Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all -

Had my 2021 Audi e-tron for ~6 weeks now. For the first time starting last night, my home charger (the charger that is supplied by Audi) connected to a 40-amp NEMA 14-50 plug Is tripping the circuit breaker. It charges ~6% or about 45 minutes and then it trips. I do not get notification on my Audi app that charging has stopped. I check charging status and that is when I see the app telling me it is not charging - i.e. not connected to wall charger at all. I check the main box and see that the circuit breaker has tripped. It did it three times last night, where it went from 40% charge and I got it up to 60% charge (where it tripped the circuit breaker three times), and then I unplugged it. I plugged in this morning and the problem is repeating itself.

On the first day after the big Audi backend update that just finished, my wife told me the car was acting strangely. I was not with her, so relaying what she remembers happening. At the end of the work day, after the car had been parked in the work parking garage, she went to start it and the car would not go in to reverse - it would not go out of park. She said it gave her some kind of error message about lane departure warning. She turned off the car and restarted, and it still gave the same problem and error message. So she re-started again, but this time pressed the button on the side of the stalk and turned off the lane departure warning and the car then went into reverse and she could pull out.

I have contacted the electrician who did the install and am waiting to hear back. Also sent an email to my salesman/car dealer and waiting to hear back.

Any suggestions or insight would help. Thanks!!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your best bet is to do as you did, call the electrician. As far as oddities with the car itself, nothing they did on the backend of the website or app should have any impact on the car itself.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes, an electrician is the best route. No need to burn your house down. For the Audi 40A charger, the house circuit you use needs to be rated for 50A (since the charger is in "continuous use mode"). Do you know if your circuit is rated for at least 50?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The electrician is coming Wednesday afternoon to check. He originally installed a 40-amp breaker. The wire was I think 6 gauge wire. Originally the plan was to install a 50-amp breaker (with the appropriate compatible copper wire), but there weren't any available so he installed a 40 amp and the original planned wire.

Should I ask him to install a 50-amp breaker? The price is only like $30 for the breaker so mind paying for it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

The electrician is coming Wednesday afternoon to check. He originally installed a 40-amp breaker. The wire was I think 6 gauge wire. Originally the plan was to install a 50-amp breaker (with the appropriate compatible copper wire), but there weren't any available so he installed a 40 amp and the original planned wire.

Should I ask him to install a 50-amp breaker? The price is only like $30 for the breaker so mind paying for it.
LOL. You have exactly the same set up that I have. Mine was installed Dec 2020 and so far have not had a problem with my 40A breaker tripping. It may just be that my specific breaker has a higher tolerance. If yours has tripped once, It is likely it will trip again. You might save yourself a little in electrician costs by going ahead with the 50A switch now, rather than have him come back later on a separate call. That may be what he ends up telling you on Wed, anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have a 50 amp breaker for a 40 amp sustained load
Is there someplace I can point to in the owners manual or on Audi USA and show the electrician? We went off the info on the back of the charger itself and it stated 40amps. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there someplace I can point to in the owners manual or on Audi USA and show the electrician? We went off the info on the back of the charger itself and it stated 40amps. Thanks
This isn't an audi charger thing, this is an electrical code thing. The electrician should know better than to put a 40 amp sustained load on a 40 amp circuit. National electrical code calls for a sustained load not to exceed 80% of the circuit rating.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Talk with your electrician. It sounded like he planned to put in a 50A breaker anyway, so he seemed to be aware. Gauge 6 copper wire is rated for a 50A circuit. If you have a 40A breaker and it is not tripping, you are fine. That is not your case, so upping the breaker to the allowed 50A makes sense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The electrician should know this...if he does not then he has no business being an electrician. The breaker has to be 125% of the continuous load, unless he used a 100% rated circuit breaker. With that being said, if it is tripping in 40 minutes, there is something else long...even if a smaller breaker is used it should be fine up to around 3 hours.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. This is very helpful. I had initially asked my electrician to install a 50-amp breaker, and he had brought the appropriate copper wire for it. Unfortunately, his supplier did not have any in stock, and the electrician looked all over for a compatible breaker, but none were available at the time (around March 20). This is in the middle of the Suez blockage and right after the Texas winter storm. So we installed the 40amp breaker, which was all that was available at the time. It ran fine, no issues, until this weekend.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
The breaker has to be 125% of the continuous load, unless he used a 100% rated circuit breaker

If the electrician does not know it, run away or best kick the guy out. He is better suited to fix radios. Your sustained load on a circuit should never exceed 80% of the circuit size. For 50A circuit, you have 40A sustained load. Go above it and your breaker may start acting up due to heating and other funky side effects. However you cut it, on 40A circuit I am surprised you're getting any charging done at all at 40A. This would make me look at the breaker with care and make sure it is not semi fused under thermal load.

Either way, you need to replace the breaker to 50A, or go above if your cabling allows.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the electrician does not know it, run away or best kick the guy out. He is better suited to fix radios. Your sustained load on a circuit should never exceed 80% of the circuit size. For 50A circuit, you have 40A sustained load. Go above it and your breaker may start acting up due to heating and other funky side effects. However you cut it, on 40A circuit I am surprised you're getting any charging done at all at 40A. This would make me look at the breaker with care and make sure it is not semi fused under thermal load.

Either way, you need to replace the breaker to 50A, or go above if your cabling allows.
Technically if you're going to go with a breaker larger than 50 amp, the charger needs to be hardwired to be code compliant. 50 amp is the max outlet amperage allowed generally.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
Correct on that front. Some electricians play it loose some, and will still leave the outlet in place, but I would not risk it. The code was written this way for a reason. Nobody wants to burn the house down

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even now, all local consumer hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) in my area were out of the 50-amp breakers. Closest was ~30 miles away. The local electrical wholesale supply store had two in stock, and I purchased one. Unbelievable that a $12 part may burn the house down.

Back in mid-March, the electrician had quoted me $200 to install the nema 14-50 socket. Audi USA web site had conflicting information on what amp capacity was needed (40amp in one place, 50amp in another). My salesman recommended to install the 50amp one. When I went back to my electrician providing the quote about installing the 50 amp one, he bumped the quote to $250, citing need for upgraded wiring and upgraded 50amp breaker. When it came to actual install time, he could not find a 40amp breaker in stores anywhere - sold out and/or waiting for re-stock that would take weeks. The back of the Audi chargers states 40amps. The electrician should have known better and told me we need a 50amp breaker to handle the 40amp charger. But he actually said, oh, we can go with 40 amps. He is coming in the afternoon today to "look at what is wrong" and I will have him stall the 50amp breaker.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
786 Posts
When I did my charger installation, I shelled out close to 2.8k for charger, wiring, cabling, and also fuse box rebuild (I was out of space in the older one). You have a tax break for that, though, so you can write the costs off as long as you are buying a home charger at the same time. I did go with 50A draw current, though, so all cabling and breakers are scaled up accordingly. When preparing for the install, I contacted ChargePoint support to understand what amperage I need to prepare for (50A, hard wire, no socket) and read on local code to know what to expect. Long story short, install went fine but city inspector flunked the build over 0.2" of extra spacing between old and new fuse box, so it had to be moved over 0.3" to be in code. Yes, horror stories. At least charger can pull 50A overnight with no issues. No heating, no circuit breaker acting up, etc.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Even now, all local consumer hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware) in my area were out of the 50-amp breakers. Closest was ~30 miles away. The local electrical wholesale supply store had two in stock, and I purchased one. Unbelievable that a $12 part may burn the house down.

Back in mid-March, the electrician had quoted me $200 to install the nema 14-50 socket. Audi USA web site had conflicting information on what amp capacity was needed (40amp in one place, 50amp in another). My salesman recommended to install the 50amp one. When I went back to my electrician providing the quote about installing the 50 amp one, he bumped the quote to $250, citing need for upgraded wiring and upgraded 50amp breaker. When it came to actual install time, he could not find a 40amp breaker in stores anywhere - sold out and/or waiting for re-stock that would take weeks. The back of the Audi chargers states 40amps. The electrician should have known better and told me we need a 50amp breaker to handle the 40amp charger. But he actually said, oh, we can go with 40 amps. He is coming in the afternoon today to "look at what is wrong" and I will have him stall the 50amp breaker.
Your situation is not likely to burn your house down. You are using 6 gauge copper, which is the most important factor and is what you need for a 50A circuit. If your current draw exceeds the approximate 40 A limit with your breaker, it will trip and turn things off. That's why breakers are a safety feature. Both the charger and the breaker are made with certain manufacturing tolerances. The charger is rated at 40A, but in reality is might draw a little less; similarly, the 40A breaker might tolerate a little more. So the two together might work just fine. As long as you have that 6 gauge wiring, nothing is going to start a fire. Breakers dealing with loads close to their limit for prolonged periods can degrade over time, and this can lower the amperage at which they will trip. That might be what happened to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well the 50amp seems to be working without tripping so far at charging 10% of the capacity. It never charged above 6% when all this started. Charging rate is at 8.8kW.

The electrician claimed he had called Audi USA and they told him that 40amp breaker would do. I told him to install the 50amp breaker anyways - he had brought a 40amp breaker with him claiming he could not find a 50amp one. Will charge till 80% tonight like I always do at home and see how it goes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts