Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
@Lumas - Good idea to call EA support team to make sure chargers are in working order. I did read an article that stated all EA chargers were shut down on the east coast corridor with no advance notice leaving a lot of EV owners stranded. I think I'll follow yours and @omegafiler set up in the car regarding navigation set up using Android. The plan is not to go below 20% on the road unless I'm close to my home, and to only use the 150 kw chargers.
Not all, but certainly a more than just a few. At the time, our guess was probably because of the tropical storm that passed through the NYC / southern NJ area. But apparently it was the ongoing software updates on specific Phase I stations (article from June 2019).

In the NY/NJ area, IMO, EA is probably still the most reliable equipment/network offering ~150kW charging. Hopefully, the dealership extends that complimentary 1000kW from EA and you can try out their stations. I'm curious to see what your thoughts are on EA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update - the trip was fantastic. I honestly don't know if I would have been as comfortable in my 3 yr old S for a 400+ mile trip. This car rides so much nicer than my S. I have no regrets so far.

The only real hang up I had was at the dealership trying to download the MyAudi app. I used 2 gmail addresses to no avail, then, when I tried my work email, it went through. Basically the authentication kept failing on the app even after setting up a new profile. Once that was corrected, I was guided on how to use the app for charging. My route only included EA chargers since I wanted to charge fast and quick. I lost about 30 minutes at the dealer trying to get this to work. I didn't want to leave without the App knowing that I had free charging from EA to use. With that said, the charge costs where somewhat high, but in perspective, I don't pay for supercharging with Tesla so I can't compare per se.

One lesson I did learn, was not to trust the EA directions using Google Maps via the App. In other words, when I clicked the Blue Heron charging station to get directions from the App, I was routed to Blue Heron via GPS coordinates and not an address. When I arrived at Blue Heron via a back road, the charging stations were on a side not accessible from my location. So, while I was routed to 50 feet of the station, it was literally fenced off from me. Long story short, I had to travel 15 more miles to get back on the OH turnpike to get to the charger. More reason to always leave a buffer on range. Lesson here is to plug the EA address into the Google Maps App to make sure the route is optimized.

Regarding charging, I had no issues with charging at the first station - Blue Heron. The fact that this car can get a full charge so quickly, is another benefit I love. Last time traveling in my S, the time it took to go from 90% to 100% is almost 25 minutes or so. I can only imagine Tesla owners love this. After I left Blue Heron I traveled to Mishawaka. Little did I know there was shooting there a few hours earlier as the mall lot was taped off with police tape. As I was charging the car, believe it or not, I saw the body come out covered in white sheet. This made me think, what would happen if the chargers were also taped off? :unsure:

When I looked at the stats today from the App, it's tough to make sense of what I'm seeing. I know I didn't travel 20 hours. Range estimates during the trip were spot on. I am a little confused on how the car could say there is 236 or so range when at 100% if there really is 202 or so. Has anyone ever gone over the 202 range in optimal conditions?

Here are some random photos. Looking forward to sharing more of my experiences and contributing to this community. Thanks all!

MVIMG_20200912_203459.jpg IMG_20200912_170017.jpg IMG_20200912_175451.jpg IMG_20200912_171842.jpg Screenshot_20200913-090520.png

21 - 22 of 22 Posts