Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
E-tron 50 S Line, Daytona Grey
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm having issues with the app when trying to start the auxiliary air conditioning (not a programmed start, an instant start). Essentially, it's like the car is asleep and wont respond. The only way to make it respond is to unlock it, start the air con from the app, which works 9 out of 10 times, then lock it again and let it warm up. I cant help thinking that this kind of foils the point? Surely I shoudl be able to start this from anywhere in the world without havign to lock/unlock? With my BMW hybrid I could do this so when I knew I was 15 min away, I coudl use the app to warm the car up and it worked every time.....I didn't have to "wake the car up" first. Is anyone else havign the same issue or do you know what I'm doing wrong......I think it must be me because tech focused Audi would surely have made this work?
Thanks.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Here in the US, when I use the Instant start through the app, it can take a minute or more before the little circle stops spinning and the info bar pops up telling me the Conditioning has started. What happens when you try? I park in a garage, so the car is generally unlocked when I do it, but I don't have to do anything to "wake the car up". Do your other remote feature via your MyAudi app work OK when parked in the same spot? The app works by communicating with your phones cellular data or wifi (eg, home hotspot) to connect with the Audi Servers. Then the Servers communicate with the car via the car's basic wireless data service. If either the phone-to-server or the server-to-phone links are weak, there could be communication problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here in the US, when I use the Instant start through the app, it can take a minute or more before the little circle stops spinning and the info bar pops up telling me the Conditioning has started. What happens when you try? I park in a garage, so the car is generally unlocked when I do it, but I don't have to do anything to "wake the car up". Do your other remote feature via your MyAudi app work OK when parked in the same spot? The app works by communicating with your phones cellular data or wifi (eg, home hotspot) to connect with the Audi Servers. Then the Servers communicate with the car via the car's basic wireless data service. If either the phone-to-server or the server-to-phone links are weak, there could be communication problems.
Thanks for your thoughts. When the car is locked I get the spinning circle and then an error message saying the car can’t be reached. I then unlock the car and it works....hence my thought about “waking the car up”? At this point I’m in the house next to a window with a clear line of sight to the car, which is 15-20ft away.

I’ll try some other functions tomorrow as suggested - good thought.

Might be related......I’ve noticed that when in the car with my phone connected to the car WiFi that it’s rubbish. When pulled over and I try WhatsApp or email, nothing works (can’t send a message, email doesn’t download). So I disconnect the WiFi and switch to 4G and those things work perfectly. Not sure if this is connected to the auxiliary air conditioning problem.

Maybe the answer is to reset everything?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Having a clear line of site really would not matter, since your phone is connecting to the Audi cloud. Using MyAudi app, the phone never connects directly to the car. Of course, when using the car's Hotspot, you are connecting your phone to the car's router. Do you know who is the Service provider for you Audi Hotspot? Does that provider have good signal strength in your area?

I'm in the US and have a 2019 model that uses AT&T. It's tough to draw parallels in our cases, but I had major connection issues with the car for several months early in ownership until the car got a software update. When trying to use the Audi hotspot, my phone would connect to the service, but give me a "Connected Without Internet" alert. This means that while my phone successfully connected to the car's router, the car's modem did not have a quality connection to the internet that the phone could access. After multiple attempts, I could finally get it to connect. Also, before that update, the MyAudi app would frequently fail to get charging, etc, info updates. After the software update, everything started working MUCH, MUCH better. I'm guessing your problem is with the cars modem/service system that is preventing it from reliable connecting to the Audi cloud.

I don't know if rebooting the MMI might clear up some modem issue. In my car, to reboot, with the car on, I press and hold the Volume knob for at least 10 sec until the MMI screen goes dark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having a clear line of site really would not matter, since your phone is connecting to the Audi cloud. Using MyAudi app, the phone never connects directly to the car. Of course, when using the car's Hotspot, you are connecting your phone to the car's router. Do you know who is the Service provider for you Audi Hotspot? Does that provider have good signal strength in your area?

I'm in the US and have a 2019 model that uses AT&T. It's tough to draw parallels in our cases, but I had major connection issues with the car for several months early in ownership until the car got a software update. When trying to use the Audi hotspot, my phone would connect to the service, but give me a "Connected Without Internet" alert. This means that while my phone successfully connected to the car's router, the car's modem did not have a quality connection to the internet that the phone could access. After multiple attempts, I could finally get it to connect. Also, before that update, the MyAudi app would frequently fail to get charging, etc, info updates. After the software update, everything started working MUCH, MUCH better. I'm guessing your problem is with the cars modem/service system that is preventing it from reliable connecting to the Audi cloud.

I don't know if rebooting the MMI might clear up some modem issue. In my car, to reboot, with the car on, I press and hold the Volume knob for at least 10 sec until the MMI screen goes dark.
I'll give the reboot a shot and see what progress (if any) it makes. Just frustrating to have a car that claims to offer these functions, but they dont work well at all (if ever). Failing the reboot, I guess its time to contact Audi!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. When the car is locked I get the spinning circle and then an error message saying the car can’t be reached. I then unlock the car and it works....hence my thought about “waking the car up”? At this point I’m in the house next to a window with a clear line of sight to the car, which is 15-20ft away.

I’ll try some other functions tomorrow as suggested - good thought.

Might be related......I’ve noticed that when in the car with my phone connected to the car WiFi that it’s rubbish. When pulled over and I try WhatsApp or email, nothing works (can’t send a message, email doesn’t download). So I disconnect the WiFi and switch to 4G and those things work perfectly. Not sure if this is connected to the auxiliary air conditioning problem.

Maybe the answer is to reset everything?
Hi,

I had a similar issue and there was a software update for this as it was a known Audi issue on certain e-tron models. I find that if you set the timer for pre-con before you leave the vehicle, then the car will wake up an hour before this time and this enables you to update the vehicles status via the app.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I had a similar issue and there was a software update for this as it was a known Audi issue on certain e-tron models. I find that if you set the timer for pre-con before you leave the vehicle, then the car will wake up an hour before this time and this enables you to update the vehicles status via the app.
thanks. Did you get a specific software update? If you did, how did you get this? Cheers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

thanks. Did you get a specific software update? If you did, how did you get this

·
Registered
471 Posts
Hi,

But you shouldn't have to do this. I can just turn off my car, go into the house, and use the MyAudi app to check status, start up reconditioning, etc., at any time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts