Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Who ever is listening to me.I would not normally post things on any portals but I really feel compelled to do so today.
I purchased a brand new etron 50 on the 18th December of last year. I purchased the car for my wife on the basis that all marketing and brochures clearly state a range of betwwen 180-200 miles running at 3 Mkwh. My wife ( when allowed to do so) needs to visit her 87 father who has advanced dementia and the whole conversations with the dealer was that was fine and you would only need to stop once to charge.This is not possible.

I have reported this car as not fit for purpose on 27th Dec to the main dealer as we were not able to get more than 88 miles on 100% charge and even less on 80% charge as they had advised me to do for short journeys. I decied to hand the car back on the advice of the sales manager who agreed the range was unacceptable.

We have now been told that Audi will not take the car back even when the delaer has said the range is wholly wrong. Why would anyone in there right mind spend 65k on a car with 90 miles range. Its crazy.

I really would welcome any advice and also are there any other etron owners with the same issues. Please help. Matt

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 55 but only 88 miles is very low. Let them check the battery 1) and 2) ask for a temporary replacement in order to find out that range is much better than that 3) send a letter to Audi UK copy to Audi HQ Germany

·
Registered
360 Posts
Go to Citizens Advice and ask about the Consumers rights Act 2015.

I believe if your car has a fault in the first 30 days (which this looks like it might be) you can reject the car but best ask them as they will know for definite.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Etron 50 has 190 miles of WLTP range
WLTP is not realistic range estimate by my observations and all online accounts
EPA estimate, which is a lot more realistic, should be in the neighborhood of 150 miles, judging by the ratio of WLTP to EPA range for etron 55
Now this is warm weather range :)
In winter, you lose about 20% of that, so you should have about 120, depending on you driving habits
Audi presets your car to charge to 80% only to enhance battery life
That leaves you with about 95 miles

Based on you saying that you get 88 miles on 100% charge, you might have defective car

As a temporary relief, you can try to turn on stationary climate control while still being plugged in before your trip.
This should add about 10 miles of range in winter

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Sorry about your issues.
As others have said the estimated mileage is the same as the estimated MPG for fossil fueled cars....totally inaccurate.

Plenty of threads on here about unexpected drops in efficiency over winter. If you're sure you not experiencing a drop in efficiency - and therefore low predicted range - due to short journeys then its likely you have a faulty battery cell.

88 miles on a 50 is an average journey efficiency of 1.3 miles per kWh which a lot of us are getting due to short journeys in winter. Has the dealership tested the battery packs? Can you post a screenshot of your statistics page from the myaudi app, showing recent journey duration and efficiency?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 MY2020
6 Posts
We also got our Audi 50 in December. Disappointed to experience the range being so low but your range seems faulty. I agree that you definitely need the dealership to investigate the battery and also invoke your right to return the car within 30 days if there’s a serious fault, although I think Audi will probably make it difficult for you to prove that 88 miles on a full charge is a fault.
I am currently only doing short trips with an average 1.3m/kWh as mentioned above, with probably less than 130 miles on a full charge but it’s winter and I’m pre-heating the car on most days at least in the morning.
We also have a Tesla Model S and, while there are so many faults with it, the battery technology is vastly superior to Audi’s.
Good luck, you’ll definitely have a tough fight on your hands!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The entire world should be warned off the WLTP mileage estimate. The US EPA estimate is much closer to what I observe. I also believe the EV mileage estimates should be modified to include both "standard" and "cold weather" mileage numbers.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
160 Posts
Sorry to read about your disappointment with the car. So much of the economy comes down to terrain and ambient temperature, but I’m not making excuses for a faulty car if that’s indeed the case. What are the start and end points of your journey (town) so that we can consider the overall distance and elevation changes? Whilst I know that you’re probably not feeling like sticking with it, the actual journey detail might make more sense.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
We also have a Tesla Model S and, while there are so many faults with it, the battery technology is vastly superior to Audi’s.
Good luck, you’ll definitely have a tough fight on your hands!
How does your S perform when driving short journeys in winter? What wH/m do you see when travelling.a few miles only in low temperatures?

I'm not challenging your point, I'm genuinely interested. Seen a couple of internet posts from S owners saying they're getting 450-650wH/m in conditions where my e-tron would also be as high in consumption.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The Tesla battery tech is superior in that it offers a lot more miles per charge. Audi's battery thermal management gives it superior HVDC charging rates. In cold weather Teslas suffer some from not having heat pumps (being rectified in new models), plus the GOM is not as reliable.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 MY2020
6 Posts
How does your S perform when driving short journeys in winter? What wH/m do you see when travelling.a few miles only in low temperatures?

I'm not challenging your point, I'm genuinely interested. Seen a couple of internet posts from S owners saying they're getting 450-650wH/m in conditions where my e-tron would also be as high in consumption.
Sorry I don’t know as the Tesla has a much simpler interface and I just keep it on mileage left til empty battery. It’s a 75 kW battery but I can get around 190 miles in the cold on a long drive (officially 229 miles!) and about 160 with short drives. The heating is less efficient but that also means the cabin is upto temperature within 5 minutes or so.
I’m curious to know now so I’ll switch the display to show me more detail!

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
:) brilliant thanks for that. So about 2m/kWh to 2.5m/kWh in the cold. A bit better than the etron. Then of course summer efficiency is a lot better, no need to question that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a e-tron 50 in Denmark where it is currently -3 c outside I drove my e-tron this morning and I have exactly 235km on a full charge or around 147 miles. Something is definitely wrong with your range, or you drive it VERY hard.

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
I have a e-tron 50 in Denmark where it is currently -3 c outside I drove my e-tron this morning and I have exactly 235km on a full charge or around 147 miles. Something is definitely wrong with your range, or you drive it VERY hard.
Whats your average journey distance @Kenned ?

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Thanks @Kenned. That sort of distance, and the preheating, gets everything up temp for a better efficiency reading. I suspect the OP has either a faulty battery cell OR is driving hard/short journeys+cabin heating.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks @Kenned. That sort of distance, and the preheating, gets everything up temp for a better efficiency reading. I suspect the OP has either a faulty battery cell OR is driving hard/short journeys+cabin heating.
I agree cabin heating is a real eyeopener when it comes to efficiency.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Matt, we have he exact same issue. We were never told when we bought the car about the different ranges you get in winter and in summer. I understand that this is a thing now.... however when we were sold the car they never shared any of this information.
We have put in a complaint and Audi are taking it back in to test it for a week. We feel exactly the same way. On a full charge we get 137 miles, yet we only get 88 miles out of the car max. I hope you have more luck than us.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Matt, we have he exact same issue. We were never told when we bought the car about the different ranges you get in winter and in summer. I understand that this is a thing now.... however when we were sold the car they never shared any of this information.
We have put in a complaint and Audi are taking it back in to test it for a week. We feel exactly the same way. On a full charge we get 137 miles, yet we only get 88 miles out of the car max. I hope you have more luck than us.
88 does sound very low ..... My commute to work is a 70 mile round trip, and i can do that twice on a single charge, and have about 20 (ish) miles to spare after that ......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts