Audi e-tron Forum banner

AR Heads up display & CarPlay-based navigation: Do they talk?

10K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Evforumsurf 
#1 ·
When using CarPlay with Apple Maps, do the turn cues and such show in the AR HUD? What about the virtual cockpit?

How about Waze?

#4 · (Edited)
CarPlay second screen with:

HUD: No
Virtual Cockpit / Instrument Cluster: Maybe, as it is supported on some other VAG models.

I don’t know if it would require the Virtual Cockpit Plus which has more screen area available on the instrument cluster display, but if you have the HUD it typically comes in the Technology Pack alongside Virtual Cockpit Plus.

Which apps support CarPlay’s second screen feature is app dependent not vehicle dependent:
Apple Maps: Yes
ABRP: No, not at this time.
TomTom: No, not at this time.
Google Maps: Maybe, they didn’t initially but it may have been updated to support it.
Waze: Maybe, as with Google Maps it didn’t initially but may have been updated to support it.

Apologies for the maybes, but I’m yet to receive my Q4 to be able to test it.

#5 ·
If I understand this correctly you are saying that when using Apple Car Play on the Q4 you can have Apple Music shown in the central console (MMI) and Apple Maps (map + indications) in the virtual cockpit?

If that’s the case, it would be great. Even though I’d rather have Google Maps (through car play, not the Audi standard one) showing in the virtual cockpit rather than Apple Maps.

PS: I know you can have Google Earth in the virtual cockpit, but I prefer to use the app on my phone (faster to type, I can set the route before leaving the house, I have all my favorites in there, etc)

#12 ·
Up until recently, Apple restricted CarPlay to the main display only, so manufacturers couldn‘t integrate. Not sure whether it’s already changed or whether it’s in the next iOS but it now allows multiple displays. Like anything else though we wait on Audi to integrate this into the vehicle software, but it’ll no doubt be a long and bumpy ride. Wouldn’t be holding my breath on this unfortunately.

#15 ·
I'm not sure the problem is (only) Apple.
The HUD is a special display situation, that needs much higher contrast than the center console to read clearly.
(This is why the HUD is mainly symbolic, bright white / green / red, and the fancy built-in "3D" maps don't read that well in the HUD compared to the line art.)
The default map displays for CarPlay and Android Auto aren't well suited for that kind of projection.

#16 ·
Well, the intention wouldn't be to directly display carplay maps on the HUD, but rather to grab the upcoming turn nav cues and data to be able to populate the AR arrows and turn cues and display them just as if you were using the car's built-in nav.

I haven't looked at the API documentation for carplay like this but hoping it's possible and it happens, but not going to hold my breath.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.