Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My wife and I took delivery of a brand new 2021 E-Tron Prestige yesterday afternoon. It is a gorgeous vehicle and drives wonderfully. We particularly like the HUD and the massage seats. Everything about the car is solid and pretty.

I took it home and plugged it into a home charger that I have used successfully with my 2014 Chevy Volt for years. Sadly, it never started charging. Just sat there with the white LED flashing endlessly.

Of course, you know what happened next. Because it was in the initializing phase, it couldn’t be stopped and because it couldn’t be stopped, the charge cable was locked to the car. Luckily we were briefed at the dealership about the emergency yellow pull tab to release the charge cable lock under the hood.

So, charge cable disconnected, I power cycled the charger and tried again. Same thing. Stuck flashing white and still initializing. I tried the other charging port. Nope. OK, maybe there’s something wrong with my charger. So, I pull out the Audi travel charger that came with the car. Find a plug that works, everything green on the charging brick. Plug that cable into the car. Nope. Same thing. Other port, same thing. Getting worried now.

I decide then to drive over to a friend’s house, who has deep EV experience and multiple charging apparati. We tried with a Tesla charger (with a TeslaTap adapter). Nope. Tried with a Porsche Taycan charger. Nope. We even drove over to an Electrify America DC fast charger. Nope.

Total fail. It’s the car. I’m sad, but the car still has 99 miles of range, so it should make it back to the dealership.

Still, I love the car. Once Audi fixes me up, I’m sure things will be fine, but definitely not a great first day experience.

-Nick

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
If you have both charging ports on the vehicle, I assume you have tried both with the same result?

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
I would assume that the car was tested before it was handed off, but I guess it was not. Strange things happen :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would assume that the car was tested before it was handed off, but I guess it was not. Strange things happen :(
Well, it’s back at the dealership waiting for the techs to get back on Tuesday and I’ll be asking them what they actually tested prior to delivering me the car when they finally fix it. I actually considered testing the charging during my test drive, but failed to do so.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
That is the one thing that I honestly dread about electric cars. I guess the anxiety will wear off once it is good and done and confirmed to be working correctly over time.

All the best and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
That's frustrating. e-tron has some weird charging software. The timer mode has been known to put some EVSEs in an on/off loop.

·
Registered
2019 e-tron prestige
279 Posts
There's also a disconnect between service and HQ. They just do not know enough about the car. I think they are simply not training their service centers on EVs outside of a very basic level. Mine did not know the difference between DC charging and the onboard AC charger.

Hopefully they are able to resolve this quickly.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
61 Posts
Li ion batteries are usually shipped at 30% or so charge for safety reasons. Every new EV I've touched was at that level before delivery, including my eTron. So I'd guess the car charged the first time, at the dealer, at least.

Electronic failures follow a bathtub curve. Failure rate the first few hours is high, then drops down over days and stays low for a long time. Until wear out processes start making it rise again.

Reactions: nbrosnahan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: So, I got a text from the Audi sales guy that sold me the car, and they managed to get it charging somehow, but it only went from 17% up to 42%, where it stopped. I know this from the remote app information, but I have no other information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE 2: Audi fixed me up.

"Verified the concern, follow technical service bulletin: 2061788/1
scan for code and found:
P1A3500: Fast battery charging (DC) Malfunction in
Performed software updated for charging control module
Clear code and retest charging working normally"

They applied a software update to the charging system and now it's all better.
I'll say though, that it takes real balls to ship an electric car from the factory that requires a SWU to charge properly.

We'll see if it is happy over time.

·
Registered
2019 Edition One
796 Posts
I am just waiting for ID.4 to start taking deliveries to see how that software suffers updates and breakdowns. Looking at how buggy it has been, etron by comparison is the image of stability and perfection :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE 4: So, I'm now satisfied that the car charges properly in various contexts:
  1. Charging at home with 32A J1772 charger.
  2. Charging at a snail's pace with the included Audi travel charger (standard power outlet).
  3. Charging with a CCS EA charger at a 150kW station. **** that's fast. Did about 145kW during the session.
  4. Charging with a TeslaTap adapter at a Tesla destination charger.
Yay!

Still need to find a NEMA 14-50 outlet somewhere to try with the travel charger, but I'm happy now.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
24 Posts

scan for code and found:

I'll say though, that it takes real balls to ship an electric car from the factory that requires a SWU to charge properly.

Have you seen Volvo issues? I think what should have been my car is up to 3 OTA updates so far. Should be getting my e-tron this weekend as long as it gets delivered. Will have them update software.

·
Registered
2021 e-tron Prestige
24 Posts

scan for code and found:

Thanks for the heads up and the bulletin # - my e-tron just got to dealer and I already sent him the bulletin number.
Have to get the car from CT to NJ so will need a functioning charge controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting thread as Day 2 of my ownership on Sunday went just like this and I also used the yellow pull....but it broke away. The charging port wouldn't release leaving me stuck for over an hour talking to Audi roadside that was of no help stating that they could tow me to the nearest dealership. Not sure how that works when the car is attached to a charging station. Found another work around by pulling 2 fuses that allowed the latch to release.

As of tomorrow they'll have it for 3 days and I was informed that it needed a software update that it should have received prior to delivery and to fix the pull they will need to remove at least the driver's side door. So nothing like a brand new car being torn apart and put back together. Can't wait for the rattles/squeaks. I'm going to inquire as to exactly which TSB was completed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts