Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On advice I have set the car to stop charging beyond 80% (except on the odd occasion when I'm doing a long journey)

I drive about 50 miles/day several days a week.

I have 2 options to charging.

OPTION 1: every night just plug it in and top up to 80%. Battery will rarely go below 40-50% charge

OPTION 2: Drive a couple of days, Let charge go to 20% then charge. So less frequent charging but more KW going in per charge

Which of these 2 is best for battery longevity?

I have a 55 etron

·
Registered
Blue Etron 2019
80 Posts
Option 1 is likely better. Especially if you have a timer set to delay the charge until closer to departure time.

Setting a limit of 70% might be better, as long as you rarely go below 30%.

Two factors that limit battery life. Calendar loss, higher at high charge levels, longer time and higher temperatures. Cycling loss, higher at low charge levels, doesn't depend on time at those levels, and extreme temperatures both lower and higher. The way to minimize both is to stay as close to the middle of the charge range as you can, and charge as late as you can.

For the typical leasing arrangement in the USA, 3 years of ownership, none of this will matter in the slightest.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
EV batteries do not like infrequent deep charges, but rather more frequent shallow charges. Also, I generally try to keep at least 50% in the "tank" in case of emergencies (just like my old ICE vehicle). I would not want to bleed-out in the the garage waiting for my car to charge so I can go to the hospital. Option 1 is your better plan.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On advice I have set the car to stop charging beyond 80% (except on the odd occasion when I'm doing a long journey)

I drive about 50 miles/day several days a week.

I have 2 options to charging.

OPTION 1: every night just plug it in and top up to 80%. Battery will rarely go below 40-50% charge

OPTION 2: Drive a couple of days, Let charge go to 20% then charge. So less frequent charging but more KW going in per charge

Which of these 2 is best for battery longevity?

I have a 55 etron
I would think option 1 but reading reviews of battery life on older / other models it would be difficult to really degrade the battery. Audi has good battery management and a larger buffer to prevent battery stress

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I would think option 1 but reading reviews of battery life on older / other models it would be difficult to really degrade the battery. Audi has good battery management and a larger buffer to prevent battery stress
....I agree, but, where there is a will, there is a way! Down the road, I think Audi is hoping a lot of people in the Used EV market will agree with you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As above, mine is owned by a French bank and I give it back in 2.5 years and lease a new one, I don't worry about it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts