Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll be taking delivery of my e-tron in a couple of weeks and was wondering what charging networks are included in the Audi Charging Network. I'm told I get £150 of free charging and a 12 month subscription to the "Transit" tariff.

I've been reading up on the e-tron charging services website and it only mentions IONITY and Source London specifically:

Does it include networks like BP Chargemaster / Polar, Shell / New Motion, PodPoint, ChargeYouCar etc.?

I'm currently a PHEV driver so don't have experience of rapid charging yet.

Cheers,

Tony

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
As far as I am aware you can only use the IONITY network within the Audi Network. Currently they are few and far between. Even though as we all get the £150 free credit and 12 months free membership I have yet to use my card.

The nearest IONITY charge point to me is in an area I never travel. Its a nice idea and can see it being useful, but because they are limited I have only set up my account, when I set it up I also set the activation date for December 2020. This was the latest future date It would allow me to select before it becomes active. I was mindful that there are future plans for sites and thought it a good idea to put my membership on hold until it is further established.

I have reached out to Audi for confirmation and the correct information to see if we can use other networks with our Audi Charge cards, It would be good to be able to use the credit we have on other networks.

I have spoken to Audi UK they sent me this link: You may have read it already:

The basis of it are the following are included within the Audi Network.

Limited right now for my travel areas but may suit many.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I am aware you can only use the IONITY network within the Audi Network. Currently they are few and far between. Even though as we all get the £150 free credit and 12 months free membership I have yet to use my card.

The nearest IONITY charge point to me is in an area I never travel. Its a nice idea and can see it being useful, but because they are limited I have only set up my account, when I set it up I also set the activation date for December 2020. This was the latest future date It would allow me to select before it becomes active. I was mindful that there are future plans for sites and thought it a good idea to put my membership on hold until it is further established.

I have reached out to Audi for confirmation and the correct information to see if we can use other networks with our Audi Charge cards, It would be good to be able to use the credit we have on other networks.

I have spoken to Audi UK they sent me this link: You may have read it already:

The basis of it are the following are included within the Audi Network.

View attachment 498

Limited right now for my travel areas but may suit many.

Thanks - that's really helpful. There's quite a few here that will appear along my road trips according to "A Better Route Planner" and Zap Map. I charge at home and work so won't be making use of ones in my county unless I'm almost empty and returning from a long journey. Reading the article implies that even PodPoint will work despite the fact that it doesn't make use of RFID, and the MyAudi app should trigger the charge. We'll see... My e-tron is due in the next couple of weeks. I've got a first tentative mini-road trip of about 250 miles being planned to ease myself into BEVs.

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
No problem
Be sure to post up some pics on the forum!
All the best for the 250m drive. Be sure to have a read through some posts on the forum if you have not already about the regen braking and the different drive modes.
Obviously the AC is a killer. All it takes is good planning and a fast charger if needed on route and you will be fine.
If you have time it would be a really interesting read to see how you get on, so if you can (be bothered that is!) try and document the journey. Lots of owners, new buyers and those investigating would benefit from your experience. Most posts are based on opinion and your trip will be genuine.
A 250 mile trip is a great way to get going,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem
Be sure to post up some pics on the forum!
All the best for the 250m drive. Be sure to have a read through some posts on the forum if you have not already about the regen braking and the different drive modes.
Obviously the AC is a killer. All it takes is good planning and a fast charger if needed on route and you will be fine.
If you have time it would be a really interesting read to see how you get on, so if you can (be bothered that is!) try and document the journey. Lots of owners, new buyers and those investigating would benefit from your experience. Most posts are based on opinion and your trip will be genuine.
A 250 mile trip is a great way to get going,
Thanks - I'll definitely feedback here on my first experience. I'm a bit of a stats geek as well as an EV advocate (although just a PHEV driver at the moment) so anything I can do to help I'll make sure I'll do. I'll also post some pictures.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
I’ve had my charging card for around 8 months now which unfortunately coincided with the pandemic. Audi wouldn’t extend it so it’ll expire sometime around April next year and I’m yet to use it. Could anyone confirm that using the card on something like GeniePoint or Instavolt just unlocks free vend until the £150 is gone? If it’s that simple then despite the price difference between going direct I might as well use those free credits!

·
Registered
74 Posts
@Steviestainz if I understand your question correctly, yes using the e-tron card with the £150 credit means simply swiping it on the RFID reader of the charge machine then charge as usual with no need to pay at the charge point, much like a free vend. Your MyAudi account will be deducted the cost of the charge at a flat rate of £0.39/kW for fast chargers (even if the charger is cheaper) or £0.28/kW at Ionity.

You should recieve a monthly bill via email showing how many electrons you've guzzled vs cost, which will also show the remaining credit of your £150 voucher.

I've only used the free AC pod-point chargers, there aren't many DC ones around here so I'm not sure how it works with those but the literature mentions using the pod-point app. It'd be good if someone could confirm whether the MyAudi app will enable the DC Podpoint charger for longer than 15mins?

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
91 Posts
Thanks, good timing - I was just logged in to the Audi charging service web site trying to find out when my exact contract end date is. From what I understand from German colleagues at work, the cost of DC charging and more generally electricity throughout is a lot more expensive that in the UK. That might explain the disparity between why PodPoint, GeniePoint etc. are cheaper on their pay as you go tariffs than via Audi Charging service. I'll try to use the card the next time I 'fill up' but to be honest I think the whole subscription/tariff regime won't be very attractive in the UK. Polar seems much better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I posted a separate thread about the DC flat rate, but your insight there re: Germany is interesting to read. That'll explain it.

I completely agree. Once the year's free subscription is up I'll be cancelling. Until then, I'll try use up the £150. The monthly tarrif and additional cost of DC really don't seem worth it.

1) The RFID is pretty cool and saves a bit of hassle.
2) Using the MyAudi app to find and enable chargers might be worthwhile, but not all chargers are on there and I've not enabled anything on my app yet.
3) The flat rate for Ionity is a very handy saving, but you only get that on the £16 per month tarrif.

1 and 2 should be standard with the price of the car, no tarrif, in my opinion a la Tesla.

Much easier to use contactless chargers or like you say, explore UK based alternative tarrifs. I'll have a look at Polar thanks for the tip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts