Audi e-tron Forum – News, Specs, Pricing & Ownership… banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an advice on a bike rack (1 or 2 ) that does not require a hatch installation.... really do not want to add the hatch...

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
As far as I know you have 2 options:
1) Roof racks and bike rack
2) Tow ball + bike rack

(1) is dependent on your car having roof rails. As far as we know, there aren't any roof racks that will fit an e-tron without roof rails.
(2) is something I'm exploring. Looking at a rear mounted rack (which folds back for access to boot) to get a box and bike rack system. Requires towbar installation though. Cruz have a good system. Thule too, but way more expensive.

·
Registered
2019 Audi e-tron Launch Edition 55
160 Posts
Bad mistake on my order, I had no idea that the rails weren’t available as a retrofit. At least there’s plenty of room in the back

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Bad mistake on my order, I had no idea that the rails weren’t available as a retrofit. At least there’s plenty of room in the back
Yep that’s a shame I think regardless of there practical use they look cool and finish off the lines really well. But it’s all subjective.

I had a Q5 and i too did not notice they where an option. I did get them put on the Q5 by an Audi approved body shop, but I’m not sure if you can on the Etron.
That said I don’t know if I would, they had to butcher the Q5 to do it and I was left with a really annoying squeak that never got resolved.
They looked factory finished but it involved some serious work and a new roof lining plus the cost was ridicules. But I was adamant I wanted them. Stupid really as I sold the car quite soon after! Then bought the SQ5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have an advice on a bike rack (1 or 2 ) that does not require a hatch installation.... really do not want to add the hatch...
Check out Stealth Hitches . Bolt -on with easily removable hitch receptacle. Not for towing , but you can make it "stealthy " .

·
Registered
2020 e-tron 50 Sport Grey with roof rails, privacy glass, storage.
17 Posts
Anyone tried one of these?

ttps://www.merlincycles.com/hollywood-f2-over-the-top-3-bike-car-rack-92136.html?utm_source=PHG&utm_medium=AffiliateMarketing&utm_campaign=phg-GB&ucpo=33023&source=PHG

I don't have a tow hitch, and I'm worried about damaging the car taking bikes on and off a roof rail carrier. Plus loads of places I go to cycle have car parks with height barriers that mean I'd have to take the bikes off before entering. So it does look like a good solution (and cost effective too!).

·
Registered
e-tron 50 technik
256 Posts
Not to mention its a bit more aero than the roof mounted solutions!

I had something similar on my Ford Focus a few years ago. Saris Bones 3 I think it was. It was a good solution and I managed to get 3 fairly weighty full suspension bikes on. No damage done at all.
The limitations are around boot access though. You need to take the bikes off before attempting to lift the tailgate. Depending how they it fits you may even need to dismount the carrier too.

I did have a problem mounting to a BMW X3 though. Whilst installing the carrier I accidentally opened the powered tailgate and in a couple of seconds one of the hooks (which was loosely installed as I hadn't finished yet) had dislodged slightly and became trapped between the tailgate and the roof... the roof buckled. It was £500 to repair, and it wasn't even my car! It was user error of course, but I would suggest disabling the auto tailgate if you can when installing and using the carrier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks Chrisechild, interesting.

I had something similar on my Ford Focus a few years ago. Saris Bones 3 I think it was.
I checked this out the Bones 3, but i think it suffers from the same issue as to why most rear window carriers aren't recommended for the e-tron. As you can see from the pic, the top straps put too much downward pressure on the rear spoiler, potentially damaging it. I'm guessing its not bolted on that robustly.

I picked out the Hollywood F2 becuase it has a raised frame to over-come this. If I do end up ordering it, I'll share here and let you know.

·
Registered
17 Posts
[

BTW the Hollywood F2 needs to have the top straps fixed around something. As the e-tron roof rails are solid (no gaps) I will also have to have a roof bar fitted to fix the top straps to.

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Hollywood F2 doesnt fit ☹

The top riser pole to miss the spoiler is a great idea, but the problem is at the bottom.

Basically there isn't enough 'lip' at the boot/trunk opening to sit the lower frame on.

I think this means no rear carrier will fit the etron. The only options are roof or hitch mount.

Shame as this rack is extremely well made. Double shame as I have to pay nearly £20 in return postage ☹☹

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, a company called Farad do a roof rail system which fits the e-tron without roof rails. There's a stream on this site detailing how it all works and where to order it 👍

·
Registered
50 Posts
So, yeah - recommend the rear carrier if you can. Much easier than roof and wasn't an expensive option. Can get four bikes (3 adult, 1 child)

Reactions: Stretch9

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is that on the factory fitted tow bar option? £650 I think it is.
Yes, that's right. Considering the vehicle, the option cost seemed pretty cheap considering the utility it offers. Adding bikes to the back is always easier than the roof, (you get more on, with less potential for damage).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, that's right. Considering the vehicle, the option cost seemed pretty cheap considering the utility it offers. Adding bikes to the back is always easier than the roof, (you get more on, with less potential for damage).
Agreed it's not a bad price at all for a factory option. And can use my existing thule ball hitch carrier. Off topic but I was looking at the Taycan x Turismo - the bike carrier preparation @ £345 which is some slots in the rear bumper and the carrier is £1,345!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Now, I'd love the Taycan x Turismo, but it's £20k more than the Sportback LE for the 4S with spec... Looks come with a price, and the Sportback is prety anyway I guess.

I've reused my bike rack from the LR Discovery, with the only difference being a 13 to 7 pin adaptor.

£1,345 for a carrier... right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts