Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So just like Porsche did after releasing the taycan 4s and taycan turbo models, released a cheaper version and named it taycan, which has a RWD instead of AWD. do you think Audi has something similar in the pipeline? You think Audi is likely to release a cheaper Etron gt?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So just like Porsche did after releasing the taycan 4s and taycan turbo models, released a cheaper version and named it taycan, which has a RWD instead of AWD. do you think Audi has something similar in the pipeline? You think Audi is likely to release a cheaper Etron gt?
I seriously doubt it. Audi’s identity is very vested in Quattro.

·
Registered
2014 R8 V10 Cabriolet, 2015 RS7
52 Posts
yea but the need something to compete with the taycan. This directly competes with the taycsn 4s
No, they really don’t have to have something that competes with the Taycan RWD. The positioning of the GT at the top end of the etron lineup and among the RS7, R8, and S8 “cluster” in both style and performance is both the right spot and very different from Porsche. Why muck that up? Taycan RWD is Porsche’s cheapest electric, and the only one actually available in the real world below 100k. (I know the CT starts at 92k, but it’s almost impossible to keep it under 100k.) Audi has multiple BEV cars available well below that price, and the line is expanding rapidly. I see the A6 etron as the “cheap” version of the GT. The concept car is beautiful, will have even more tech, and could have greater range. A “Baby GT,” if you will.

And as @JC Mann said, Quattro is part of the identity. It’s not exclusive, but it’s darn close. That’s not the case with Porsche. Why sacrifice that tremendous everyday driving advantage and brand identity?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The R8 was released in a RWD version approx 10 years after first release. 4wd is far from an Audi exclusive these days - BMW and Mercedes have offered 4wd versions of their mid-sized saloons for many years now (Xdrive and 4matic)

What I find odd though is that there is no GT Avant version.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nobody said 4WD is an Audi exclusive. Quattro is, however, a brand identity, one that Audi tends to stick with strongly. The release of the R8 with RWD ten years after intro is pretty much the sort of exception that proves the rule. Nothing to do with being exclusive; it’s about identity. And what is odd about no GT Avant yet when the sedan isn’t even really on the streets yet? How long did it take for Taycan CT to show up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nobody said 4WD is an Audi exclusive. Quattro is, however, a brand identity, one that Audi tends to stick with strongly. The release of the R8 with RWD ten years after intro is pretty much the sort of exception that proves the rule. Nothing to do with being exclusive; it’s about identity. And what is odd about no GT Avant yet when the sedan isn’t even really on the streets yet? How long did it take for Taycan CT to show up?
You stated that Quattro was "darn close" to being exclusive. If you are referring to the brand name then sure it's exclusive as it's a registered trademark to Audi AG. If you are referring to the technology then quattro is far from exclusive - it may have been close to exclusive 30 years ago but no longer. There may be geographic variances but here in the UK I do not believe that quattro has a strong brand identity and makes up less than 10% of car sales on models like the A4 and A6 where it is available as an option. And I say that as a quattro owner. It may have something to do with the way the annual road tax is calculated here - 4wd = lower fuel economy = higher road tax, but could also be the relatively mild maritime climate. Most quattro variants will depreciate faster than a FWD equivalent (there are a few exceptions)

I know they are both built on the same platform but I'm not sure how relevant the Taycan comment is as it's a different car manufacturer with different values and history. Porsche are not synonymous with fast estates / wagons, although they recognised the opportunity with the Panamera Turismo and most recently with the CT, whereas Audi have been producing them for decades and the Avant versions normally follow the saloon within a few months. The reason I said I find it odd is that I know they would sell a bucket load of etron GT Avants here in the UK but from what I've read there is no plan to ever build one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You stated that Quattro was "darn close" to being exclusive. If you are referring to the brand name then sure it's exclusive as it's a registered trademark to Audi AG. If you are referring to the technology then quattro is far from exclusive - it may have been close to exclusive 30 years ago but no longer.
If I was grumpy, I would wonder if you were trying to pick a fight.;) The comments by both JC Mann and myself were quite clearly directed toward the fact that Quattro® is a huge part of Audi's brand identity. No need for silly straw man arguments about registered marks or 4WD exclusivity. Neither one off us was talking about 4WD capability. Nobody said that. Why presume that anyone on this forum would make such a statement? Many of us here are experienced Audi owners, including me. Why think that we might be so clueless as to think Audi has a monopoly on 4WD tech?

Granted, your and our perspectives may be very different here because of our locations. Here in the States, where our road taxes work differently, Quattro® is maybe a more pervasive element of the brand identity. They may even be synonymous. Your percentage stat about the UK strikes me as remarkable, but I accept it—learn something new every day—and would then agree that Quattro® as a brand identity may not be as critical in UK. But it doesn't really change my viewpoint that Quattro® is an important part of Audi's higher end cars generally. And please, let's not pretend that the A3/4 market is the same as the GT market; it's not. So, even if the significance of Quattro® may be different in different territories, I'm not sure that's dispositive of the likelihood that Audi would lower the entry to the GT segment by offering a Taycan-esque RWD [which is how this started]. Your perspective differs I guess, and I respect that. But please, don't distort our words or obvious meaning just for the sake of argument.
I know they are both built on the same platform but I'm not sure how relevant the Taycan comment is as it's a different car manufacturer with different values and history. Porsche are not synonymous with fast estates / wagons, although they recognised the opportunity with the Panamera Turismo and most recently with the CT, whereas Audi have been producing them for decades and the Avant versions normally follow the saloon within a few months.
It's relevant because the OP stated it as the basis for his question. Read above. I didn't bring up the Taycan. He did. Porsche has two model years with the Taycan before announcing the CT. It's simply not comparable. And I actually agree with you: they are two very different car companies with very different DNA. Drawing direct comparisons is overly simplistic. But drawing comparisons of some sort should not be surprising.
The reason I said I find it odd is that I know they would sell a bucket load of etron GT Avants here in the UK but from what I've read there is no plan to ever build one.
The sedan isn't even on the road yet, which all I said is response to the notion of "odd." All I have read or been told is that they haven't announced one yet. That's it. I have yet to hear Audi say there won't be one. Maybe I missed it. As to whether they will sell a "bucket load," let's find out how the sedan does first.

Not trying to be a smarta$$ here, but you spent a lot of time interpreting my post to say something it never did and then defending that straw man. It was unnecessary. Nobody ever said Audi had an exclusive on 4WD. Ever. You simply could not reasonably interpret what anyone wrote here to mean that. But I understand better how the Quattro® brand might not mean the same thing everywhere. And I appreciate that education. Cheers! 🍻

1 - 9 of 9 Posts