Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking through the post and looking for best etron charging practices. I do charge with a NEMA14/50 at home and I only work 6 miles from my home. I could conceivably charge once every week and wouldn’t let the charge get TOO low...or is it like I read about a Tesla...better to plug in every night to 80% no matter the state of charge.

Any thoughts? Experience? Or is there a thread discussing this?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Audi, and most EV manufactures, suggest 80% max charge for daily use, and 100% for long trips. Frequent charging, especially high voltage charger (e.g., DC fast charge), will increase battery wear and reduce its life. But Level 2 home chargers are much slower, generally not a problem.

There isn't much else I've read from Audi, at least not officially. Generally speaking, it's best to avoid keeping the battery either empty or fully charged. Hence the 80% recommendation. Also keeping in mind Audi, in particular, doesn't give you full use of the 95kWH battery anyways.

I'd say best not to worry about it too much beyond those general guidelines. ;)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Do you plug in every night no matter the charge?
We have two EVs and there will only be one 40amp Wall Charger. So by design, at least one vehicle will not be on the charger. Which is perfectly fine for either battery. And if you have a charge limit set, it won't hurt to leave it plugged in.

We don't drive a ton, so a single charger is more than enough for us. As in most situations, we could just charge them once a week or so. Although I'd rather keep them in a higher state of charge... just in case. Then if we have an unexpected trip, there's plenty of range. Or we could just top off with the L2 charger.

So at least unless Audi released further guidelines, I'd just go with standard battery health practices.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have similar low usage and tend to charge at home overnight around once a week or so depending on use. From ~50% to 80% only takes about 3-4 hours on my charger and I haven’t had any range problems develop after >1 year ownership. Maybe from time to time it’s worth running down to around 20% to gauge how far you have left in the tank should you be on a journey and find yourself distant from a charger. But running the car below 20% causes higher current draw than at higher charge levels.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input and sharing your experience. That makes sense. It seems with doing that type of charging in addition to the buffer Audi builds in...it leaves the battery in the middle...the sweet spot. I don’t feel any stress or anxiety about what best to do, but being new to electric I want to be sure to establish new healthy habits. 👍🏻

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is the resource I have used to decide my charging habits

I generally charge at about 20% and limit it to 80%, which for me is a charge every other week or so. I have DC charged 4 times since getting the Etron in December; for those trips I set it to 100% charge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just read the article you shared. Thanks for including...that really was a great read. Technical, but not TOO much...definitely a user friendly way to understand the process. It seems keeping the SOC @ 20% low, 80% high will be the best practice based on data. Plus with Audi’s already instituted buffer in the control unit...that should bode well for us. Since the etron, just the A3 etron is included in the study...I wonder if it is good to pay any attention to...

·
Super Moderator
132 Posts
I’m probably doing it all wrong! I put mine on charge every night when I get in at the end of the day. I charge back to 100% but I never really know day to day what might happen the next day. I very rarely charge away from home. Probably only used a public charger 5 times 11 months. I just don’t want to find I might need the range and get range anxiety! I have been out and down to 10 miles after getting to a charger to find it broken. Next charger was 8 miles in the wrong direction, it was really stressful. I got there with 1 mile left and it was the slowest charger you can get too. It honestly was a horrible situation and now I just want to be prepared for anything. At least in an ICE car if you need to suddenly drive 100 miles. (50 there 50 back) which can happen to me you can throw in some fuel and get going strait away. My anxiety comes from 2 parts 1: not actually not having range to do what I need too
2: also the time it can take to get my example of 100 miles from a public charger. You could be sat at a charger in the middle of nowhere for 2 hours plus waiting to even get on the way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, how you use the car determines how often you charge for sure. Me and Steviestainz above are similar in our use case...I drive under 15 miles round trip to work

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like to use my car a bit like a scuba cylinder on a cave diving expedition. A third out, a third back and a third in reserve. Managing energy resources that way is simple enough rule of thumb but admittedly doesn’t have the same ramifications as running out of gas half way between sink holes in Florida!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got recomandation to charge always, if possible , everyday because this lithium battery like micro recharges.
so at night i connect the recharger 7kwh flexible (if others devices are connected it decrease its power to a maximum of 7 kw of total consuption to avoid interruption).
In the morning the car is full .(etron 50 05/20, 325 km range/efficency mode 4100km)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got recomandation to charge always, if possible , everyday because this lithium battery like micro recharges.
so at night i connect the recharger 7kwh flexible (if others devices are connected it decrease its power to a maximum of 7 kw of total consuption to avoid interruption).
In the morning the car is full .(etron 50 05/20, 325 km range/efficency mode 4100km)
That's a great range on the 50. I'm awaiting delivery of my own 50, so its promising to see your results :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you like i can describe you how is may way of driving this car:
drive mode on efficiency
recharging option on manual
external temp in august around 32°
air conditioner on eco mode at 21,5° always on on lvl 2 vent (If u turn off clima you gain another 20 km of range but for me is not intelligent)
45% common roads, 50% into small town roads (6000 abit) 5% highway
use sail mode of driving often (let the car go using really softly accelerator and brakes)
this should be the right way to drive an electric or hybrid car
If u drive like a normal car the range decrease to about 50% of its possibility
if u dont believe me try it for a week and you will see your range increase day by day

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Andrea. I have a PHEV at the minute and use it on EV mode most of the time on pretty much the same types of road as you. It's a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, so it has the regen paddles and ability to 'sail' or coast which I'm using in the same way you describe. So I hopefully I'll have the technique nailed and get the same range as you. Just send over some of that warm weather please!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts