·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
168 Posts
Both of these are done, like Rory’s, in the Highlands: very different tones. I posted this first one in another thread; please forgive the double-posting. Both feature range anxiety. The first also talks a lot about how heavy the GT feels, but likes the interior a lot.

.This second guy actually ran out of juice, but seemed to like the car more than Achilles, including the handling:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Bit of a mixed review:
Yes, it is, but it’s informative in a real-world way. One of the first things I have planned for my GT is a cross-country trip. Insights about charging speeds, plateaus, etc., are very helpful. One of the things I have seen in the many EV Road Trip YT videos, especially the Cannonball guys, is the recommendation to charge more frequently for shorter periods of time. Following the old aphorism of never passing on a bathroom break, I guess. But the behavior of the GT, where and how it plateaus in the charging cycle, might affect all that. I do find it odd that many of these reviews are saying the GT is under-delivering on range, while more than a few claim the Taycan is over-delivering. Will be fun to find out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, it is, but it’s informative in a real-world way. One of the first things I have planned for my GT is a cross-country trip. Insights about charging speeds, plateaus, etc., are very helpful. One of the things I have seen in the many EV Road Trip YT videos, especially the Cannonball guys, is the recommendation to charge more frequently for shorter periods of time. Following the old aphorism of never passing on a bathroom break, I guess. But the behavior of the GT, where and how it plateaus in the charging cycle, might affect all that. I do find it odd that many of these reviews are saying the GT is under-delivering on range, while more than a few claim the Taycan is over-delivering. Will be fun to find out.
Yes, I've noticed that range disparity too. It seems the Taycan really does do much better than the EPA estimates. Yet the GT seems to be lagging the projected range estimates. Not sure why that is.

If I was in the market for the Taycan or the GT, I really don't know what I'd pick. I like the Taycan interior more but I prefer the GT exterior...not that the Porsche is not a gorgeous car too. The newest Taycan has a decided price advantage over the GT (contrary to what was said in the review). I've seen the Taycan going in the neighborhood of $79,000. So that's a pretty big disparity. But I'm not in the market now just having gotten the e-Tron Sportback.

I'm also waiting to see if the Lucid lives up to the claims. If so, that could be quite the EV.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Yes, I've noticed that range disparity too. It seems the Taycan really does do much better than the EPA estimates. Yet the GT seems to be lagging the projected range estimates. Not sure why that is.

If I was in the market for the Taycan or the GT, I really don't know what I'd pick. I like the Taycan interior more but I prefer the GT exterior...not that the Porsche is not a gorgeous car too. The newest Taycan has a decided price advantage over the GT (contrary to what was said in the review). I've seen the Taycan going in the neighborhood of $79,000. So that's a pretty big disparity. But I'm not in the market now just having gotten the e-Tron Sportback.

I'm also waiting to see if the Lucid lives up to the claims. If so, that could be quite the EV.
That price disparity is only for a RWD car (which quite a few might prefer, though not me). I thought I would like the Taycan interior more, and while I liked it, it was not enough to move me off the GT. I have an early reservation on the Lucid, but I still can’t fall in love with it. I know we can expect future car design to flower, but right now the Lucid’s design is more weed than blossom. It’s just not pretty. And that all glass roof-to-windshield I think will be a sunshine nightmare. And as a brand-new car maker, I’d like to see their coach work before I commit. I expect I will cancel my reservation when the time comes, but I agree that it could be quite an EV.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I too have a deposit down for the Lucid. Unfortunately they've had quite a few delays and I agree, we'll have to see how they score in the fit and finish dept. For that price it must be exceptionally good or they'll lose customers.

As for the GT & the Porsche, I'd say you can't go wrong with either. I'm just very curious how the ride compares with the current e-Tron. I'd like to test drive both, but I'm afraid if I do I'll want to trade in my new e-Tron. My wife would kill me. Going from an I-Pace to an e-Tron to a Porsche/GT in a bit over a year would be the end of me. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Excellent review, but I can’t say I was surprised with the results. The only thing that did surprise me was the fact that he found the Taycan quieter with less wind & road noise.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Makes a lot of sense that the e-tron GT's interior is easier to use than the Taycan. Touchscreens are great and all but physical buttons are still needed imo.
Same here. There is a fellow over at AudiWorld who defines luxury in part by how high-tech a cabin is, and he’s disappointed in the GT, especially its lack of screens. That’s his prerogative of course; it’s a personal thing. I like having those manual mechanical controls.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Chris Harris video seemed weird to me. Takes a 2.5ton GT to a track and compares it to a track focused M5. Ofc the BMW is going to come off better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice video on charging

Reactions: drunkenspyder

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The Chris Harris video seemed weird to me. Takes a 2.5ton GT to a track and compares it to a track focused M5. Ofc the BMW is going to come off better.
Well yeah, but that wasn’t the real point. The point, it seems to me, is how well the GT did.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts