Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know for sure if the included charging equipment is weather rated?
The manual states 5-95% humidity, which I assume to mean it is not.

Most of these EV mobile connectors are, and the Audi connector looks especially well-designed.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
The manual also states (P.112):
The Audi charging system is protected against dust and splashing water (IP55 (USA: Enclosure 3).
IP (Ingress Protection) Translation:
Solid Ingress 5:
Ingress of dust is not entirely prevented, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment.
Water Ingress 5:
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm (0.25 in)) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

I would take that to mean it can be outdoors and should withstand some normal weather, such as rain, and dirt. But if you google IP ratings and how testing is performed, there is a limit to said testing in terms of the amount of water and duration. So if it ended up being immersed in water or exposed for an extended period of time, there could be a problem.

Personally, given this is a piece of high-voltage electronic equipment, I wouldn't use it in the rain. Not to mention, the manual specifically states you shouldn't charge during a storm (common sense).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. It's probably best to go with another EVSE. I need to use the 14-50 outlet though for.. reasons. They have weather rated outlets which can have additional breakers or GFCIs.

Is everyone using surge protection on their EVSE line? I never came across this in Tesla land, but somebody on this forum said their A3 e-tron battery got messed up from a surge.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I suspect most electricians would recommend a surge protector, regardless of what car it is. Nothing to indicate an Audi is any more or less suseptible to surges. I personally went for a whole house surge protector when the 14-50 outlet was installed. Nothing is 100%, but it wasn't all that expensive, and if it helps mitigate even one surge, it will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Similarly here. I had already dumped two rounds of electrical increases on the house before the need to add a 240V garage outlet came along. I ended upgraded the entire panel and that included whole-house surge protecton.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts