Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
179 Posts
I’m just back from a couple of weeks away with the car and repeated my 100% charge experiment on e-Tron 55 Launch Edition which I’ve owned now for 1.5 years. My mileage is still low, only 5,500 to 6,000 mi due mainly to the pandemic. Prior to setting out on my trip I did a full charge and it showed 204 miles range remaining. It’s still identical to my figure on the day it was received so I would say I haven’t had any decrease in battery performance when keeping SoC in the 20-80 range and reserving the full charge only for setting out on 200+ mi journeys.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi

Hi @Sammk , I read other comments here and in general follow several EV YouTube channels and it seems operating between 20 to 80% is optimal. You mentioned having a similar use case. I have found I charge usually every weekend and sometimes even go two weeks before I do. Luckily, I travel a short, enjoyable hop to and from work 12 miles with the occasional lunch or errand. I don’t know if you have found this to be the case...but I’ve been enjoying the game of seeing how high of kw per hour I can achieve. I seem to range between 2.5 to 3.1 usually. This in turn extends the time between my charges. I still enjoy DRIVING the car, but not in the boy racer kind of way (well, usually that way). In fact, a lot of times...I don’t even listen to music and instead relax and enjoy the electric whirring sound they’ve created for it. I know, I know...geek, but THAT is the EV experience just as much as enjoying a throaty V8. Lol. Sorry, I got a bit off the original convo. Regarding the charging...I say just keep between 20-80%...no worries going lower or higher on the rare occasion and just plug in during that middle window when it’s convenient for you and you want to feel that satisfying ’click’ when you plug it in. That and the visual gratification of that chill green glow are part of the EV joy of life. I am loving the car and feel Audi has built a tank here (in the best of ways). It is robust, tough and seems to be carved out of a block of steel. All that leaves for us to do is sit back, enjoy, charge reasonably and relish that Audi engineering!

I will go look, but am now curious about which etron/color combo you got?
ok so if I understood correctly, you are saying that One should bring the charge down to roughly 20% and then charge it back to 80%. Which in your and my case translates to once a week charging.

however @JNealCox & @polyphonic are saying the opposite. Both of them believe in micro charges, and say that you should charge your Battery back to 80% even if it is down to 50%. for our case that would translate to roughly charging every other day Roughly. Both of them are knowledgeable members and I have seen many posts around the forum.

I have Etron 50, black colour and dark brown interior.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Micro charging around the middle area. These shallower charges are less bad for the battery (source: Battery University)
Get in the habit of plugging in whenever you get home.

I keep the limit at 70% and drain it to about 50% every day. Before a trip: 100%. You don’t want to sit at 100% for hours and hours. Charge up and use it.

I’ve had other EVs and this has worked well. Can’t go wrong following their suggestion of 80%.
I would not recommend going down to 20%. The E-Tron starts to shut down at about 25%. DCHV charging is the worst charging method, so use it as little as possible. I think you can assume Audi has done its homework and that if you keep a charge between 25% and 80% (as recommended by Audi) you will get a perfectly fine life time out of the battery. After that you can get a bit geeky about it. A lot of what I have read advises more frequent shallow charges, as opposed to less frequent deep charges. For me and my driving habits, it's pretty simple for me to stay between 50 and 75% (the third quartile on the charging bar). That also insures I have about 100mi in the "tank" should an emergency arise.

Thankyou for your input. yes for my life Style it is also very easy to keep the charge between 50-80%. Just that I will have to charge every other day. That’s not a problem considering there is a charger at home.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
179 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I’m looking through the post and looking for best etron charging practices. I do charge with a NEMA14/50 at home and I only work 6 miles from my home. I could conceivably charge once every week and wouldn’t let the charge get TOO low...or is it like I read about a Tesla...better to plug in every night to 80% no matter the state of charge.

Any thoughts? Experience? Or is there a thread discussing this?

Thanks for any help!
I'm a new e-tron owner and have been confused by conflicting guidance on best charging practice - even "official" Audi input. Based on research I understand Audi "reserves" a portion of the battery at both the top and bottom end. My understanding this is 8% at the bottom and 4% at the top - total of 12%. This helps extremes at either end and prolongs battery life.

This is the best article I have found, based on analysis of 6,000 EV's, that helps explain how EV battery is impacted by various factors including charging - What can 6,000 electric vehicles tell us about EV battery health? | Geotab

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I'm a new e-tron owner and have been confused by conflicting guidance on best charging practice - even "official" Audi input. Based on research I understand Audi "reserves" a portion of the battery at both the top and bottom end. My understanding this is 8% at the bottom and 4% at the top - total of 12%. This helps extremes at either end and prolongs battery life.

This is the best article I have found, based on analysis of 6,000 EV's, that helps explain how EV battery is impacted by various factors including charging - What can 6,000 electric vehicles tell us about EV battery health? | Geotab
You are correct about the 8 and 4%. In general, EV batteries hate fast HVDC charging. As others have said, Audi recommends charging to 80% routinely, going to 100% for long trips. I think Audi probably mainly has the HVDC charging in mind with the 80% number (it is also the point at which Audi's excellent HVDC charging rate starts to decrease). With Level 2 charging, it is probably a bit of overkill, but at least for me and my driving habits it is not an issue. Also, typically EV batteries prefer more frequent shallow charges, as opposed to infrequent deep charges. I generally keep my battery in the 45 to 80% (roughly the third quartile) SOC range. That always keeps about 100 mi in the tank in case of emergencies.

Also, always remember that E Trons are not just another version of Teslas. What is said for Tesla batteries sometimes does not hold for the E Tron. Specifically, you do NOT need to occasionally charge to 100%. You do NOT need to keep your car plugged in all the time....E Trons do not suffer from Phantom Battery drain, for example, nor does it lose power due to OTA updates, nor from the need to warm the cabin at very cold temperatures to keep the touch screen from breaking.

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
162 Posts
This is the best article I have found, based on analysis of 6,000 EV's ... Geotab
I'm not a real battery expert, but this article is at best misleading on several aspects of battery life. I'd suggest something like this:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013.09.143

I don't disagree that an 80% charge target is good, but 70% would be better, and even better would be 60%. Limit discharge to 45% is very good, really want to avoid going below about 30% true SOC (which is about 22% indicated). And do keep enough for various unforeseen issues.

·
Registered
309 Posts
We have two EVs and there will only be one 40amp Wall Charger. So by design, at least one vehicle will not be on the charger. Which is perfectly fine for either battery. And if you have a charge limit set, it won't hurt to leave it plugged in.

We don't drive a ton, so a single charger is more than enough for us. As in most situations, we could just charge them once a week or so. Although I'd rather keep them in a higher state of charge... just in case. Then if we have an unexpected trip, there's plenty of range. Or we could just top off with the L2 charger.

So at least unless Audi released further guidelines, I'd just go with standard battery health practices.
Because I wanted to track efficiency, for 6 years, I charged my Model S to 85% once a week … unless I was traveling on long trips.
I’m doing the same with my new 2022 e-tron GT, except that the GT only allows charge limits in 10% increments, so I’m charging to 80% except for trips. I don’t worry about unplanned trips.
My wife has an F150 we use for trips because she never liked 1-hour Supercharger stops.
Even though the GT can charge much faster, EA chargers are fewer and farther apart … at the moment.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Because I wanted to track efficiency, for 6 years, I charged my Model S to 85% once a week … unless I was traveling on long trips.
I’m doing the same with my new 2022 e-tron GT, except that the GT only allows charge limits in 10% increments, so I’m charging to 80% except for trips. I don’t worry about unplanned trips.
My wife has an F150 we use for trips because she never liked 1-hour Supercharger stops.
Even though the GT can charge much faster, EA chargers are fewer and farther apart … at the moment.
Other thing with EA is that some my not be operating at full capacity or are offline. Even if you check on a long trip, they could go out at anytime before you get there. It’s great if they work or if there are other brands close by. Based on my experience, even though I may not need the 100% on a long trip, I will do it to give myself some buffer to go to the next one or to another brand if available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like to use my car a bit like a scuba cylinder on a cave diving expedition. A third out, a third back and a third in reserve. Managing energy resources that way is simple enough rule of thumb but admittedly doesn’t have the same ramifications as running out of gas half way between sink holes in Florida!
What do you mean by scuba cylinder on a cave diving? I think you should check the diving lore website to get some knowledge?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Regarding long term degradation, things look pretty good for my 2019 etron quattro which I got late Nov 2019. I pretty much use L2 charging to 80% regularly, but have used HVDC on rare occasions. According to my Oct RecurrentAuto report, compared with similar EV's, my battery is holding up really well. That little mileage boost-by-software for the 2019's may have made my score a little better than it really is?

Font Electric blue Parallel Brand Circle

I hope Audi develops a reputation for outstanding battery life and not just for lousy software development!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts