Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reviews from real E-Tron SUV owners have been providing a critical level of insight that cannot be found in regular reviews. Such as real-world range numbers, what speed provides a consistent "burn rate", maintenance/servicing, charging and so much more. I will be sharing them here, feel free to do the same, maybe in a similar format to the one below if sharing details on your own experience. Or whatever works.

2019 Audi e-tron quattro EV Ownership Review
We’re spending three months with this Audi e-tron, reviewing the full ownership experience with ongoing updates.

Slower Speeds Yield Very Impressive EV Gains
by Michael Harley on February 21, 2020
Current Odometer: 4,077 miles
Latest efficiency: 2.6 mi/kWh
Overall efficiency: 2.2 mi/kWh
Maintenance/Service Costs: $0.00
Time out of Service: 0 days

Typically, I set the cruise control at about 75 mph for my long commute. This speed consistently delivers a “burn rate” of about 2.3 mi/kWh with the e-tron (I average about 73 mph when LA traffic is factored in). To test efficiency at a slightly lower speed, I set the cruise control to 70 mph for this morning’s 96.5-mile drive. After arriving at the office, the math (I use a hand-held GPS) said that I had driven with an average highway speed of 68.04 mph. The e-tron had consumed electrons at the rate of just 2.6 mi/kWh, which is a notably impressive gain for a five mile-per-hour decrease in velocity. According to the vehicle’s trip computer, I had consumed a mere 57 miles of range over 96.5 miles of driving — that’s jaw-dropping! Next week, I will drop the speed by another five and see what happens.

Audi e-tron Delivers More Miles than Promised
by Michael Harley on February 7, 2020

Current Odometer: 3,042 miles
Latest efficiency: 2.3 mi/kWh

I’ve noticed that the Audi e-tron, unlike any other EV that I have tested, delivers more real-world miles than estimated by its trip computer. During this morning’s 96.5-mile commute, I averaged 72.92 mph on the highway leg and the e-tron used just 70 miles of range during that period, which is better than a 25 percent improvement. Returning more miles than promised is very unusual, as my experience with other pure-electric vehicles is just the opposite (Tesla and Kia both come to mind). Credit likely goes to Audi’s meticulous thermal management of its battery and efficiency during the coasting cycle of driving.

Silent Luxury, Pure-EV Style

by Michael Harley on February 2, 2020

Current Odometer: 2,447 miles
Latest efficiency: 2.4 mi/kWh

Electric vehicles, by design, operate much more quietly than their combustion counterparts because they lack noisy engines. Audi takes things a few steps further ahead with its pure-EV by focusing on significantly reducing cabin noise. Laminated glass, acoustic insulation, and meticulous work in the wind tunnel (managing airflow) make the e-tron one of the quietest vehicles that we have ever driven.
The downside is a weight penalty. Heavy batteries and premium sound deadening force the e-tron to tip the scales at about 5,750 pounds. This is about 800 pounds heavier than its Q7 sibling. The Tesla Model X (5,500 pounds) and Jaguar I-PACE (4,700 pounds) are lighter, but neither is as quiet or as comfortable as the Audi e-tron. At cruising speeds, the Audi is near-silent, while the (noisy) Tesla and Jaguar are notably louder.

Introducing the 2019 Audi e-tron quattro
by Michael Harley on January 27, 2020

Current Odometer: 1,921 miles
Latest efficiency: 2.4 mi/kWh

The Audi e-tron was launched as an all-new model for 2019. Slotting in physical stature above the Audi Q5 and below the Audi Q7, the 100 percent electric five-passenger crossover is fitted with dual asynchronous motors and a 95 kWh battery. The EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) certified the vehicle with an estimated range of 204 miles. While a 200-plus mile driving range is strong, the figure is notably fewer than the range of the Jaguar I-PACE (253 miles) and Tesla Model X (351 miles), which are the vehicle’s premium pure-EV competitors.
After piloting a 2019 Audi e-tron across the United States in a cross-country Cannonball-style drive late last year, we were impressed with the crossover’s comfort, efficiency, and ability to use convenient 150-kW DC high-speed commercial charging stations. The high-powered units use the SAE Combined Charging System (CCS) to restore an 80 percent charge to the e-tron’s battery in about 30 minutes, which makes it one of the quickest on the market.

Home Level 2 charging
But using high-speed chargers isn’t the “use case” for today’s EV. Electric vehicle owners should have a lower power Level 2 charger at home to charge overnight (during off-peak hours) and wake to a fully restored battery. Those with longer commutes will have a Level 2 unit at work, to charge during the day. While high-speed DC chargers are significantly faster, their use should be reserved for road trips when the vehicle is hundreds of miles from home.
Putting this logic to the test, we’ve borrowed a 2019 Audi e-tron quattro. The Galaxy Blue model, in range-topping Prestige trim, carries an as-tested price of $84,890 (including a $995 destination charge). Equipped with ventilating and massaging Valcona leather seats, acoustic laminated glass, and a Bang & Olufsen audio system, the cabin is comfortable and serene. A full suite of innovative technology, including Audi pre sense safety features and adaptive cruise control, make it effortless to drive.
Our objective is to challenge the e-tron with a daily 190-mile commute, load it up with adults for evenings on the town, drive it over the mountains to the beach, and run family carpools. All without ever having to tap into the public DC charging grid. Many experts say that a 200-mile range EV is more than sufficient for everyone. We are going to find out.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts