Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the AC Charger options for the RS? 9.6 kWh I'm aware of, but I've read that there's a a 22 kWh option? My dealer isn't familiar with this subject, so anyone who knows something, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"The Audi e-tron GT quattro can be charged at a maximum alternating current (AC) charging capacity of 11 kW as standard. Faster charging at 22 kW at home requires the optional e-tron charging system connect in combination with the optional on-board charger up to 22 kW (AC)³. "
https://www.uk.audi.com/uk/web/en/models/etrongt/audi-e-tron-gt.html

The UK site yes, but this US review mentions 22KW charging too.
"Overnight charging from empty to full is possible using 11-kW AC, while the optional 22-kW charger cuts that time down further. "
First Look: 2022 Audi e-tron GT quattro and RS e-tron GT

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have chased my dealer about this extensively

The 22kw onboard charger is available as an option on the Tayvcan and won't be offered on the UK build cars until early next year

The reality is 22kw charger is great for work, if you have sufficient 3 phase power it would be 32A 3 phase. However I have been looking at installing a 25kW DC charger at work, the only thing is the £9k cost of the unit but could charge two cars so guess I wait until someone else gets one at work

This should mean you can get reasonable charging speeds whilst at the office at cheaper than charging station rates, obviously, commercial electricity costs are different and it will not be off-peak

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have chased my dealer about this extensively

The 22kw onboard charger is available as an option on the Tayvcan and won't be offered on the UK build cars until early next year

The reality is 22kw charger is great for work, if you have sufficient 3 phase power it would be 32A 3 phase. However I have been looking at installing a 25kW DC charger at work, the only thing is the £9k cost of the unit but could charge two cars so guess I wait until someone else gets one at work

This should mean you can get reasonable charging speeds whilst at the office at cheaper than charging station rates, obviously, commercial electricity costs are different and it will not be off-peak
In the same boat. We have a 3-phase system and 22kw charging box ordered. But our dealer never mentioned this as an option.

Have there been any update as to whether it can be ordered or not? I have ordered one for April/Map delivery next year with options but not this one. Very keen to get the amendment in asap.

UK Audi pages say it's available and I have asked the question but curious if anyone knows anything more. or indeed has ordered one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have since found out the parts that need be ordered:

KB4On-board charger up to 22 kW (AC)Increases max AC charging from 11kW to 22kW
NW2e-tron charging system connect (up to 22 kW)Premium charging system for use at home offers a number of smart charging functions such as integrated power metering, PIN protection and cost-optimised charging in combination with myAudi app and corresponding electricity rates. Software updates are possible via an internet connection. The e-tron charging system connect offers even more smart functions in conjunction with a compatible home energy management system. These include charging power adjustment with blackout protection and cost-optimised charging with dynamic consideration of flexible electricity prices. In addition, preference can be given to the use of electricity from an existing photovoltaic system.

For the car you need KB4. Details on the NW2 are not so plentiful.

I've ordered a KB4 and still deciding upon the wall box .... discussing elsewhere on forum.

On car option cost is £1.5 from memory. The wall unit I think they said £2k Audi product but then again the Andersen one is the same.

3-phase supply in the UK for me worked out less than £1k. Path where cable is is a good 12 meters+ from door and CU is just inside where they will install the isolator. That includes all the ground works. Is far from bad.

Not cheap but not outrageous.

You can order and add to a car with an Audi build number. But the mod cannot be added unit week 48 later this year.

Push your dealer, they will may not want to and may know next to nothing (like mine) but they will do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just to interject here, but the rate of charging at 11 kW for charging at home is perfectly adequate.
Hard to argue with the 'need' factor but then again need (or adequacy) is a fairly subjective area from folks buying a GT. I could get by with my daughters 95' diesel Peugeot but ..... :) Actually joking aside apparently that particular little car is insanely good in fact from a life cycle CO2 environmental analysis. 60 mpg, 230k miles and clean as you like emissions wise.

But I agree from a mathematical point of view the 22kw solution it's not one that stands analysis. In our application area, we have a need for 3-phase anyway so the minimal outlay for the car port is a very small percentage of the car tag. As a price tag for the actual component value itself, its outrageous but then it's an Audi part then I guess it's not about value.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know the AC Charger options for the RS? 9.6 kWh I'm aware of, but I've read that there's a a 22 kWh option? My dealer isn't familiar with this subject, so anyone who knows something, it would be greatly appreciated.
Frankly disgusted with Audi - before buying an etron S I told the sales person I wanted the 22kw option - he emphatically told me it was “marketing noise” and it wasn’t coming - then 2 months later it was available as an option ! Had he told me this I would have waited.

So to compound things the dc charger stopped working - apparently just needed a software update - until I discover tonight with 30 miles range left I discover it still doesn’t !
So here I am stuck at a 22kw ac charger charging at 10kw
My advice to anyone buying an etron is to get the 22 ac charger - at least if your dc charger proves to be as reliable as mine you won’t have to reach retirement sitting at an ac charger !

BTW when I left in the £90k etron S in to get the charger fixed (except of course they didn’t) the service guy said they couldnt supply a car for me but they would get me a taxi somewhere if I wanted !

I was considering changing my other car for a GT - wow that would have been a major mistake !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Frankly disgusted with Audi - before buying an etron S I told the sales person I wanted the 22kw option - he emphatically told me it was “marketing noise” and it wasn’t coming - then 2 months later it was available as an option ! Had he told me this I would have waited.

So to compound things the dc charger stopped working - apparently just needed a software update - until I discover tonight with 30 miles range left I discover it still doesn’t !
So here I am stuck at a 22kw ac charger charging at 10kw
My advice to anyone buying an etron is to get the 22 ac charger - at least if your dc charger proves to be as reliable as mine you won’t have to reach retirement sitting at an ac charger !

BTW when I left in the £90k etron S in to get the charger fixed (except of course they didn’t) the service guy said they couldnt supply a car for me but they would get me a taxi somewhere if I wanted !

I was considering changing my other car for a GT - wow that would have been a major mistake !
That's a grim picture.

Audi dealerships knowledge of product proved to be poor in my experience as well despite my Dad and FA being Audi enthusiasts.

Knowledge of options and colours and Audi Exclusive was poor. Repeatedly so. In fairness they had no clue about these options (22kw) even in August this year and had to make repeated calls and discussions to Audi tech support.

What is odd is that Audi media was publishing all this stuff last year in October last year (2020) so they knew about it in the supply chain a good couple of months before. And I think there were car mag articles early Summer. And specifically for your car for sure. The GT was only added/updated later on.

Have to say I've always had company cars so didn't care .... first time I bought a new one and the process was very underwhelming in terms of experience, knowledge, attention and focus to my needs. The focus was very much on selling leasing packages or PCP's.

The dealer I dealt with actually said that they would "not be interested if it turned out to be a lease as the relationship between me and them effectively stopped then"! Motivational stuff.

They like PCP's as far as I can tell as it helps them get their hooks into you on return/renew. They have zero interest in leases as Audi leasing do those. They do like money but I think prefer PCP.

Audi have effectively become like photo copier salesmen .... they are selling finance not hard product. And as such knowledge is weakened and the experience diluted.

Have to say, next time I will bypass (or use) the dealership and go straight to buy or lease direct. Dealership adds little value in this current environment. If there were skills and the willingness to address issues such as yours, then it might be worthwhile.

Fortunately the car appears more rewarding than the Audi commercial machine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Interesting article on Sky News this morning.

There's an app launched where you can rent out your charger to Joe Public who don't have access to off street charging.

You set the rate, you decide the when and how and they pay you!

Here's a link to the app. I can't say I've read up much on it bar watching the 5 min article on TV.

And an article breaking down some of the numbers in The Guardian ....

Will pay for the 8.5 meter longer cable option on the Andersen :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just to interject here, but the rate of charging at 11 kW for charging at home is perfectly adequate.
I disagree. My current Tesla was one of the last with the higher speed charging. Tesla stopped it because they claimed most didn’t order it.

I personally love it. Sure, if all you did was come home after work and put the car on a charger and wait overnight, that’s fine. However my commute is 70miles one way. Going to work, running errands, then coming home drops the battery pretty low. And if I need to quickly charge up for more errands (high school kids in sports for instance) than that extra speed make a world of difference.

What I sincerely hope is this is like what happened with the Taycan. The limitation wasn’t in the car, it was the actual charger you plugged into the wall! Turns out all Taycans will say they charge at the lower power because that is all the plug in charger can handle unless you are on three phase service. But if you plug the Taycan into a high powered wall chargers that is hard wired into your power on a 80amp or 100amp circuit it will happily charge at the higher/faster rate.

Again, sincerely hoping that is the case here. In any event, my local dealer has absolutely NO clue what I am talking about with the Audi. While I am excited about owning this car, it reminds me of where Tesla was ten years ago. The Audi dealers simply do not understand the car, nor can they talk about it intelligently. I will have to do most of the research and support myself and bring the solutions to them!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I disagree. My current Tesla was one of the last with the higher speed charging. Tesla stopped it because they claimed most didn’t order it.

I personally love it. Sure, if all you did was come home after work and put the car on a charger and wait overnight, that’s fine. However my commute is 70miles one way. Going to work, running errands, then coming home drops the battery pretty low. And if I need to quickly charge up for more errands (high school kids in sports for instance) than that extra speed make a world of difference.

What I sincerely hope is this is like what happened with the Taycan. The limitation wasn’t in the car, it was the actual charger you plugged into the wall! Turns out all Taycans will say they charge at the lower power because that is all the plug in charger can handle unless you are on three phase service. But if you plug the Taycan into a high powered wall chargers that is hard wired into your power on a 80amp or 100amp circuit it will happily charge at the higher/faster rate.

Again, sincerely hoping that is the case here. In any event, my local dealer has absolutely NO clue what I am talking about with the Audi. While I am excited about owning this car, it reminds me of where Tesla was ten years ago. The Audi dealers simply do not understand the car, nor can they talk about it intelligently. I will have to do most of the research and support myself and bring the solutions to them!
Same there with the Audi dealers? It's a really poor do. I really do think they stopped selling cars and now just package finance deals.

Very interesting about the limitations in charging that you mention with the Taycans. I wasn't aware of this and causes me to feel quite happy with the decision taken.

My daily commute (just discussing with another poster) was over a fraction over 300 miles daily for many years. As it goes I'm pretty much done with that. Famous last words. But the future should see longer choice trips with less time pressures. But there are folks who do that every day. You see them at 5.15 am and often at 19.00 the tail end. A fast predictable rock solid charge at each end is essential if you don't want to spend life without AC and eco all the time. Which sort of defies the reason to buy a GT in the first place.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Well, certainly, if your situation really calls for the faster rate, then go for it. My point is that for most people, the 11 kW is perfectly fine. Reading through this thread made me look a little deeper into this area.

Maybe some of the confusion here has to do with the EV Platforms? The GT RS and Taycan are both built on the "J1" high performance EV platform that Posche and Audi share. it is an 800V platform, as opposed to the 400V "MLB evo" platform on which the standard Quattro etron is built. It may very well be that both the Taycan and GT can handle much higher AC charging rates (it lets them charge at 350V DC, compared with 150V DC) if the circuit is available (in the US any device--a charger, for example--attached to a 50V or higher circuit must be hardwired).

The limitation on the 11kW vs 22kW, I think, has to do mainly with the upcoming 2022 standard Quattro etron. It is built on the 400V MLB evo platform. In this case the "three-phase" requirement may come into play.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah. Porsche really messed up all their literature on this. Their published handbook/manual AND their online announcement literature actually states you need to order some type of “upgrade” to get the faster charging. I only found out when I was looking into the TeslaTap Mini adaptor so I didn’t have to install new wall chargers. There is a great thread from Taycan owners that show the actual screens in their car when plugged into the high powered Tesla Wall Chargers and their cars are charging at the higher charge speed.

I also think Audi wrote most of their announcements around the European spec vehicles and the USA side just republished it.

Anyhow, I guess I will see in thirty days. My RS comes off the assembly line on Friday so it’s getting closer!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, certainly, if your situation really calls for the faster rate, then go for it. My point is that for most people, the 11 kW is perfectly fine. Reading through this thread made me look a little deeper into this area.

Maybe some of the confusion here has to do with the EV Platforms? The GT RS and Taycan are both built on the "J1" high performance EV platform that Posche and Audi share. it is an 800V platform, as opposed to the 400V "MLB evo" platform on which the standard Quattro etron is built. It may very well be that both the Taycan and GT can handle much higher AC charging rates (it lets them charge at 350V DC, compared with 150V DC) if the circuit is available (in the US any device--a charger, for example--attached to a 50V or higher circuit must be hardwired).

The limitation on the 11kW vs 22kW, I think, has to do mainly with the upcoming 2022 standard Quattro etron. It is built on the 400V MLB evo platform. In this case the "three-phase" requirement may come into play.
I'm no expert but I think that's a spot on assessment, personal situ's aside.

It is definitely the 800v platform and this does affect charging times. Only reason I remember is because I was originally looking at the Ioniq 5 (actually only wanted/needed a workhorse) which I know was 800v and I somehow got distracted onto the more interesting GT via that 800v search.

Certainly here in the UK you absolutely have to have 3-phase to take any advantage of the 22kw charging, you are 100% correct.

I take the view that if you are stumping up £115k on a car then another £2.5k on the car port and in-house supply mod is neither here nor there for having the option. If I were spending £25k on a Renault EV then the proposition is much harder to arrive at.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah. Porsche really messed up all their literature on this. Their published handbook/manual AND their online announcement literature actually states you need to order some type of “upgrade” to get the faster charging. I only found out when I was looking into the TeslaTap Mini adaptor so I didn’t have to install new wall chargers. There is a great thread from Taycan owners that show the actual screens in their car when plugged into the high powered Tesla Wall Chargers and their cars are charging at the higher charge speed.

I also think Audi wrote most of their announcements around the European spec vehicles and the USA side just republished it.

Anyhow, I guess I will see in thirty days. My RS comes off the assembly line on Friday so it’s getting closer!
Man you light years ahead of me .... mine end of April/early May!

Would you have the link to that thread you mention above? Very interested in understanding more about that.

Many thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
Man you light years ahead of me .... mine end of April/early May!

Would you have the link to that thread you mention above? Very interested in understanding more about that.

Many thanks
Well dang … please forgive my idiocy … I may have to go back and edit my previous posts.

The entire Taycan thread was about the difference between 9kWh and 11kWh.

I so terribly sorry about the confusion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well dang … please forgive my idiocy … I may have to go back and edit my previous posts.

The entire Taycan thread was about the difference between 9kWh and 11kWh.

I so terribly sorry about the confusion.
No worries, have to say it's far from easy ploughing a line through this new stuff. Least I've found it complex but at the same time very interesting. Thanks for advising.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.