Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So standing in 2020, I believe Audi Etron range is on the low side. It’s competition for example Tesla has almost double the range today. The new Q4 etron is also about to be Released which has a 280 miles range. Better than the current Etron. Not to mention it is also much cheaper.
how do you think this will affect the resale of Etron in let’s say 3-4 years time , when there will be better range and quicker German cars around?
and when Audi releases the the new ETron in let’s say the next 3 years with a much higher range and around the same price point as the current Etron? What will happen to the current ETron lineup? Won’t the resale of this Etron completely crash?
im about to pull the trigger on the Etron, range for me is personally not an issue , as my driving is mostly inner city driving. However resale is a big concern

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having similar concerns. I don’t want to buy even if I am getting 25K off of MSRP to further depreciate additional 50% in the next 3 years.

A worrying sign is the used pricing on the e-Tron seems to be dropping

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
In the real-world, a comparable Tesla is nowhere near double the range of what the E-Tron can do. Their government ratings can be easily upwards of 30% higher than reality, especially on the highway. Many independent tests have proved that.

But to your point, yeah, the E-Tron range has always been the weak point since the day it was announced. And combined with many other factors (e.g., charging networks, minimal advertising, etc.) the rock-bottom prices they are going for today reflect those negatives. It's not often you can buy a brand new luxury vehicle for 30% off sticker. Audi will make sure that doesn't happen again via improvements in range and limiting inventory. It's just common business sense.

Given the volatile nature of EV's in general, that's why I also personally opted to buy used. In fact, as inventory has dropped, comparable E-Trons in my area have actually gone up a few grand since I bought mine a few months ago.

In either case, it's a car, it will absolutely depreciate just like any other vehicle. Especially as a luxury vehicle. You should plan on minimizing that loss via discounts, EV credits, buying used, leasing, etc. And then keep it for as long as possible.

But don't expect any other car or EV to "hold it's value" unless your buying something like a Toyota or Lexus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In the real-world, a comparable Tesla is nowhere near double the range of what the E-Tron can do. Their government ratings can be easily upwards of 30% higher than reality, especially on the highway. Many independent tests have proved that.

But to your point, yeah, the E-Tron range has always been the weak point since the day it was announced. And combined with many other factors (e.g., charging networks, minimal advertising, etc.) the rock-bottom prices they are going for today reflect those negatives. It's not often you can buy a brand new luxury vehicle for 30% off sticker. Audi will make sure that doesn't happen again via improvements in range and limiting inventory. It's just common business sense.

Given the volatile nature of EV's in general, that's why I also personally opted to buy used. In fact, as inventory has dropped, comparable E-Trons in my area have actually gone up a few grand since I bought mine a few months ago.

In either case, it's a car, it will absolutely depreciate just like any other vehicle. Especially as a luxury vehicle. You should plan on minimizing that loss via discounts, EV credits, buying used, leasing, etc. And then keep it for as long as possible.

But don't expect any other car or EV to "hold it's value" unless your buying something like a Toyota or Lexus.
very good points on limited inventory moving forward. There are too many used etrons available in the market. Lowest premium plus CPO is going for 50k
Secondly holding value to a Toyota is a good point but tough when you are used to such low depreciation ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the detailed response. I’m comparing the Etron depreciation to any luxury German car depreciation. If it’s the same, I’m happy. But if let’s say compared to combustion engine cars, or other electric cars like the Tesla for that matter, this depreciates like 3 times faster, then theres a problem.

also noob question, but I was just wondering, let’s say Audi starts to make electric car batteries with higher range, and 3 years down the new Etron is released with a range of let’s say 500 miles. Can’t the battery in the 2019 Etron s be replaced with car batteries of the new Etron, and it’s range also increased to 500 miles? What I mean to say is that can’t the existing batteries be replaced with new age batteries helping increase the range of older small range Etrons in the future? Is this something possible?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
thanks for the detailed response. I’m comparing the Etron depreciation to any luxury German car depreciation. If it’s the same, I’m happy. But if let’s say compared to combustion engine cars, or other electric cars like the Tesla for that matter, this depreciates like 3 times faster, then theres a problem.

also noob question, but I was just wondering, let’s say Audi starts to make electric car batteries with higher range, and 3 years down the new Etron is released with a range of let’s say 500 miles. Can’t the battery in the 2019 Etron s be replaced with car batteries of the new Etron, and it’s range also increased to 500 miles? What I mean to say is that can’t the existing batteries be replaced with new age batteries helping increase the range of older small range Etrons in the future? Is this something possible?
Naturally, all we can do is speculate as to the future resale value. From where it's at today, I'd expect it to be about on par with comparable luxury vehicles. The E-Tron has likely already taken the biggest hit in late 2020 and would only go so low before people catch on to the value. Put aside the EV aspect and it's still a very well built luxurious vehicle. As the price has dropped, more people have already realized this and decided the vehicle can easily meet their requirements.

As for replacing the battery with a better one? I'm sure it would be technically possible, but that's not something Audi is going to support. It's no different than asking for a newer engine from the new model. They'll just tell you to buy the new vehicle. Not to mention there at a lot more factors than battery which contribute to range.

Whether it's an ICE or EV, technology is always going to advance and leave the older stuff behind. About the most you can hope for is maybe some software updates, but that only takes you so far. Hardware, battery tech, motors, safety features, on-board computers, and countless other items simply aren't designed to be upgraded. Perhaps someday the EV will become more like a modern PC, but that's a long way off. These things are way too regulated and complex. Although I will say Tesla is making some progress there, it's still very limited.

The best suggestion is to buy the vehicle that will meet your wants and needs throughout the expected timeframe for which you are planning to own it, as it sits on the dealer lot today. And enjoy it!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Electric vehicle technology is advancing very fast. This is why leasing is better. I actually purchased my e-tron 16 months ago, and I had so many problems with it (it spent 7 months in the shop or incapacitated) that Audi bought it back last week under the California Lemon Law.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Electric vehicle technology is advancing very fast. This is why leasing is better. I actually purchased my e-tron 16 months ago, and I had so many problems with it (it spent 7 months in the shop or incapacitated) that Audi bought it back last week under the California Lemon Law.
Lemon law, if I'm not mistaken, forces them to re-purchase far sooner than 7 months of shop time or disuse. Why did it take so long?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts