Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 6 months is up. Than means the Audi connect subscription is ending. . I find that using Wayz on Carplay more often than the Google maps the car comes with. Anyone have any experience not paying for Audi connect?. Does Car play still work? My research shows that the features on the Audi App will still work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, CarPlay still works after Audi Connect subscription lapses. Had it on previous Audis as well as current. I do not think the MyAudi app will still communicate with the car since the car will need to use "data" to communicate with the app.

·
Registered
64 Posts
For what it is worth, my research says the myAudi app still works, but some of the "premium" features are disabled. Basic things (like lock/unlock/charge status/stolen vehicle locator) are ok, but sending destination might be gone and the things like valet and other things are gone for sure.

I see some people on older vehicles sub'ing out their Audi provided AT&T SIM for a T-Mobile to get hotspot back, however, I am not sure (a) if that is possible on the e-Tron and (b) if that would mess up the above features from working...UPDATE: NOT POSSIBLE, newer models utilize eSIM and unless you can get the IDs for it (probably impossible) you can't do anything 3rd party.

For basic features, Audi has to keep some data services connected to the car, so it is not totally dead, but the driver facing things go away (per the not too clear myAudi site)...but at $27/mo for something I never or barely use, its not worth the cost. $10-15/mo, maybe.

Here is the scoop on Care (included no matter what for free), everything else that you pay for after the trial:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is that 36 months for Care? Prime? or Plus? Would really like to know if that's for Prime and/or Plus. If so, we're really getting screwed in the US.
That's a good question, I'm not sure. I didn't realise there were different levels. As far as I know, it's just "Audi Connect" in the UK.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My Audi Plus/Prime 6-month trial just recently expired. The basics (Audi Care) continue to work and that's all I care about. Everything else they offered was full of issues. The car kept "forgetting" favorites and the "Home address". The "Received destinations" (sent to the car from the app) would take a while to be received after starting up the car (same for the Favorites), sometimes never. The native navigation would send me in circles and have me park a couple of blocks away and recommend I walk the rest of the way to my destination. WTF? I mean, I know I could use the exercise, but ...

So long as CarPlay works and I can remote lock/unlock, I am very happy. If Audi were to fix all the glitches with the MMI, I might consider renewing Prime but there's absolutely no urgency. My 5-year old misses his hotspot. You lose Google Earth too ... so sheisty ... BUT! ... Google Maps in Dark Mode is waaaaay better!

This is yet another way that Audi's sloppy work is costing them repeat/return business.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
358 Posts
I personally just started the trial and only for hotspot capability. Once it is good and done, I might consider it worth it if I can switch from AT&T over to tMobile. I am curious what the process would be and if it even is possible.

·
Registered
663 Posts
In the US, you cannot switch. 2019 models use AT&T and 2021 models use Verizon. My E tron is a 2019, so the hotspot I am using is AT&T. My mobile phone plan is Verizon. Actually, AT&T coverage is a bit better around my home than Verizon, but I am sticking with Verizon for other reasons. Now, since I am on Home Wifi (Xfinity) when at home and on the Audi AT&T while in the car, I found I could cut my Verizon data plan to the bare minimum, given that when using data I am mostly at home or in my car. What I saved on reducing the Verizon plan almost makes up for the Annual Unlimited AT&T subscription available in the car. I'm finding I'm still barely using any of my Verizon data.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
358 Posts
I am thinking I might end up getting a mobile hotspot and just be done with it. But ... is there a way to connect internal car functions to external hot spot? Despite looking through all menus, I do not seem to find the magic spot where it could be done.

·
Registered
663 Posts
As far as I know, there is no way to connect the car to an external hotspot. This is a real problem if you live in an area with very poor AT&T (or Verizon) service, since in that case there is no way for the car to access the Audi Servers when you are at home.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts