Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Would love to hear this as well
Audi has one for etron, but it is $699, I think
And also I read that it takes an insane amount of dealership labor to install
So if anyone installed a third party one easily and successfully, would be interesting to hear

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, that’s single channel too? A Street Guardian or Blackview would be far superior at half the cost.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes I have experience looking into both! The Audi cam can be found online for $500-600 but installation at Audi dealer is over $1000, bringing your total to around $1600. I resorted to buying BlackVue 750-LTE (2 channel - has built antenna for Ite data transmission. Useful for parking mode real-time notifications). Install cost at a nearby non-Audi shop was $300 and I paid another $250 for BlackVue magic battery. Do note that the front cam unit is a bit thick being it has an lte antenna built in. Haven’t had it long enough to say how great the unit works but BlackVue is known to make good premium dash cams

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes I have experience looking into both! The Audi cam can be found online for $500-600 but installation at Audi dealer is over $1000, bringing your total to around $1600. I resorted to buying BlackVue 750-LTE (2 channel - has built antenna for Ite data transmission. Useful for parking mode real-time notifications). Install cost at a nearby non-Audi shop was $300 and I paid another $250 for BlackVue magic battery. Do note that the front cam unit is a bit thick being it has an lte antenna built in. Haven’t had it long enough to say how great the unit works but BlackVue is known to make good premium dash cams
Thanks for the info!
Where did they place the battery in the car?
Did they do the installation well, i.e., is the car still as quiet?
Where did they plug the system in for power?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info!
Where did they place the battery in the car?
Did they do the installation well, i.e., is the car still as quiet?
Where did they plug the system in for power?
they placed the battery right next to the fuse box (deep in the passenger footwell). Note the magic battery I bought thru them is the older model (smaller battery capacity but also smaller in size). They said if it was the newer model, it wouldn’t have fit there. No noise, still as quiet as before. Clean professional install, don’t see any wires. Not exactly sure if the dash cam draws power directly from car when the car is running or if power gets passed thru the battery but it’s either one of those. I know the battery is connected to the car fuse box and recharges when car is running. Then the battery supplies power to the cam when car is off. I have the cam set to only record when it detects movement so it isn’t on continuous recording mode

·
Registered
31 Posts
they placed the battery right next to the fuse box (deep in the passenger footwell). Note the magic battery I bought thru them is the older model (smaller battery capacity but also smaller in size). They said if it was the newer model, it wouldn’t have fit there. No noise, still as quiet as before. Clean professional install, don’t see any wires. Not exactly sure if the dash cam draws power directly from car when the car is running or if power gets passed thru the battery but it’s either one of those. I know the battery is connected to the car fuse box and recharges when car is running. Then the battery supplies power to the cam when car is off. I have the cam set to only record when it detects movement so it isn’t on continuous recording mode
How did you find the shop that installed your camera system?
Did they have experience with E-Trons before?

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did you find the shop that installed your camera system?
Did they have experience with E-Trons before?
I first called my nearest Audi dealership and asked if they do aftermarket dash cam installs. They said they don’t but referred me to this place where they said they refer all their Audi customers for similar installs. When I checked them out online, they are a type of enthusiast car shop (think “East coast customs”, shops that feature on “pimp my ride” back in the day). They had never seen an Audi etron but had done many dash cam installs on many Audi SUV’s - q5/q7/q8. I was initially a little hesitant being it is a fully electric Audi and maybe the internals are quite different than those models but they didn’t have any issues with the install and were done under 2 hours

·
Registered
31 Posts
I first called my nearest Audi dealership and asked if they do aftermarket dash cam installs. They said they don’t but referred me to this place where they said they refer all their Audi customers for similar installs. When I checked them out online, they are a type of enthusiast car shop (think “East coast customs”, shops that feature on “pimp my ride” back in the day). They had never seen an Audi etron but had done many dash cam installs on many Audi SUV’s - q5/q7/q8. I was initially a little hesitant being it is a fully electric Audi and maybe the internals are quite different than those models but they didn’t have any issues with the install and were done under 2 hours
What is the name of the shop, if you don't mind my asking?

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is the name of the shop, if you don't mind my asking?
It seems it ain't too far from you but you would have to cross the state border into NJ. This is their website - Extreme Motorsports | EMS | NJ

they carry the blackvue 900-2ch but dont yet carry the blackvue 750-lte (purchased at blackboxmycar separately); if you end up using them, tell them you were referred by the first black etron they installed for (a couple weeks back). good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts