Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search this forum, but I couldn't find any good info. I can't get myself set as key user. I have 10 digit code and my audi connect app and login all set. Everytime I try to set myself as key user it complains of a connection error. I went to dealership and they said audi connect has been down for weeks? Does this mean that no one can use audi connect in the US or is this merely a registration issue between the Vin, 10 digit key code and my audi username. If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated. I read through some other forums but didn't seem to find anything that useful. Thanks in advance.

Jason

·
Registered
360 Posts
I did search this forum, but I couldn't find any good info. I can't get myself set as key user. I have 10 digit code and my audi connect app and login all set. Everytime I try to set myself as key user it complains of a connection error. I went to dealership and they said audi connect has been down for weeks? Does this mean that no one can use audi connect in the US or is this merely a registration issue between the Vin, 10 digit key code and my audi username. If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated. I read through some other forums but didn't seem to find anything that useful. Thanks in advance.

Jason
Even here in the UK, I have had issues on and off trying to get registered as key user and even registering wife as an 'authorised' user.

Eventually worked, then was having issues with the system telling me I wasnt logged in to the MMI (when trying to use Alexa - still not got that to work) - and therefore I did a reset and then took two more days trying to log in.

Its been a farce and I assume its all down to Audi connect being down / server maintenances that have been occurring.

I keep getting told by the car to 'complete the process' which I have done about 10 times.

Keep persisting - it might eventually work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I am really confused. Is the registration process the part that is faulty at Audi, or is it the whole audi connect thing? Does this mean that no one has access to audi connect data from their smartphone to their vehicle? Sounds kind of strange, and terrible. When I went to my dealer, he said that it has been out for weeks. Does that mean that the entire system is non-functional? Why are people advising to try daily? Once I am registered I wont have these issues again? And I mean by registered, linking my vehicle to my account using the 10 digit key code and setting key user. This is the part that doesnt work for me. I cannot set the key user. It says it has a connection error when I try to submit the info. Can anyone help me with this issue? I find it strange that it has been out for weeks. I think my dealer is saying this as a stock reply, not wanting to deal with it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here in the UK we have a helpline to talk to someone about issues with Audi connect - have you got anything like that there (pointless me giving you the UK one)

I was told that it needed a certain strength on the mobile signal to stand any chance of working so what sort of signal are you getting with the provider out there - perhaps try driving somewhere with a strong signal

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here in the UK we have a helpline to talk to someone about issues with Audi connect - have you got anything like that there (pointless me giving you the UK one)

I was told that it needed a certain strength on the mobile signal to stand any chance of working so what sort of signal are you getting with the provider out there - perhaps try driving somewhere with a strong signal
Well, on my MMI the 4g connection shows pretty much 4 out of 5 bars, so a pretty strong signal. I did try it elsewhere in town, but the same result. I guess I am trying to find out if this is just a registration difficulty or is this the entire system that goes down and no one has audi connect working. I feel that this is the key user setup that has the issue, hopefully once that is done, the rest works pretty reliably. Mainly because I have an etron, i want to see the trip statistics. Has anyone been able to pull trip data and put it into a database?

·
Registered
2020 E-Tron 55 Launch Edit for her
21 Posts
Having finally set my wife up as the Key User after 5 months - I feel you pain!

Our car was a dealer demo so we didn’t have the original fob code. Dealership supplied a new one but it didn’t work. Tried many things with the supplying dealer, our local dealer, and Audi tech support with me following instructions over the phone => connection error.

I highlighted that the part label the fob was supplied in had a VIN printed on it that wasn’t the VIN for our car. I was told by both dealers and Audi tech support that this didn’t matter - it should still work.

Eventually I was told that the code locks out after 10 attempts - even if it doesn’t connect. This seemed rather weird, and the fact that I was told this 4 months after I had been walked through the process again and again by Audi staff was rather annoying - I must have tried 20 times on the phone to them and at least 30 other attempts myself.

I was then told that I needed to buy a new fob. Audi Customer Service sorted that nonsense for me and a new fob was posted to me. Interestingly the part label for this one DID show the correct VIN on the label, and it connected first attempt!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having finally set my wife up as the Key User after 5 months - I feel you pain!

Our car was a dealer demo so we didn’t have the original fob code. Dealership supplied a new one but it didn’t work. Tried many things with the supplying dealer, our local dealer, and Audi tech support with me following instructions over the phone => connection error.

I highlighted that the part label the fob was supplied in had a VIN printed on it that wasn’t the VIN for our car. I was told by both dealers and Audi tech support that this didn’t matter - it should still work.

Eventually I was told that the code locks out after 10 attempts - even if it doesn’t connect. This seemed rather weird, and the fact that I was told this 4 months after I had been walked through the process again and again by Audi staff was rather annoying - I must have tried 20 times on the phone to them and at least 30 other attempts myself.

I was then told that I needed to buy a new fob. Audi Customer Service sorted that nonsense for me and a new fob was posted to me. Interestingly the part label for this one DID show the correct VIN on the label, and it connected first attempt!
Thanks for the info mik. My key code does match the vin in my case. I probably have tried about 30 times already, and from what I am reading, its saying to continue to try. I hope there isnt a timeout with it though, or an attempt counter. I wonder if there is a way to reset on the odbeleven tool. Anyone know?

jason

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the info mik. My key code does match the vin in my case. I probably have tried about 30 times already, and from what I am reading, its saying to continue to try. I hope there isnt a timeout with it though, or an attempt counter. I wonder if there is a way to reset on the odbeleven tool. Anyone know?

jason
My Connect services are working fine. It is very likely a problem with the registration. The code you use should NOT be your VIN, since the idea is that the code should be totally private due to security concerns. I had a great deal of trouble getting registered back in 2019 and it is an ongoing problem, if you read threads here. You might try contacting the Audi Connect Service desk in the US: 877-505-2834 to see if there are issues on their side. Have you been able to log in via the MMI to your MyAudi account? Various "fixes" have been posted around, such as changing your password on your MyAudi account or doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the MyAudi app. Regarding signal strength, I think that is probably a bogus assertion by someone at the dealership who had run out of excuses. The Service Desk is probably your first best bet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Connect services are working fine. It is very likely a problem with the registration. The code you use should NOT be your VIN, since the idea is that the code should be totally private due to security concerns. I had a great deal of trouble getting registered back in 2019 and it is an ongoing problem, if you read threads here. You might try contacting the Audi Connect Service desk in the US: 877-505-2834 to see if there are issues on their side. Have you been able to log in via the MMI to your MyAudi account? Various "fixes" have been posted around, such as changing your password on your MyAudi account or doing a full uninstall/reinstall of the MyAudi app. Regarding signal strength, I think that is probably a bogus assertion by someone at the dealership who had run out of excuses. The Service Desk is probably your first best bet.
Ok thanks for the info. The plastic tag I have, has part of my VIN on the right, which matches and the scratch off area has a 10 digit alpha code, no numbers that I can see. I have tried repeatedly over the past few days with the same "connection error". I have both paid services running which they both work fine, and I can login to myaudi from the car, but I just cant set the key user. I will try calling tomorrow as they are not around over the weekend.

Thanks again

jason

·
Registered
21 Posts
The code you use is not of course your VIN. But the tag that provides the 10-digit code has an Audi part number. The code on the one initially provided to us did not show our VIN - I suspect it isn’t even an E-Tron VIN. The one that worked DOES display our VIN.

image is of the one that didn’t work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The code you use is not of course your VIN. But the tag that provides the 10-digit code has an Audi part number. The code on the one initially provided to us did not show our VIN - I suspect it isn’t even an E-Tron VIN. The one that worked DOES display our VIN.

image is of the one that didn’t work.

Ok cool. I will just have to keep on trying. I think I also need to call the audi care hotline and see what is up with the servers. I just dont beleive the dealer anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would also ask them about the 10-attempt lock-out. I was told this was true by both dealerships and Audi tech support. (Although there is a logic-loop fail for me here - if it fails to complete the connection, then where does “the system” store that the code has been attempted? It feels like suggesting that your credit card will lock if a machine fails to read the magnetic strip 10x in a row.... if it fails to read - how does it know??)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Jason
our dealer set me up as key user upon delivery in February and later, last week, they helped us add my wife to our 2021. Re connecting to our e-tron haven’t had any issues other than when they updated the app last month. I called the AUDI number on the My Audi website and they have assisted me with other issues. We live in the DFW area and have a particularly good dealer, Sewell, that we have dealt with since 2003.

PBM

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some more information for the group. Brought it to a local audi dealer, and they tried multiple things including pulling the fuses for the gateway module. That still didnt work. Service tech says he is going to write a ticket and Audi can push a signal to the car. If that still doesnt work, they are going to change out the entire com-module, which I got two prices on, service adviser said it was 2500 and repair tech said it was 6k. In both cases its covered. Also tech said there was no limit on how many attempts. Also the setting key user involves satellite signal, so dont try to do this in a covered area. Weird stuff, but glad I brought it to the dealer. Their technologist was arguing with the service department. Apparently technologist cant do anything but mess with settings through the touchscreens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts