Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New member here coming from Tesla. About to take delivery of a 2019 Prestige from out of state. I'll be driving it from OH to IL. Any advice on the best route planner?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Hi there!

If you can, it would be good to get the MyAudi app setup and register the vehicle to yourself as the owner, before you leave. New or used, you may still have the free 1,000kW of charging via Electrify America. Which is enabled via the Audi app.

Otherwise, "A Better Routeplanner" is always a great resource for any EV route planning. Then you can find the best chargers along your route (plus, a backup option) and make sure you download and set up the appropriate apps, such as EVGo, PlugShare, ChargePoint, etc.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Should be a fun trip. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Does the MyAudi app route you to the fast chargers by default on a route that is approx. 400 miles? I was hoping for an experience similar to Tesla if you will, whereby you enter a destination and the map will route you to superchargers as opposed to destination chargers along the way. It looks like this car would take quite some time fill up on a slower charge.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thanks. Does the MyAudi app route you to the fast chargers by default on a route that is approx. 400 miles? I was hoping for an experience similar to Tesla if you will, whereby you enter a destination and the map will route you to superchargers as opposed to destination chargers along the way. It looks like this car would take quite some time fill up on a slower charge.
Yep. It seems to get confused on super-long routes but just ran a quick route example in the app.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A lot of us like the PlugShare app. One nice feature is the 'check ins' that let others know a charger is working (or not).

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
Hi,

New member here coming from Tesla. About to take delivery of a 2019 Prestige from out of state. I'll be driving it from OH to IL. Any advice on the best route planner?

Thanks.

Well Ill ask if nobody else will! So please tell me why you moved from Tesla to the Etron... Most Tesla owners are Tesla for life (But all complain about panel gaps!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, great question here is my story. I'm coming off a 2017 Model S lease. The lease was very attractive - $7,500 federal rebate along with a showroom discount of around $11,500. The car drives great but the wife and 9 yr old son don't like being in the car since it's so low to the ground. Being a 3 year old car, the computer take a few minutes to boot up. So I would sometimes be ready to drive off, only to have to wait for the car to actually start. I normally would move to the Model Y but, yes, like you said, not only are there panel gap issues, but also paint issues, service center issues, etc. From what I also gather (being a member on the Tesla forums) there are more people rejecting delivery each day. The pictures these people post of a new car, is quite scary. Also not a big fan of not having a center display and not having a sunroof.

I came across the e-tron while doing a simple search for electric car. I honestly had no idea Audi even made a fully electric car. In the Chicago area deals were quite scarce. I received a great deal for a Prestige from a dealer in OH, hence my posts about driving from there back to Chicago. I have a Tesla high power charger in my garage. I ran 100 amps but only using 60 amps since the Tesla uses 48. I bought a Tesla to J1772 adapter to prepare to charge more at home. Charging at home my Tesla would get 36 mi/hr. Not sure what he typical mi/hr is for home charging that you all have seen. I believe I can keep the amps set to 60 for the e-tron, but not sure.

I do like the Prestige cameras. To some extent, those cameras and the view are better than my S. I do like that huge taillight (when its working) and daytime running lights design. The trunk is huge and it seems very spacious. The one area I do need to acclimated to is the regen. Tesla's immediately brake (newer ones come to a full stop) when one lifts their foot off the accelerator. In this car I had to hit those paddle shifters to the max, but that didn't really even slow the car down as much as a Tesla would. Can't wait to see the car at night and see the ambient lighting.

I appreciate all the help thus far. It will be good to continue to share my story.

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
That’s a great write up. Now I have a further question for you’ If you don’t mind. So if the model X was in budget where would you be today? I think the X is more inline with the Etron than a Y and gives you the centre screen, which i agree is better. It will be a shame when / if they push the new interior out to the X and S.
Don’t worry about the regen braking you will get used to it very quickly. Daft question but did you know you can set the regen braking to be always on max? Just hit the left paddle twice to setting number two and then don’t use them again and it will stay there. It’s close to Tesla in stopping but still not full stop. I actually came from Tesla and I found it weird at first but now I much prefer it more options at the flick of a switch! Literally. I drove a friends model x last week and going back was even stranger. It felt like the car had the handbrake on all the time.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
You can also use the brake pedal normally, and it will regen for you. No need for paddles unless you feel like it. The physical brakes will only kick in after 0.3g of braking force. So that would be light braking to see more regen. Just watch the instrument cluster and you can see what it's doing.

I'd also suggest checking the automatic regen setting. It will use some regen when it expects stopping it needed. Like at an intersection or getting too close to a vehicle in front. Works best with navigation.

See page 90 in the online manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good discussion here.

@etronukowner Nice to see another Tesla owner here. If the X was within price range, I think yes, by default, I would have jumped into that. It's higher in size than the S and the 3 and those falcon doors are pretty neat, and it does have the center screen. When I took the e-tron for a test drive the salesperson mentioned there would be a default setting to maximize the regen. I had no idea I can keep a default. In all honestly I think I was just adjusting it up and down per salespersons directions. I'm left handed so it was a bonus to see the decrease paddle on the left. To keep a default is right where I would want to be. Thanks for the tip.

@omegafiler Great info. Thanks. I think I read here about how regen works better with the NAV, but I think I also read some interesting comments on the NAV - maybe about gas stations. I had asked another question in an Android Auto thread just to make sure it was available. Do more of you use Android/Apple or just the default NAV? I would hope that the built in NAV would allow you to select charging stations along the way once a destinations is entered, or optimally route you to save time, but I don't know if that is the case. It sounds like maybe the 3rd party apps or MyAudi have a better handle on it. Huge Google fan so to see Android Auto is another plus coming from Tesla. Heck the wifes Acura has it 🤔

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
Do more of you use Android/Apple or just the default NAV? I would hope that the built in NAV would allow you to select charging stations along the way once a destinations is entered, or optimally route you to save time, but I don't know if that is the case.

I personally use the Etron built in Nav and yes mine does suggest charge points on the route if the journey is beyond its full range / out of range. I can also set up a "Journey" on the my Audi app and then it also adds in charge points if required. I then select the route and send the "Journey" to the car via the app. When I get in the car I go into the nav and select the "Journey" I sent from the app which with black magic is there!

You can also search for a charge station when on a route and just add it in as a stop.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
@omegafiler Great info. Thanks. I think I read here about how regen works better with the NAV, but I think I also read some interesting comments on the NAV - maybe about gas stations. I had asked another question in an Android Auto thread just to make sure it was available. Do more of you use Android/Apple or just the default NAV? I would hope that the built in NAV would allow you to select charging stations along the way once a destinations is entered, or optimally route you to save time, but I don't know if that is the case. It sounds like maybe the 3rd party apps or MyAudi have a better handle on it. Huge Google fan so to see Android Auto is another plus coming from Tesla. Heck the wifes Acura has it 🤔
Yep, as etronukowner and others have noted, the built-in NAV is pretty good. Especially if you are on the trial or paying for Audi Connect services, that provide google search, live traffic, weather, etc. So far, I've found directions to be fairly comparable to Google Maps, except you have the added benefit of being fully integrated into the vehicle (e.g. HUD directions and map on 2 additional screens) automatic charging station stops, and that sweet looking earth view in the instrument cluster.

Although I've used Google Maps and Waze via Android Auto for many years, in many vehicles. You'll just need to plan your own route, including EV stops if needed. On the plus side, Google Maps now has a Plug Type filter when searching for EV Charging Stations.

I'm still testing all of this out. But so far, I've basically got the instrument cluster in the larger view mode for NAV. Directions in the HUD, of course. And the main MMI screen is used for music playback. I also keep Waze open in the background, and it will verbally notify you of upcoming traffic, obstacles, cops, etc. You don't even need to have Waze set for directions (most cars only let you use one source of guidance anyways). Then I can still quickly switch back to Waze if I need to report something.

And I do like using the app to plan my route as well. Once it's all planned out, send it to the vehicle, and off you go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there!

If you can, it would be good to get the MyAudi app setup and register the vehicle to yourself as the owner, before you leave. New or used, you may still have the free 1,000kW of charging via Electrify America. Which is enabled via the Audi app.

Otherwise, "A Better Routeplanner" is always a great resource for any EV route planning. Then you can find the best chargers along your route (plus, a backup option) and make sure you download and set up the appropriate apps, such as EVGo, PlugShare, ChargePoint, etc.

Congrats and welcome to the forum! Should be a fun trip. ;)
Question: I have the 1000Kw from EA when I bought my car in January and have only used it once. Is it possible for me to have someone else charge their etron on my "account"? What would they need to activate the pump, is it anyuthing physical, or is it just typing in VIN? Thanks. Hoping, like the OP, I could just give them a "fill up" if someone is stuck. Wondering of the pitfalls

·
Registered
6 Posts
Question: I have the 1000Kw from EA when I bought my car in January and have only used it once. Is it possible for me to have someone else charge their etron on my "account"? What would they need to activate the pump, is it anyuthing physical, or is it just typing in VIN? Thanks. Hoping, like the OP, I could just give them a "fill up" if someone is stuck. Wondering of the pitfalls
I don't believe the EA network has any knowledge of your cars VIN. It operates like a gas pump. If you use your MyAudi app to activate a charger and then plug it into someone elses car, it will debit those charging kWh from your balance. You shouldn't even need to be there, if someone called you and told you the charging station number and had you activate it remotely, it should work. I haven't tried it, but it's not at all like the Tesla network where the charger has to exchange identity data with the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

Thanks.
Thanks for starting this thread. I can't wait to hear all about your trek!

Like etronukowner and omegafiler, my preference is the built-in NAV using the myAudi app to locate charging stations on my route. However, seven months in, I'm still using Audi's complimentary 1000kW from Electrify America. So I've been using the Electrify America app (free) which links me back to Google Maps for directions*. The map on EA's app is not very good. But at least the information is pretty accurate when locating a 150kW charger. Tip: zoom into the map to get more detailed information.

* (on iOS) after finding your station, EA's app offers directions with an app link back to Apple Maps, Google Maps, or Waze.

On long trips, I've been taking the extra step of calling EA prior to making the trek and asking them if the station I'm planning on stopping though is undergoing or anticipating any charger software updates. These updates will reduce power from 150kW to <50kW, thus impacting charging time and delaying arrival time. This occurred on a trip last month (Aug 2020) from New York to Washington D.C. Nonetheless, EA's support team is knowledgeable and helpful so I didn't have issues getting though to a live EA rep. Let's hope it stays that way for a while.

Here's a good article from insideEVs.com (Jan 2, 2020) interviewing with CEO Giovanni Palazzo and COO Brendan Jones from EA.

Safe travels!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I enjoyed reading through all these comments. Last year drove from Northern California to Central Coast and not one EA charger was in place. Then, using the vehicle suggestion, it took me to a charger that was turned off because the business owner felt he was being ripped off. Got down to 30 miles range.

I'll check out the apps. I like the idea of knowing the charger is working or not. Also, super frustrating to pull into a grocery store, see the EV Go charger and a pick up truck is there. Now, I always keep my charger in my car for any longer trips, just in case I need to plug into a wall socket. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@Lumas - Good idea to call EA support team to make sure chargers are in working order. I did read an article that stated all EA chargers were shut down on the east coast corridor with no advance notice leaving a lot of EV owners stranded. I think I'll follow yours and @omegafiler set up in the car regarding navigation set up using Android. The plan is not to go below 20% on the road unless I'm close to my home, and to only use the 150 kw chargers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Few last questions/concerns I have before flying out of state and driving back. I am trying to determine the best optimal route given it looks like a charger is down in Lafayette IN. My route would have taken me up that corridor.

Has anyone used the charger in Mishawaka IN? It has a low score on PlugShare but it does look like an e-tron charged there recently. I was attempting to avoid chargers that had issues or a low score given I have to detour. If I can leave OH and travel northwest, I would ideally only have to charge twice, once at Blue Heron and again at Mishawaka. 7 hour drive. I'm giving myself plenty of range as well in case I travel high speed/use AC, etc. Here is a screen capture of the proposed route.

I'm packing a change of clothes just in case. Forecast is nothing but rain all weekend on the route I'm traveling. Fingers crossed.

Screenshot 2020-09-11 at 12.15.14 PM.png

·
Registered
19 Posts
Few last questions/concerns I have before flying out of state and driving back. I am trying to determine the best optimal route given it looks like a charger is down in Lafayette IN. My route would have taken me up that corridor.

Has anyone used the charger in Mishawaka IN? It has a low score on PlugShare but it does look like an e-tron charged there recently. I was attempting to avoid chargers that had issues or a low score given I have to detour. If I can leave OH and travel northwest, I would ideally only have to charge twice, once at Blue Heron and again at Mishawaka. 7 hour drive. I'm giving myself plenty of range as well in case I travel high speed/use AC, etc. Here is a screen capture of the proposed route.

I'm packing a change of clothes just in case. Forecast is nothing but rain all weekend on the route I'm traveling. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 572
Good luck and be sure to post details about your road trip! I think you've given yourself good range between the stops; as long as PlugShare doesn't indicate either of those charging stations being under repair or someone having reported a broken charger, you should be fine. I would advise you to find out what charging network both your stops are with (EA, Chargepoint, EVGO, etc) and ensure you have those apps downloaded on your phone, and accounts with payment set up prior - you don't want to arrive at a charging station and have to waste additional time on top of your charge session trying to set up payment/accounts. If both stops are EA, you simply plug in the charger, let it initialize, and then in your Audi app, select "start EA Charger" and type in the charger ID. Wish you a safe and pleasant journey

1 - 20 of 22 Posts