Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I believe just like anything with lithium ion batteries, they deteriorate over time, so will the case be with the Etron batteries. I’m curious to know, for those of you who have had it for a few years now, how much has the battery deteriorated over time and how long has it been? What would you say percentage wise it deteriorates every year?
p.s by deterioration I mean it gives less miles now ( with the same amount of charge) than what it gave in the first year of the car.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I got my 2019 etron SUV (EPA rated 204mi) in Dec 2019. I signed up for the RecurrentAuto study. Their estmates for range at Full SOC at 76F have been:
Jan 200mi
Feb 195
Mar 199
Apr 200
May 211.

I must be living right!

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
61 Posts
It is hard to measure small changes. Recharge test is probably the best way, Use a charging station that records the energy delivered. About 10% charging loss, subtract that.I got an answer of about 80kWh... In my 2019 about a 0% to 5% loss as of a few months ago.
GOM estimates are likely to show a seasonal cycle, and vary a lot for reasons that have nothing to do with battery condition.

Reactions: Joe

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is hard to measure small changes. Recharge test is probably the best way, Use a charging station that records the energy delivered. About 10% charging loss, subtract that.I got an answer of about 80kWh... In my 2019 about a 0% to 5% loss as of a few months ago.
GOM estimates are likely to show a seasonal cycle, and vary a lot for reasons that have nothing to do with battery condition.
Yes, measuring recharge capacity is one approach. Jaguar provided me with a state of health report when I first bought my I-Pace. It showed a % of health (0-100%) for each of the 36 cell groups. However even there the data was prone to error. The car may have been sitting on the lot for months (1 year in my case!) and until you went through a few discharge/charge cycles the data was only an approximation.

Using the GoM can be deceiving as you’ll see an ‘apparent’ increase in battery health as you go from winter to the warmer months. This means little as you’ll see the exact opposite going from the warm months to the colder months. A better comparison (which would be close to impossible) would be to compare range over a few years under the exact driving conditions, on exactly the same roads, following the exact same driving history for several days, and with the same weather conditions.

Beyond this precision, the owner gets a ‘feel’ for how their range has been trending. I knew my Tesla MS had lost about 6-10% of its range over my 3 years of ownership. It’s inevitable, no currently used battery technology escapes it, deterioration is going to happen. How much is the question and that will vary from case to case.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yes, seasonal cycles are a problem. This why in the RecurrentAuto program the data is being aggregated over time both for the individual time and for similar vehicles with the goal of getting trends based on how far the vehicle actually goes on a full SOC. The idea is to average out ambient and cabin conditions. Recharge test is another useful point, but just another indicator. A lot is still unknown about EV batteries in the wild. We do know that the total charging capacity will degrade over time; however, discharge efficiency can also degrade. The only true way to measure battery health that is useful to the driver, ideally, is to Charge it to "full" and see how far it goes under standard conditions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
so I believe just like anything with lithium ion batteries, they deteriorate over time, so will the case be with the Etron batteries. I’m curious to know, for those of you who have had it for a few years now, how much has the battery deteriorated over time and how long has it been? What would you say percentage wise it deteriorates every year?
p.s by deterioration I mean it gives less miles now ( with the same amount of charge) than what it gave in the first year of the car.
Seasonal variation in efficiency is one thing affecting range, another is the gradual degradation in battery performance.

Assessing this gradual change will be nigh on impossible given that Audi appear to have made a portion of the e-tron's batteries' capacity initially unavailable. The intention appears to be to gradually make it available as the batteries degrade so that the customer doesn't notice degradation.

References: Driving Electric - Audi e-tron range, battery and charging
and: e-tron Forum - E-Tron Battery lifespan

I say' nigh on impossible'... I don't know if access to the car's workings via VCBS(?) will instantly reveal what the car's doing.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Seasonal variation in efficiency is one thing affecting range, another is the gradual degradation in battery performance.

Assessing this gradual change will be nigh on impossible given that Audi appear to have made a portion of the e-tron's batteries' capacity initially unavailable. The intention appears to be to gradually make it available as the batteries degrade so that the customer doesn't notice degradation.

References: Driving Electric - Audi e-tron range, battery and charging
and: e-tron Forum - E-Tron Battery lifespan

I say' nigh on impossible'... I don't know if access to the car's workings via VCBS(?) will instantly reveal what the car's doing.
I don't think that is Audi's intention. I think the upper and lower buffers will remain with the intent of protecting the integrity of the battery. They may be tightened a bit as more real world data becomes available. For any used EV you might buy, be sure to get a topnotch battery warranty.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
795 Posts
I don't know if access to the car's workings via VCBS(?) will instantly reveal what the car's doing.
VCDS does not show much in terms of battery, just the control modules as shown below. One would likely have to dig into the control modules independently and see what shows up. On my ever growing list of items to explore

Code:
Address 8C: Hybrid Battery (J840)       Labels: None
   Part No SW: 4KE 915 233 F    HW: 4KE 915 233 B
   Component: BMC_MLBCBEV   H15 0231 
   ASAM Dataset: EV_BECM0842071 001004
   ROD: EV_BECM0842071_VW53.rod
   VCID: 41DF405A110A0EB3C0D-8014

Battery interrupt switch:
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4KE 915 250 C    HW: 4KE 915 250 B
   Component: BJB_MLBBEV  H12 0369

Cell module control module 1:
   Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 4KE 915 215     HW: 4KE 915 215