Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe that there are 432 cells (12 cells per module x 36 modules) and 4 cells form a group = 108 cell groups. With 33% drop in range, I suspect that 36 cell groups (144 cells or 12 modules) are bad.
I follow your math, but this is not how battery capacities are affected when multiple cells are connected in series. One bad cell in a series connection has a much larger than linear impact on the system. Could very easily be one bad cell group (much more likely than your vehicle had 1/3 of its cells go bad in a year).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Yeah. In my case, one cell was bad taking down everything. I probably had 110 miles range. When the cell was repaired, it went to 220

·
Registered
5 Posts
That does make sense. I was able to achieve 125 miles from a full charge by dealer (target set to 100% by dealer) and with 25% battery remaining (didn't want to go below 25%). The average consumption was 2.3 miles/kwh (or 43.5 kwh/100 miles). I believe that this consumption is within 6% of Audi's consumption # used to determine the 204 mile range (83.6 kWh x 2.44 = 204 miles). Thus, I should have been able to achieve around 144 miles (2.3 miles/kwh x 83.6 kWh x 75%) IF there was truly 25% charge remaining.

The next full charge (100% target) indicated a range of 126 miles. Hence, I think we know that the range indicator is not correct or accurate for some unknown reason. It did seem strange that the battery was fully charged in about 5 and half hours. For example, 75% charge should be 62.7 kWh and we charge at less than 10 kW per hour (saw 8.5 kWh on app). We have a 240V/50A circuit but I've never really kept track of this charging time. This is all very strange behavior. Hmmm... I will log more miles and battery% for the next tank of electrons. Anything else to investigate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Sounds low to me, but if the battery cell is bad it is going to get worse. Mine degraded a lot. So just keep riding it until the delta gets very obvious.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I think we found the problem. The car indicated fully charged and charging complete via Audi App, and charging shut off. But we left it plugged in and the car started to charge on it's own sometime overnight. When we checked the dash, it indicated 82% charged and 2hr 52 mins remaining and 167 mile range. Thus, the car is not actually reaching 100% charge but "thinks" it has and shuts off. This also happened to the Audi dealership, when they charged it to 100% and it indicated 130 miles. They were unable to complete charging too but thought they did. It's not my charging outlet but the car indicating full when it's not. I'm glad that we finally identified the problem. Now, I just need to convince Audi that the car has a charging problem. I wonder if anyone else with low range has seen this charging anomaly?? Will keep you posted on solution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Interesting. Would be a better problem than bad cells. However, from my experience, when you have a bad cell, the car substantially reduces its charging. I would go from 50% to 100% in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am only getting 157 miles at 100% and have the climate control turned off as well as heated seats etc. Very disappointed! For over £70k I wish I’d bought a second hand Bentayga and waited another couple of years before trusting an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also- this all started after my car came back from the dealership where it was having updates. The Audi USA rep told me one update was for an issue with the Boost. Did anyone else start seeing this battery issue after recently taking the vehicle in for updates or other work?
What is your software Version?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting. Would be a better problem than bad cells. However, from my experience, when you have a bad cell, the car substantially reduces its charging. I would go from 50% to 100% in about 2 hours.
Did you get your car back? Is everything work fine since then?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For some reasons this forum is blocking this post. This will be my third attempt. I am wondering if it has the picture I am trying to attach.

I had posted this on the Audi E-tron owners club on facebook, but thought this would be helpful. I purchased my E-tron CPO about 3 months ago with 1650 miles. I was surprised by the range (lack of) despite this being my fourth electric vehicle, and having driven over 200,000 miles in electric cars. In short, I know how range works, and I know how to drive to maximize range. Until this car, I had always been well above EPA range.

Anyway, about a month ago I noticed the estimated range really dropping off a cliff. At first I thought it was all my short trip driving artificially driving down the range. This car definitely performs more efficient on the highway as opposed to around the town. My 80% charge range started (when I got the car) in the 180s. It had dropped to around 125 miles. 100% charge was around 160. So I started tests, charging the car to 100%. I would take longer drives and then compute what my state of charge SHOULD be based on my efficiency (miles per kWh), and what the car MEASURED when I stopped. It was off substantially. Most recently, I took a trip that was around 75 miles. My average efficiency was 3. miles per kWh. That should net me around 250 miles on a full tank (or 125 miles at 50% state of charge). At 50% state of charge, I had only driven the 75 miles. So I had lost 100 miles of range.

Someone on the forum stated they had also had their problem, and noticed a great indicator that you can pay attention to in order to see this problem. I had not noticed it.

1) Your power gauge will NOT read 100%. Mine has diminished to something in the 80% range.
2) Boost mode will NOT power up past 100%, or won't move at all. In my case, boost mode is unavailable.

I have attached a picture.

I have an appointment on Monday to have this looked at. No clue how long she will be out of service.
This happened to me. Eventually traded it in and they bought it back from me. They could not fix the issue. Really unfortunate because I loved the car when it worked. It lasted 4 months before the range dropped to over 80 miles with a full charge and over 100 miles with climate control on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is your software Version?
Mine was at 80% full capacity and after the updates it dropped to 60%. They told me it would fix the battery issues I was having, but in the end the car kept losing range. Had give the care back as 120 miles was not sufficient for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am only getting 157 miles at 100% and have the climate control turned off as well as heated seats etc. Very disappointed! For over £70k I wish I’d bought a second hand Bentayga and waited another couple of years before trusting an electric vehicle.
Hi, You are lucky you are getting 157 miles of Range. I am hardly getting 133 miles without any heating or any specific functions. Its a brand new car and I am utterly disappointed. I have called Audi and they threw me say to the dealership and as per dealership, most of the customers have the same issues but they cant do anything.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
136 Posts
We’re mixing metric and imperial but your range estimate is still very low, even for EPA.
Your efficiency (kWh per 100 km) sounds about right - but check with the government rating. If you are hitting the efficiency number and the range estimate is low the battery might have a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's about 2.3 miles/kWh x 88.3 kWh (if 100% charged) = 204 miles. You either have a bad cell or it's not charging fully (but indicating that it is fully charged). You might want to closely log your miles/kWh or km/kWh for each trip.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts