Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

With Apple announcing the upgrade to their streaming service next month, does anyone know if we can take advantage in our E-trons? I'm pretty sure it'll be a no to the hi-Res 24/192 over wireless carplay, but I'm hoping that using a USB port, the cars DAC can support this, particularly the B&O system. With wireless carplay supporting the lower resolution music.

Let's not bother discussing whether you can hear a difference or not, that's been covered before exhaustively on many other forums.

Thanks
Jay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

With Apple announcing the upgrade to their streaming service next month, does anyone know if we can take advantage in our E-trons? I'm pretty sure it'll be a no to the hi-Res 24/192 over wireless carplay, but I'm hoping that using a USB port, the cars DAC can support this, particularly the B&O system. With wireless carplay supporting the lower resolution music.

Let's not bother discussing whether you can hear a difference or not, that's been covered before exhaustively on many other forums.

Thanks
Jay.
Hi,

Thanks
Jay.
The minute you go wireless the hi-def/lossless stuff goes out the window

·
Registered
16 Posts
The minute you go wireless the hi-def/lossless stuff goes out the window
That's true for bluetooth due to bandwidth.

However, wireless CarPlay only uses bluetooth for the initial connection but then operates over a private wi-fi network. So the bandwidth is there, but it's the matter if Apple or the automakers implement the hardware capability that is the question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that B&O only go up to 24 bit / 48 kHz, even with their high end home audio products. This also seems to be the limit of Airplay 2, although I’m not sure if CarPlay uses that. That’s better than CD quality so I’d be happy with that.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can shed some light.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It seems that B&O only go up to 24 bit / 48 kHz, even with their high end home audio products.
That’s the thing, this really isn’t a B&O product in that context.

B&O is really just one of the many “brands” owned Harman International which is a global supplier of auto entertainment systems. They supply radios to multiple auto companies and can apply whatever branding and quality of components (speakers, amps, etc) is desired based on their common architecture. So it’s really a question of what Harman’s architecture on this platform can support.

It would not surprise me in the least if this is simply a matter of both Apple and Harman getting on the same page with software support not just for this car, but the millions that Harman supplies across the auto industry every year.

It would also not surprise me if the hardware support for lossless is not there (yet) and this will be one of those exciting features that is touted in future model years. (Example: iOS 17 CarPlay now supports lossless audio on select 2025 models from these manufacturers…)

And just for a twist, Samsung now owns Harman so maybe it will never happen with CarPlay.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Getting lossless audio in a car pretty much only makes sense (maybe) for an EV, and for only some of the EV's at that. For the rest, the advantage would be lost in ambient noise. That is a very small market....I don't see audio suppliers stumbling over each other to quickly cater to that tiny market. The software is straightforward. It's in the DAC where things start to get pricey.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Audi uses the Automotive Audio Bus (A2B) for communication between the MMI and amplifier, and in theory that has enough bitrate to support lossless audio.

The manual lists FLAC and ALAC support from USB drives, up to 48kHz. I doubt it'll do 24 bits. And I doubt CarPlay would do anything significantly better either. The best you can do is give it a blind listen if you can, and see if you can hear a difference.

(MIB3, MIB2 shouldn't be too different.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My comment in post number 4 was mostly related to this What HiFi Audi B&O

"What about hi-res audio? Does it have a place on four wheels? Jähn points out the system can handle a wide range of audio formats and bitrates, but anything over 24-bit/48kHz is downsampled."

Whether they use the same setup in the E-tron, I don't know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It seems that B&O only go up to 24 bit / 48 kHz, even with their high end home audio products. This also seems to be the limit of Airplay 2, although I’m not sure if CarPlay uses that. That’s better than CD quality so I’d be happy with that.
Hopefully someone with more knowledge can shed some light.
While the manual states that it support lossless (FLAC) only up to 48 kHz sampling rate my e-tron plays 96 kHz FLAC just fine, playing from a USB-C memory stick. I‘ve got a MY 2021 e-tron (MIB 3). I have not tried 192 kHz FLAC yet. The B&O sounds much better with lossless, as expected.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
While the manual states that it support lossless (FLAC) only up to 48 kHz sampling rate my e-tron plays 96 kHz FLAC just fine, playing from a USB-C memory stick. I‘ve got a MY 2021 e-tron (MIB 3). I have not tried 192 kHz FLAC yet. The B&O sounds much better with lossless, as expected.
Are you sure it isn't just being rezzed down from 96 to 48?

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, I am not sure. Only Audi would know. But at least it plays and it is lossless. I have a lot of music in 96 kHz and the fact that it plays means that I don‘t need to resample them myself.
In any case using lossless with the B&O sounds much better than any MP3 or AAC. This is especially true if you have the DSP features enabled (i.e 3D sound) which can‘t work good with already compressed music.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No, I am not sure. Only Audi would know. But at least it plays and it is lossless. I have a lot of music in 96 kHz and the fact that it plays means that I don‘t need to resample them myself.
In any case using lossless with the B&O sounds much better than any MP3 or AAC. This is especially true if you have the DSP features enabled (i.e 3D sound) which can‘t work good with already compressed music.
Agreed. The E Tron is the first car I've had that is quiet enough in the cabin, that makes it worht even considering such resolution .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts