Audi e-tron Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this cause a problem?
I tried to take the snow out/off, but I’m afraid to damage The front seems to be completely jammed inside. I guess I would have to park inside parking to remove the snow. It seems to be a lot less efficient with all the snow around.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

· Registered
233 Posts
I tried to take the snow out/off, but I’m afraid to damage The front seems to be completely jammed inside. I guess I would have to park inside parking to remove the snow. It seems to be a lot less efficient with all the snow around.
View attachment 8117
This is mostly a guess but I would think that any hot/warm coolant going through the radiator would melt the snow slowly if the coolant is warm enough. The snow would provide cooling while that is happening. So my guess would be that snow being stuck there should not affect it much given that it the car is in a cold environment and thus cooling needs are reduced. Audi tested the e-tron quite extensively in hot and cold climates. If this was an issue, I would think they made an announcement or put something in the manual.

· Registered
160 Posts
It'll cause problems and eventually damage the cooling system. So, bring the car to the garage. Then use a hair blow drier to melt off the snow and a snow brush scraper to chisel out the snow blocking the bottom grille. Keep the drier a safe distance to prevent damaging the surrounding ABS plastic, surface paint etc.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
It seems to be a lot less efficient with all the snow around.
Considering that all the openings supporting airflow are jammed packed, no wonder.
Then use a hair blow drier
An alternative I used before after super snowy days was just a car wash. They keep water reasonably warm in cold days so all of this grime will go away with water pressure and warmth. Most places will allow you a second run (or more) if the car is not reasonably clean. Garage would be best, though, especially if you have above-freezing temperatures in there.

· Registered
155 Posts
So, bring the car to the garage. Then use a hair blow drier to melt off the snow and a snow brush scraper to chisel out the snow blocking the bottom grille.
Some incredibly bad advice Never ever jam anything into that lower grill. There's an expensive set of auto shutters in there and an even more expensive radiator behind.
Just go to a hand car wash and gently wash that area out. And maybe stop using the e-tron to plow snow.

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
And maybe stop using the e-tron to plow snow.
In all fairness, I had front get much more snow and all I did was drive against wind in heavy snow. It packs quickly and fills in all front openings. It is also possible OP was driving in deep snow (not recommended but sometimes you do not have a choice).

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And maybe stop using the e-tron to plow snow.
I don't use the etron as a snow plow lol but the snow this week was up to your knees, so I had to drive out of a couple of snow Banks by the way the car does an awesome job at it put it in off-road mode and the way it goes.
no, I'm not going to jam anything in there I did that last year, and I think it damages to foam in there I had to have it replaced in the summer so that way, this year I'm so hesitant to remove the show because that plastic foam damage very easily, and it's very hard to replace that piece as it's covered from the whole front bumper.
I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but efficiency is not very good right now it's saying 45kwh per 100km was never that high, or its all the ice on the car.

My biggest concern is that it would damage to moving grills in there I know every time we plugged to Charge it does a test to open and close those grills and if it tries to open and it's full of snow I can't see it being very good.

I took it to the car wash and the charging doors are frozen shut I need to get a hair dryer now I don't understand why they didn't have it heated like the mirrors.

· Registered
160 Posts
Never ever jam anything into that lower grill. There's an expensive set of auto shutters in there and an even more expensive radiator behind.
I didn't say to jam anything into that lower grill. Did I?

I said
Then use a hair blow drier to melt off the snow and a snow brush scraper to chisel out the snow blocking the bottom grille. Keep the drier a safe distance to prevent damaging the surrounding ABS plastic, surface paint etc.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't say to jam anything into that lower grill. Did I?

I said
No, you're right. You didn't say to Jam inside there, but last year, I tried to take out the snow with the snow brush, which damaged the foam layer that's in there. That was my bad, and a hairdryer doesn't really work it's too cold outside and there to much snow last year that's what I was trying to do over 1h and very Little snow came out. i think ill have to go to an indoor shopping mall or something as I don't have a parking garage.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I took it to a hand car wash. Apparently, they only put the high-pressure hose trying to get the snow out of there. I didn't even mention anything about it but they did it. Anyways, I brought in the car for a car wash only, but that's the outcome now, so I guess this is going to become a yearly maintenance replacing that stupid part at least it's nothing mechanical only a small piece don't yet understand why didn't use stronger material, this was exactly what I was trying to avoid happening just like last year.

Attachments

· Administrator
2019 Edition One
1,618 Posts
Yes, it is probably 20$ in parts and then labor of getting it replaced. One would think that engineers would be able to predict something like snow compacting at the bottom of the grill. Equally stupid part is the placement of the radar at the bottom of the grill in 2019 year model. It gets grimy and all I get is the adaptive cruise control disabled even with minor dirt accumulation. I mean, seriously?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts