that and the work done originally I was without my car for 3 weeks for something simple. I never did get an answer as to what someone did, but I was always put out by the fact that they accused me initially. Fortunately we have two Audi dealerships in my city, so I’ve since transferred

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar experience once, resulting in a big dent in the rocker panel from a lift arm getting swung around. Dealer refused to do anything about it.

FWIW, in this case I think the dealer should offer the guilty person the option of paying for damages rather than firing them. Can't help wondering if what he/she ran into was another expensive car?

·
Registered
22 GT
108 Posts
Many years ago, we bought a new LX470. Went to pick it up and the DS mirror was broken. Dealer had it replaced within a couple of days. No big deal.

The OP with the wrap is going to facing a longer wait, for sure.

Unless the employee in question is a habitual Eff Up, they're not getting fired. No way, no how. These things happen. It's all baked into the cost of doing business.

·
Registered
2022 RS e-tron GT
35 Posts

View attachment 7372 View attachment 7373

I had a similar experience with a SoCal dealership. My car was dropped off with an Audi authorized body shop to replace front bumper (I ran over something on the freeway). After bumper was replaced, body shop shipped the car to Audi dealership in order to calibrate front camera/sensors. While it was there, they damaged my back bumper. Body shop took ownership of the issue and replaced my back bumper at no cost (they worked it out with dealer). Overall, I was without a car for over 5 weeks. Since I was replacing both bumpers, I had to deal again with DMV in Sacramento and get new HOV decals (took about 6 weeks to get those).

·
Registered
22 GT
108 Posts
OP also needs to determine if this incident will be hitting the Carfax report. If so, and you own the vehicle, then you're going to want to pursue money for diminished value, assuming it's an option in your state.

·
Registered
E-tron GT. My third EV. My first: a 2014 i8. My second a 2019 E-tron. Also drive a 2020 AMG GT roads
63 Posts
Several years ago I brought my BMW M6 convertible to my local dealer for a service. I had a couple of very minor scratches and I asked that they be touched up after the car was serviced. (The dealer offered a touch up service.)

When I came to pick up the car, the service and touch ups were done. But there was a three foot long, half inch wide scratch in the hood -- which had also been touched up but because of its size was not only noticeable, but utterly irreparable without a repaint.

I complained to my service rep and then to the service manager. Their position was that it was a pre-existing scratch that they touched up, so why was I complaining. I was pretty angry, but I got out the walk through paperwork and showed them no scratch was noted on the hood and that they needed to stop lying. I told them if they didn't agree to get the car fixed immediately and at their cost they would lose a customer who also happened to be a trial lawyer.

They fixed the damage but I never trusted them after that. And BMWs have become so ugly that I am no longer am interested in the brand. (My other car is a 2020 Mercedes GT roadster and I also almost bought a EQS 580 before settling on the etron GT.)

·
Registered
186 Posts
So I was actually leaving when I saw a bunch of the FJ service people walk over to your car as I guess someone there just noticed it. I then heard them debating if that was already there or not

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I was actually leaving when I saw a bunch of the FJ service people walk over to your car as I guess someone there just noticed it. I then heard them debating if that was already there or not
I was already pretty upset, I can only imagine how much more mad I would have been if they tried to play it off that it was there already... Some of these stories are pretty bad, I had a Jaguar previously and they had trouble fixing things the first time, but they definitely never scratched or crashed it. This is my first Audi and I was less than thrilled about seeing the extent of the damage, especially because it is only 6 months old and without a scratch before this. Now I have no idea when I might get it back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts