Votes: 11 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 52.2%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi CEO Markus Duesmann predicts that future EVs will have less range mainly due charging infrastructure becoming denser. Within that, its automakers making battery sizes smaller so EVs can become smaller, lighter and cheaper -- currently they are "unnecessarily heavy, expensive, and big."

·
Registered
467 Posts
My hope for Audi was that they would start with a well-built car and gradually improve the miles. When traveling, even if there are many more charging stations in the future, charging times really add to the total travel time. I agree that nobody really needs a 500mi battery, but for me the 204 EPA rated mileage for my 2019 was "just enough"!

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
33 Posts
Less than what? 200 miles? Something else?

For what use pattern?

Basically No... but also Yes, depending on details.

Reactions: Chrisechild

·
Registered
56 Posts
My normal long distance trip has a 122 mile gap between nearest stations followed by the next viable one another 50 miles. With an effective range of 160 miles on a good day I would say no. Have come close to replacing the e-tron a couple times over that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think this just goes to show how far Audi has to go to catch up to Tesla
CEO is still in denial
Low range is unacceptable for longer trips - no matter how fast the charging station is, you still have to detour to get to it, then charge, then get back - it adds up really quickly, from my own experience

also, I don’t like leaving the house without some emergency charge reserve (say 80 miles), which leaves me with effective distance between charges of about 90 miles in winter

Charging frequently erodes your battery

Only thing that allows Audi to hang there in EV space is Tesla’s atrocious quality
I hope Audi CEO wakes up before it is too late, or they find another one

Minilally acceptable range is 300 miles EPA, IMHO

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
149 Posts
As of now, no. In a few years yes.

My 50 will travel as far as I can go before I need a rest. What is currently a pain is the lack of 100kW+ chargers in the north of England+Scotland (most of my long journeys are from my location nr Leeds, travelling to Newcastle, Northumberland or Scotland).

Having to charge from 10%-80% on the current plethora of 50kW chargers is a bind, timewise. 45 minutes or so to get a decent range to the next charger or destination.

But when 100kW+ chargers become the norm then those top ups become much more acceptable at maybe 15-20mins.

I fully support the notion that EV batteries are too big and heavy. I feel that until a more energy dense, lighter substitute arrives it's the charge network that is limiting us.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
149 Posts
I don’t like leaving the house without some emergency charge reserve (say 80 miles), which leaves me with effective distance between charges of about 90 miles in winter
Wow that's a sizeable emergency buffer. Is that due to the scarcity of chargers in your area?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow that's a sizeable emergency buffer. Is that due to the scarcity of chargers in your area?
No, more like dire circumstances
Such as needing to go to emergency room for whatever reason (I have 3 kids and you never know :) ), or getting the into an accident and having to wait in the car
Or just having to go somewhere far unexpectedly
And yes, in big cities it is almost impossible to charge quickly

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting to see we have a 50/50 split here so far.

To anyone that voted no, would an increase of charging stations push you more towards changing your vote to yes?

·
Registered
58 Posts
No
Interesting to see we have a 50/50 split here so far.

To anyone that voted no, would an increase of charging stations push you more towards changing your vote to yes?
Not for me, I feel basic acceptable range requirements should be met regardless of the charging infrastructure state
See my explanation above

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
33 Posts
No... and yes.

Depends on use case.

I think that there are solid reasons why there should be a range of battery sizes.

Personally, with my use cases, I'd rather have a bit more stored energy. Not for more range in normal cases. For more range with a trailer.

Reactions: azlkk

·
Registered
36 Posts
When we bought our 2019 eTron 55, the range limitation did not bother me. We have a back up good mileage ICE for longer trips. But we fell in love with the eTron, and now crave an extended road trip to use all of its advantages for long drives. We are keeping our 2019 eTron for as long as it holds up - so can only wish for better charging stations in the future. I will gladly take a break every three hours or so to recharge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts